King's Heart (part 3 of 31)

a Final Fantasy 8 fanfiction by FFEverShadow

Back to Part 2 Untitled Document

Forcible Answer

            Quistis awoke and sneezed. She turned over and noticed that Xu was gone. She sat up and stretched. Xu exited the bathroom.

            “Hey.” Quistis yawned sleepily.

            “Quistis.” Xu said, her lower lip trembling. The blonde Instructor snapped fully awake at the sound of her concerned voice. “I…I got up last night and…”

            “What? Did something happen? Did someone sneak in?” she asked.

            “I was looking for a glass and I opened one of your drawers. I…” Xu felt suddenly foolish. She couldn’t accuse her best friend of something like this. Quistis was stronger than that. How could she ever doubt. “Sorry, nevermind. I just had a bad dream…when I was awake. Sort of a premonition you could say.” It was a complete lie but Xu was making it up as she went.

            “What was the dream?”

            “I saw you. You had become Ultimecia…” Xu continued. “But it was just a dream. I’m sorry if I worried you.” She forced a smile onto her face. But Quistis was every bit as observant as ever. She didn’t believe such a lie.

            “Seriously Xu, what’s wrong?” It was then that she came up with a better lie…though it was partially true as well.

            “This sleepover has gotten me thinking. We’ve grown apart recently. You’ve been off saving the world and exploring every single corner of the world, and I’ve been stuck at Balamb playing ‘leader’ until you guys get back. I’m afraid that our friendship is going to disappear, Quisty.”

            “Xu…” Quistis leaned over and gave her a hug. Xu returned it, squeezing so hard she thought she might die. “Well, we’ve got all day, what do you want to do?” Xu smirked evilly, she had something in mind alright.

.

.

.

            Unfortunately, the two were intercepted by a bouncy Selphie and an almost as excited Rinoa.

            “Oh Quiiiisssttyy…” Selphie sang. Quistis’s blood ran cold and she fought the urge to run for her life. “We’ve got a surprise for yoooooouuu…”

            “Er…um…” she stammered, looking for a way to escape. Xu looked on in amusement as she tried to get out of the situation.

            “This isn’t the best time, Selph.” Quistis laughed nervously.

            “Don’t be silly!” Rinoa said, a bright and almost sickening smile plastered across her perfect features. Quistis flashed another wary grin. “Trust me, you’ll like him…I mean it!” Selphie kicked her in the shin while Quistis groaned aloud.

            “You just gave it away!” Selphie hissed. Rinoa hopped on one leg, clutching her sore spot and muttering curses under her breath. “Um…pay her no mind…” she tried feebly, hoping Quistis had not heard.

            “Selphie,” she said exasperatedly. “I told you, no more blind dates. Especially after that midget…” She shuddered as a man half her size attempted to walk arm in arm. The date did not go well, seeing as how he clamored all over her in an effort to see the movie clearly.

            “But Quisty!! We really are sure about this!! Pleaassee?” She gave the instructor a sweet look that melted into a puppy dog face. Quistis, being the softy that she was, gave in. She hung her head and threw Xu a look of apology. Xu couldn’t help but giggle.

            “Fine…just this last one…you swear!” She pleaded.

            “Fine! If you don’t like this guy, we’ll give up entirely and let you live your life out til you become a cranky old lady that our children’ll have to visit.” Selphie said, sticking out her tongue. Of course that was what she had said the last time…and the time before that…and the time before that…

            Quistis Trepe hated blind dates. Selphie and Rinoa had dragged her shopping for most of the day to pick out the perfect dress and she still settled with something in her own closet. Something simple. Blind dates were such a bother and they always turned out to be a disaster. She dressed up but not too much. From her past experienced, dressing up too much was a bad thing, as her date would often not stop ogling at her. She wore a simple black dress with lace flower patterns at the bottom and elegant white gloves. She left her hair as it was and also wore a small necklace with a diamond at the end. As soon as she exited the door, Xu stopped her.

            “Very very nice.” Xu complimented, looking her over. She of course, had nowhere to go and wore nothing but jeans and a t-shirt. “You’re definitely out to kill tonight. Feeling lucky?” Quistis gave her a sarcastic smile and a semi-death glare.

            “Please, this is hardly getting dressed up. It’s because you’re so used to those farm clothes…” she teased.

            “Hey now, I’m not a well paid Instructor ex-SeeD like you are. I just do paperwork and all that. They don’t even send me out for missions.” She replied. “But in all honesty, you do look nice.”

            “Thanks, I wish I could say the same for you.” Quistis smirked and ran down the hallway laughing, leaving Xu pouting.

            “I’ll get you back for that!” she shouted after her. Quistis waved her gloved hand and disappeared around the corner. Xu sighed and stood there, thinking. She wasn’t lying when she said that Quistis looked nice. She looked too nice in fact. Am I attracted to Quisty? She thought with a horrified look on her face. No, of course not. She dismissed the thought with a laugh as she went towards the cafeteria.

.

.

.

            Her date was late, Quistis thought sourly as she checked her watch several times. She waited in a nice little restaurant in Balamb, called the “Flying Fish.” It was small but the food was excellent. Whomever invited her obviously had good taste.

            “Madame, are you ready to order?” A waiter asked. She shook her head.

            “Just give me a few minutes please.” She requested politely. He bowed and went to attend another person. She sighed and looked at the menu.

            “Good evening sir, may we take your coat?”

            “Yeah, whatever. Look, I’m here on a reservation. Timilett set me up.” The attendant scanned the paper.

            “Yes, Mr. Henrik, sir?” Quistis whirled around, recognizing the voice and almost knocked over her glass of wine. Hyne no…Seifer walked past her and sat down across from her.

            “Hey there Quisty? You’re the one on the blind date?” he asked. “Figures messenger girl would pull something like this.”

            “Um…sorry, I must be at the wrong table.” She apologized bitterly and stood up. Seifer stood up as well.

            “Woah woah, wait, Quisty.”

            “Don’t call me that. I’m leaving and giving Selphie a piece of my mind.” She snapped. Seifer grabbed her hand.

            “I’m not the guy Selphie set you up with. I punched his lights out outside.” He explained. “I’m not here for a date though if that’s what you want I’ll be glad to enjoy your company.”

            “What?” She demanded, sitting back down.

            “I’m here to discuss Ultimecia.” This caught Quistis’s attention.

            “Aren’t you supposed to be wandering the far plains searching for your true self?” she asked. Seifer laughed aloud, grabbing the unwanted attention of everyone around.

            “Butt out!” he snapped and everyone turned around. “Quisty, I’m not sane.”

            “We knew that,” she hissed.

            “No, I mean Ultimecia has planted a bit of her memory in me. When she controlled me, and she did,” he added seeing Quistis roll her eyes. “She controlled me but I fought back. When she died, she left a bit of memory in me. It was horrible when she controlled me, I knew everything about her and she knew everything about me. It was like we could share memories. But she planted those memories in me for one reason.”

            “And that would be…?” She asked, suddenly feeling as though this was a more serious matter than she had originally thought.

            “She’s coming back, Instructor.” Seifer said, leaning in with a dark expression. “Whenever she talked to me in my mind, she said, ‘you’re a boy, a messenger boy.’ I didn’t understand what she meant until she died. Quisty, she put those memories in me for a reason.” She suddenly understood what Seifer was getting at.

            “Wait, so Ultimecia’s alive?” she demanded. He nodded.

            “She’s alive but she doesn’t know that she’s Ultimecia yet. She and I are going to cross paths eventually and she’ll take the memories back. Once she takes the memories back, that’s when the future that you saw begins. I’m the messenger boy, I give her the memories, and she rises into power.” Qusitis gasped. “She’ll find me eventually, she’ll take her memories back and kill me. Then she’ll begin her reign and kill all the SeeD until puberty-boy from the past comes and kills her.”

            “Do you know how much time we have?” She asked. Seifer shook his head.

            “Well, she’ll have to find me while I’m alive, right? But who knows how many years it’ll take for me to die? Besides, Ultimecia might rule this world for hundreds of years before she is defeated.” Seifer replied. She sat back, shocked beyond words.

            “She’s coming back…what do we do?” she asked, too shocked to realize she was asking him for suggestions. Seifer sighed and leaned gently backwards, taking the bottle of wine and pouring a glass for himself.

            “Nothing.” He replied and took a gulp. “She’s too powerful.”

            “What if we kill you?” Quistis asked but she didn’t really mean it. Seifer smirked.

            “Trust me, I’ve tried. This life isn’t worth living much. I’ve thrown myself off cliffs, put a gun to my head and fired. This isn’t just Ultimecia’s memories, this is her power too.” Quistis jumped.

            “YOU HAVE HER POWER?!” She yelled. Seifer motioned for her to sit down.

            “Not really. I’ve got no control over her power. But her power is protecting me until she finds me. Basically, only Ultimecia can kill me.” He took another gulp of the wine and looked at her through the glass.

            “So what do you plan to do?” she whispered. Seifer shrugged.

            “I was hoping that you people at the Balamb Garden could watch me for a while. You’ve defeated the Sorceress once, maybe you can do it again. All I’m asking is that you keep an eye on me. As much as I don’t like it, it’s the only thing I can do to prevent Ultimecia from getting her power and memories.”

            “But she’s going to get it eventually…”

            “Oh yeah, that’s inevitable. But I don’t want to be the one responsible for it. I don’t want any more blame put on my shoulders.” He replied. “So, you going to help me or not?” Quistis stared at her fork.

            “I don’t know…you’ll have to come with me back to Balamb. Squall can decided…you can talk to Headmaster Cid and maybe Edea can help you…I don’t know…I’m just an Instructor. How would I know such things?” She said.

            “Fine, if I have to talk to Pubes, then so be it. Now…waiter!” he yelled, ready to order his food.

.

.

.

            Selphie and Rinoa ate quietly in the cafeteria. They were all worried about how the date was coming for Quistis.

            “You realize that if this guy doesn’t pique Quistis’s attention, we might as well give up forever.” Rinoa sighed.

            “Don’t worry! He’s perfect! Not as perfect as Irvine of course but he’s handsome, rich, charming and most of all, smart. Trust me, Quistis’ll like this guy.”

            “Someone mention my name?” Irvine said, walking up to them with a tray in hand. Selphie squealed and stood up, embracing him. “Woah now, someone’s happy today.” He laughed, setting down his food and returning the embrace.

            “Guess what?” Selphie said excitedly. “We set Quistis up on a blind date she’s sure to love!” Irvine cocked an eyebrow.

            “Well, if he’s anything like me, then I’m sure she’ll like him.” He replied.

            “That’s what we’re afraid of.” Rinoa replied, dully. Irvine put a hand over his heart, feigning hurt.

            “Lil’ lady, that stung.”

            “Ah, you’re just a load of hot air.” Zell laughed, slapping him on the back. “So, where’s Miss Trepe?”

            “Off at the ‘Flying Fish’ with her date that she’s sure to love.” Selphie said, obviously proud of her accomplishment.

            “Did you say, ‘Flying Fish?’” Zell asked.

            “Yeah, why?”

            “Well, just a second ago, I heard that some officials found some guy lying in the alley way, out cold. Apparently someone knocked him out but they didn’t mug him or anything. Just knocked him out.” He replied.

            “Who was it?” Rinoa asked, concerned that it was a serious matter.

            “Some guy named, Francis or Fred or something?”

            “Fredrik?!” Selphie screamed.

            “Yeah, that’s the guy! You heard about it too?” Selphie and Rinoa looked at each other with wide eyes.

            “QUISTY!”

.

.

.

            Xu walked up and down the hallways, clearly bored because Quisty was out on a date. She yawned a little and relaxed on the steps before Selphie, Rinoa, Zell and Irvine ran by her looking a little high-strung. She stood up and followed them.

            “Hey, what’s the rush?” she asked.

            “QUISTY MAY BE IN TROUBLE!” Selphie shouted. This got Xu’s attention like a dancing hot pink elephant.

            “What?!” she demanded. “What happened?”

            “We’ll explain on the way.” Irvine replied as they ran towards Balamb.

.

.

.

            Quistis sighed as they walked outside. There was so much information that she had just received. Ultimecia was still alive, Seifer was the carrier of her memories and power, they had to keep Seifer safe and on top of all that, it was clearly useless since the future was inevitable. Would she die trying to stop Ultimecia? Probably. So many other SeeDs had died in the future they saw before. She followed Seifer towards the pier.

            “You know, this sucks.” He said. “This just plain sucks. Of all the people Ultimecia could’ve chosen, she chose me. I want no part in this.”

            “Well, if your choices are any indication, you deserved all of this. You’re the one who succumbed easily.” Seifer sighed, letting a fine gust of mist seep out of his mouth.

            “I probably did deserve this but it doesn’t make things better. Anyway, I’d better leave before they find the guy I pun…” Out of nowhere Xu soared through the air and kicked Seifer in the face. Seifer flew back and into the ocean.

            “Quisty! Are you all right?” she asked. Quistis looked at the sputtering Seifer and then back at Xu.

            “What did you do that for?” She demanded. Xu merely looked confused.

Onwards to Part 4


Back to King's Heart Index - Back to Final Fantasy 8 Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction