King's Heart (part 28 of 31)

a Final Fantasy 8 fanfiction by FFEverShadow

Back to Part 27 Untitled Document

Make Me a Girl

Seifer lay on the deck of the Balamb Garden looking up at the stars. He listened to the slightly distant sound of the Trabia Snow Angels playing. He felt oddly at peace with the world, finding it a somewhat strange sensation when he was a man condemned to death.

“I wonder how Fujin and Raijin are doing.” He thought. “After everything…”

-

-

“You leaving?!” Raijin demanded.

“Yup. Going on a journey of ‘self discovery’ or something like that.”

“BULLSHIT.” Fujin hissed. Seifer winced a little at her sharp comment.

“Don’t be like that Fujin.”

“LIES!” She shook her head furiously.

“Fujin’s right, ya know? You wouldn’t just go off like that without a proper reason. We’re your posse, ya know?” Raijin agreed. Seifer sighed, having been cornered.

“Look, I’m just trying to away for a little, wait until tempers cool down. Once that happens, I’ll come back, try and make peace with everyone and whatnot.”

“NEVER.” Fujin huffed. “HATE FOREVER.”

“Ow, Fujin, that’s harsh.” Seifer said and then chuckled. “We’ll see.”

“But what will we do?” Raijin asked.

“You’re not helpless are you?” Seifer asked with a grin and with that he walked out of their lives, backpack strung over his shoulder and Hyperion strapped to his waist.

-

-

Seifer smiled. He’d put a request to find them. They were probably still back in Balamb, wasting their time. They were so helpless sometimes.

The door opened and a girl stepped out. She looked around, confused for a moment before noticing Seifer.

“Oh!” She exclaimed. “I’m sorry.” Seifer looked at her, puzzled. Why was someone apologizing to him?

“May I help you?”

“Sorry. This…this place is so big. I thought this might’ve been a stairway or something.” She looked around. “Wow. It’s really pretty up here, isn’t it?”

“Do you know who I am?” He asked, curious. She looked at him, tilting her head and scratching her chin.

“Hm…are you that kid in my class who always sits in the back and looks nauseous?” She inquired. Seifer laughed.

“You really don’t know who I am?”

“Why, are you someone special?” She replied cattily. He shook his head.

“No…no…it’s just that it’s been a long time since I’ve met someone who didn’t hate my guts. You’re new here, aren’t you?” He said.

“I just entered the academy.” She admitted.

“They don’t allow students to enroll at your age, do they?” He smirked.

“Special request. I was given permission by Cid. And I’m not that old! I’m only 16!” She retorted. Seifer simply smiled.

“Some of us entered before we were 10. Hell, some of us get SeeD position at your age.” She shifted uncomfortably.

“Well, I learned who you are. You’re someone I should avoid from now on.” She snapped.

“I didn’t catch your name!” Seifer shouted. She glared at him and turned on her heels, slamming the door. Seifer chuckled to himself and stared at the door for a little while before looking back at the stars.

“16, huh…? Young.” He sighed.

-

-

“There you are, Nira!” A blond girl waved viciously. Nira made her way down the steps and sat down beside her friend to watch the end of the concert.

“Sorry! I got lost. It’s a completely different place at night! Plus I ran into some creepy blond dude. I think he was trying to hit on me.” She sighed. Her friend cocked an eyebrow.

“Oooo, was it that kid in class who always looks nauseous?” She asked before bursting into a giggling fit.

“No! It was some weird dude with a grey trench coat and slicked back blond hair. I mean, he was cute but he was so obnoxious.” Nira replied. The friend blinked.

“Hold up, did you say ‘grey trench coat?’” She repeated.

“Yeah.”

“Oh.” Her friend whispered.

“What? What’s wrong? Is he taken or something?”

“No…it’s not that.” Her friend shifted uncomfortably in her chair and looked down at the ground. “That’s Seifer…” Nira’s eyes widened exponentially.

“Wait. YOU MEAN THAT SEIFER?!!!” She demanded, standing up.

“No, Nira, wait!” But the girl didn’t listen. She bolted back up the steps and back towards the deck.

Seifer was simply resting his eyes when he found an altogether unpleasant burning sensation on his eye lids. When he opened his eyes, he found that his head was up in flames.

“JEEZ!” He yelled, jumping to his feet and casting a spell. No sooner did he put out the fire when a girl flew through the air, straight at his face. He dodged easily, trying to make sense of what was going on. When he realized who it was, he grinned.

“Man, don’t like me that much after what I said to you, eh? I didn’t realize I made that much of an impression on someone.”

“SHUT UP YOU JERK!” She screamed, coming at him with a blizzard in hand.

“What’s with you?” He said, melting the blizzard with a fire.

“YOU BLEW UP MY HOME! I LIVED RIGHT NEXT TO TRABIA GARDEN AND YOU BLEW IT UP!” She yelled, tears of frustration collecting at the edges of her eyes. Seifer hesitated and it was in that instant that she connected a solid punch. Seifer held his ground, looking at her in shock. “YOU KILLED MY MOTHER! YOU KILLED MY BABY BROTHER! Do you have any idea what it’s like to be outside playing and then watch your home go up in flames?!” She collapsed on the ground in sobs. Seifer looked down at his hands and then back at the girl. He knelt down next to her and put a hand on her shoulder. She pushed it away forcefully. He hung his head.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered.

“Just go…go roll in a ditch and die somewhere.” She cried. I wish I could…if that would make you feel better…he thought sadly.

“Is that why you had to come here?” He asked.

“Shut up.” She hissed. He tried to smile, to think of something to say that would cheer her up.

“Well, if you never came here…you wouldn’t have met me!” He said before instantly regretting it. Damned foot in mouth…he thought. She glared at him and slapped him. He looked at her sadly and stood up.

“If it makes you feel better…” He drew his gunblade and she shirked away, expecting the worst. Instead, he held it out sideways, offering to her. “Stab me.” She looked at him quizzically. “Go on, I deserve it.” She stood up and placed her hand on the hilt of the sword. He let go and she nearly dropped it. It was so heavy, how could anyone hold it?

“Wait…why?”
“Just do it if you want…if it makes you feel better.” He responded, standing with his arms outstretched. She looked at him and then back down at the Hyperion resting in her grasp. Visions of her mother and little brother came to mind and with a choked scream, she plunged the gunblade deep into his chest. Seifer coughed and gave a small cry of pain. Nira pulled back, horrified by the blood on her hands. Seifer collapsed on the ground, the Hyperion still embedded in his chest. Blood poured from his mouth and he mustered as much effort as he could to pull the sword out. When he did, the wound closed and he spat out most of the blood.

“What the hell?!” Nira shouted. “What are you?!”

“It’s a long story…” He gasped, standing up and staggering a little. He bent down and picked up the gunblade again. “Here. If you want to do it again, feel free.”

“YOU CAN’T DIE?!” He shushed her.

“Don’t blurt that. No one’s supposed to know.” He brushed his fingers against his chest. “Still hurts like a bitch though.” Nira covered her face.

“I’m imagining this…I’m imagining this…” She hissed. Seifer shook his head.

“Look, you can stab me again if it’ll make you feel better. I’m sorry that I can’t die, believe me, it would be a lot easier if I could.” He took a step towards her, the gunblade still outstretched. She hit his hand away and the Hyperion fell to the ground with a loud clatter.

“Just leave me alone!” She ordered. He heaved another sigh and shrugged. If she didn’t want to let her anger out, that was fine. He walked over to his Hyperion and bent down to pick it up again when she stopped him. “Leave it.” He looked at her quizzically.

“I do believe it’s mine…”

“Leave it. Leave it as payment for ruining my life.” She snapped, wiping her eyes. He said nothing and left.

As he entered through the door, he scratched the back of his head furiously. Even now his mistakes were haunting him. But he didn’t understand why she needed his Hyperion. She probably didn’t know how to use it properly, apart from stabbing and such.

Seifer froze in cold blood a 30 feet away from the exit to the balcony. Without thinking, he sprinted back and burst through the exit, only to have his eyes widen in horror. Laying on the deck in a pool of blood was Nira. She had somehow managed to impale herself on his Hyperion.

“SHIT!” He hissed, rushing over to her. He sorted through all the spells in his head but only came up with a cure. He prayed it would be enough until he got her to Kadowaki. He removed the blade and quickly cast the cure just as more blood seeped out. The bleeding slowed but kept flowing out. He picked her up, disregarding his Hyperion and bolted down the hallway. It was quiet in the Garden, most of the students and faculty had gone to the concert. Preferable…he thought. That way they won’t think of me as a murderer. He shook his head. He didn’t give a damn about his reputation, he wanted the girl to live.

“KADOWAKI!” He yelled, breaking through the door. The doctor jumped in shock.

“Seifer, what…” She stopped when she saw the unconscious girl in his arms. “Goodness! Set her down immediately!” She ordered, jumping to her feet. Seifer set her down on a bed.

“I can’t stop the bleeding!” He said frantically. Kadowaki administered a Curaga on Nira and the bleeding slowed even more.

“I need you to get out of here right now!” Kadowaki snapped. “Go, go fetch my assistant. He lives in the 4th corridor, room 112. Go, GO NOW.” Seifer sprinted out of the room.

-

-

“Something wrong?” Becca asked as Xu absently stared out the window of her room. Xu jumped.

“I didn’t hear you knock.” She said, clutching at her chest.

“I told you I would come up in a few minutes…” Becca replied, closing the door behind them. “Well, what do you think of it so far?” Xu sighed dreamily.

“It’s amazing. I mean…there’s so much I haven’t even seen yet.”

“I’ll be sure to show you more of it.” She sat down next to Xu’s bed and watched the younger girl. “Andri’s been acting like a fool since he saw you. He hasn’t done anything he’s supposed to.” Xu blushed.

“Silly.”

“No, love-sick.” Becca replied. “What do you…” Xu stood up.

“I think I need a walk…” Becca stood with her.

“I’ll accompany you.” She said. Xu shook her head.

“No, I just want to walk around alone.” She went out the door and shut it softly behind her. Becca watched the door, hoping she would come back. When she didn’t, the older woman flopped down on the bed and stared at the ceiling.

Xu walked around the garden again, looking down at the small flowers still trying to bloom. She sat down on one of the stone benches and sighed.

“Who’s there?” Xu jumped a little and her heart sank when she saw who it was.

“Oh! Andri…” She said.

“Xu?” He turned bright red and scratched the back of his head. “How…how’s it going?” He asked nervously.

“It’s not bad. It could be worse I guess.” Xu replied, turning away. He sat down next to her. “How about you?”

“I’m doing well.”

“So what have you been up to these past few years?”

“Nothing in particular. Becca keeps us busy but I like it. There’s always enough time to do what you want but not too much time so that you’re bored. She lets us go into the cities and explore but mostly we’re on this island. I mean, it’s not bad…” Silence passed between them. “Um…how about you?”

“I’ve been at the Garden. You’ve probably heard about it in the news…but we’ve been up to a lot of things. I mean, you know, the thing with Ultimecia, Galbadia and what not…”

“Yeah…” The two sat. Andri shuffled his feet a little and toyed with the pages of his book. “I’m glad that Becca found you…” He admitted. Xu sighed.

“Andri…look, I know how you feel…”

“Don’t worry, Becca already told us you were off limits.” Xu’s head shot up and she stared at him.

“What?”
“Becca told me, well, a group of us after I saw you again that you were off limits…that none of us could be anything more than friends with you.”

“Why?” Xu demanded. Andri shrugged.

“She told us it would be in our best interest if we didn’t get too close to you.” Does she know about Quistis? Xu thought. It certainly wouldn’t surprise her. Becca had an uncanny knowledge about everything in her life. She shook her head. No, Becca couldn’t know…few people did.

“But…uh…” Andri went on, turning even redder. “Supposing…supposing that Becca hadn’t told us…”

“I’m sorry, Andri, it wouldn’t have worked out.” She said. Andri let out a sigh and smiled sadly.

“I thought so.”

“But we can still be friends?” She asked quickly. He nodded.

“Of course!”

-

-

Seifer paced outside of the door, waiting for Kadowaki and her assistant to step out and give him some news, preferably good news. When the door did open, Seifer all but pounced on the doctor.

“Well?” He asked.

“She’s going to be weak from the loss of blood for a good while. You have explaining to do.” She said evenly. Seifer sighed in relief.

“Good.”

“That wound came from a blade of some sort.” She noted accusingly.

“She tried to kill herself with my Hyperion.” He replied. Kadowaki walked over to her desk and sat down, staring at Seifer.

“Continue.”

“I met her just today!” He defended. “Look, I was minding my own business when she met me. I thought she was just another student. She left after we exchanged a few words…” He trailed off.

“Seifer…”

“I blew up her home.” He admitted. “Back during that missiles stint of mine, I accidentally blew up her home and killed her family. When she found out, she tried to attack me. After she realized she couldn’t kill me, well, she asked me to leave my Hyperion as payment. I didn’t think too much about it so I just left it. Before I knew it, she stabbed herself with it.” Kadowaki folded her hands on the desk.

“You realize that if word gets out, Squall will…”

“Yeah, yeah, pubes can do what he wants. I don’t give a crap what they think about me, not like it could really get much worse.” Seifer shrugged. “So long as she’s ok.” Kadowaki nodded.

“She’ll be fine. I suggest you get some sleep yourself.” She replied.

“I can come visit, right?”

“Given what you just said, I doubt you’re the first person she wants to see.” Seifer chuckled to himself.

“Then I’ll be the second. You can be the first.” He replied waving and exiting.

-

-

When Edea found her, Adel was sleeping soundly in the garden. The older woman smiled a little, remembering that the other orphans did the same thing when they were younger and she would call them for dinner, only to find them passed out in the shade. It called back memories of better times. She and Cid never had children, she of course didn’t want to pass the powers onto any of her children which no doubt would’ve happened if she had given birth.

They’re all my children. She thought with a smile.

“Adel.” She said softly, leaning over the girl. Adel stirred.

“Matron?” She sat up. “I mean, yes?”

“It’s time for lunch.” Edea said, offering Adel a hand. The girl stood up on her own. The older woman smiled at her stubbornness.

“Good, I’m starving.” Adel replied, brushing off her back. They walked back towards the orphanage. Some White SeeD were already seated, waiting for Edea. Most of the building had been completed and only a small portion of the back had yet to be rebuilt. Cid smiled when he saw the two enter the room.

“Ah good, I was wondering how long you were going to make these young boys wait.” He said. As soon as the two sat down, the White SeeD dug into their meals with fervor. Edea looked at Cid warmly but noticed a slightly distant look in his eyes.

“Dear…” She whispered. He blinked and his eyes cleared.

“Yes?”

“Is something wrong?” She asked. Cid shook his head.

“No, everything’s fine.” Edea lowered her eyelids.

“Darling, I can read you like a book. There’s something on your mind.” She said. Cid chuckled a little.

“You can indeed.” He sighed. “I was just thinking…it’s just a trivial matter anyway but as tiring as it was, I miss the raucous and the students of the Garden. I was wondering how they were doing.” Edea smiled.

“I was wondering the same.” The White SeeD glanced from Edea to Cid and back. Finally, one of them spoke up.

“We could take you there…it wouldn’t be hard to do.”

“It’s too much trouble.” Edea replied. “It’s quite alright, I’m sure that the Garden is holding up just fine under the younger generation’s watch. It’s time we let that go.” Cid nodded in agreement.

“Yes…but I would like to check up on them…” Edea too wanted to see how her children were holding up but she didn’t want to interfere with whatever it was they were doing. Their appearance, especially since they needed to bring Adel with them, would no doubt cause some extra distraction to whatever it was they were doing.

“We’ll discuss this later, dear.” Edea replied. “Now eat before your lunch gets cold.”

-

-

Seifer approached the bridge, flanked by two SeeD who had somehow managed to fight their way through the Training Center where Seifer had tried to ditch them. Angry, bruised and cut up, they glared at the man they were supposed to protect and Seifer could feel the chill of their hatred even when he wasn’t looking at them. Nida noticed them out of the corner of his eye and turned around.

“Hello, Seifer…” He said cautiously. “What brings you to the bridge?”

“I thought I would visit you of course.” He smirked, clapping the pilot on the arm. Nida brushed his hand away.

“What do you want?” Nida asked.

“I was wondering if I could put in a request to go to Balamb…” He replied. Nida looked at him coldly.

“Why? So you can terrorize the residents there some more?” Seifer laughed.

“No, just looking for some old friends.” He answered. Nida shook his head.

“I can’t do that, Seifer. I need clearance. You need to get permission from Squall or Cid.”

“You can’t bend the rules for me?” Seifer batted his eyelashes and Nida shuddered, looking away.

“Just get him out of here.” He commanded. The two SeeD seized Seifer’s arms but he shrugged them off.

“Fine, I’ll have a talk with pubes, see what he thinks.” He said before marching to the elevator and closing the door before the two SeeD could catch up.

-

-

Squall looked over all the documents he had to approve before sending them off. He hated all the paper work. It wouldn't be long before he found someone to take over. He didn't really like the temporary position he had as commander. The battle had been won and he deserved a break.

“Squall?” Rinoa entered the room softly. He grunted in response. She walked on over to him and put her arms around him. “What's wrong, baby?”

“I need sleep.” He sighed, reclining back on the chair. She kissed him atop his head and smiled.

“How about you take a small break?” She suggested.

“Sounds like a good idea.” He replied, getting up. Just as he was about to exit the room, the door opened, narrowly missing his face. Seifer stormed through the door.

“Hey, pubes.” Seifer said.

“What do you want Seifer?” Squall snapped, taking a step back.

“What say we stop by Balamb?” Seifer suggested.

“Why?” Squall replied.

“I'm sick of the cafeteria food. I want to eat Mrs. Dincht's home cooking!” Seifer said, grinning. Squall narrowed his eyes. “Look, I want to head back there because I want to see if Raijin and Fujin are still there and Nida won't do it without your instruction.” Squall hesitated a moment before shrugging.

“Fine.” The sudden approval took Seifer aback.

“What?” He said.

“You heard me. I'll call it into Nida right now.” Squall walked over to the phone and picked it up, dialing to the bridge. “Nida, it's Squall. I give full permission to go to Balamb. Yeah, no, I'm sure. Yes, Seifer did talk to me, yes I'm still sure. Right.” Squall hung up. A moment later, Nida's voice came over the P.A.

Attention all students and faculty, the Garden will be headed for Balamb tomorrow. Please make sure to gather here before then. I repeat, the Garden will be heading to Balamb tomorrow.

Seifer looked at Squall with a puzzled expression. Squall and Rinoa walked out of the office without saying another word. Once they were out of earshot, Rinoa tugged on Squall's sleeve.

“Um...what was that?” She asked. Squall shrugged again.

“Look, I know Balamb's not going to be very happy with him returning but the way I figure, it'll be best.”

“I'm not sure I follow.” Rinoa replied skeptically.

“If he manages to find Fujin and Raijin, we won't have to waste our time protecting him so much. Fujin and Raijin are better body guards than we could ever manage and he'll probably keep them by his side at all times which is saying much more than now.” Squall explained nodding to the fact that the two SeeD he had assigned to Seifer looking quizzically around trying to locate their lost subject. Rinoa smiled.

“And here I thought you were being nice to Seifer for once.” At hearing this, Squall scoffed and went on his way.

-

-

Xu walked through the mansion, admiring the architecture. Whoever designed the house had talent. It was all decidedly modern and the material must've cost a fortune. She got so caught up in observing the mansion that in the next moment, she found herself wandering into Becca's study.

At first she didn't realize where she was but it wasn't long before she spotted many, many pictures of Becca and other people on the walls. Most of them were of her at some small town posing with Dr. Cradus. They were often with a research team standing next to weapons she recognized from suits of armor to giant attack robots. She gazed up at how Becca changed through the years. In the earlier photos, she looked gangly and awkward but as the years wore on, she matured.

“Xu?” Xu jumped when she heard the voice.

“Bejeez!” Xu exclaimed, clutching her chest.

“You lost?” Becca asked, closing the door behind her.

“Yeah, I guess I'm still getting used to this house.” Becca sat down in her large chair and opened up a drawer, pulling out a pen. “I'm sorry...are you working?”

“No, no.” Becca reassured. “I'm just finishing up really. Dinner's going to start soon. Andri's cooking, he's a fine cook. Never really had the aptitude for anything else though.”

“Do you think I have time for a nap? I'm exhausted.” Xu asked. Becca looked at the clock on her desk and nodded.

“I'll wake you when dinner's ready.” She replied. Xu walked over to the door and peeked out, then looked back at Becca sheepishly.

“Um...”

“Go down the hall, take a left, second door on your right and up the stairs.” Becca said with a smile. Xu bowed her head and went on her way. When she reached her room, she collapsed, not even bothering to crawl under the sheets and she dreamt.

She stood in the garden, taking in all the scents, sights and sounds. She could hear footsteps coming up behind her and she smiled, knowing full well who it was. A pair of arms encircled her waist and softly kissed her on the cheek. She turned around.

“Hey.” She said, breaking out into a grin.

“Hey.”

Xu leaned in and kissed Becca on the lips.

Onwards to Part 29


Back to King's Heart Index - Back to Final Fantasy 8 Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction