Peach Girl: An Untold Tale (part 9 of 19)

a Peach Girl fanfiction by Lina

Back to Part 8 Untitled Document

Dressed appropriately for school, I flew out my door with a slice of buttered toast sticking out of my mouth and my jacket half-on. "Mom, I'm going to school early!" I said, my words unclear and rather muffled.

"Okay, Mo. Good luck!" my mother called out to me, waving good bye with her usual smile.

As I continued to put my jacket on, I walked over to the side of my house where my bike was chained up. Entering the code and removing the chain from my bike, I hopped on it and sped furiously out of my small backyard and onto the road. A week ago, Haruhi had given me her address, and I decided to pay her a visit, hoping I wasn't too early.

I turned onto a side street and made several more turns, finally crossing a large street that was crowded with early-morning rush hour. Finally making my way to a set of apartments, I stared up. "Third floor, apartment 306." I smiled and let out a humble laugh, chaining my bike to a near-by pole and running to the entrance of the apartment. This apartment had an elevator, so after an employee showed me my way to it, I took my journey to the third floor.

I walked down the hall nervous, hoping her parents wouldn't be mad at me for coming so early. When finally getting to her door, I stepped to it, then stared to the right, and then to the left. I walked off, but then talked myself into finally approaching the doorbell!

Ding dong.

Hm, that's a weird doorbell, I thought. But there was no answer.

Ding dong...

Well, I guess she's not home. I started to walk away, when a girl jumped out the room. I screamed when I saw her face, but quickly recovered, realizing it was just a facial mask. My face lit up red. I had realized I made a lot of noise. "Sorry, sorry!"

"It's all right. What are you doing here so early, Mo?" She stared at me with a face of confusion. I could barely see the expression with the green glob on her face.

"Is that you, Haruhi?"

"Yup. What's up? I never expected to see you on a Monday. Especially at this hour." She let out a giggle, but then widened her eyes with embarrassed shock. "I am so sorry!" She rushed into her apartment, waving for Momo to come in.

"It's all right! Don't worry about it, Haruhi!" I laughed. "You know, you've got green glob on your face." I pointed to her face.

"... I do!! I'm sorry, I'll be right back!!" Haruhi ran into what I guessed was her bathroom. In ten minutes, she returned with a no-glob face. "So, Mo, what are ya doin' here?"

"Oh, I don't knooow," I said with a silly tone. "Just kidding. I thought we'd go to school together... Hey, where are you parents?" I stared around, for the first time, noticing that she was the only one home. "Are they at work?"

"No..."

"Oh, where are they?" I stared at her, blinking a few times. Then, I scratched right above my ear. "My hair has been annoying me lately."

"Uh... well, you see... I live alone." When she said this, her words fell flat. She stared off to the side, not making any eye contact with me.

"Oh... should I not ask? I'm sorry." I looked down at my feet. Then, I stepped into her living room and sat down on her small couch. "Is it okay if I sit here?"

"Yeah, sure! Don't worry about me! My parents kicked me out last year, but they promised to pay the rent on my apartment, so I'm fine!" She smiled at me, but I could tell it wasn't a sincere one.

I was finally learning something about Haruhi, but it wasn't pleasant. Haruhi lives a hard life, not one like mine. I actually have a mother. No, I don't have a sister or brother, or even a father, but I do have one parent. I smiled sadly at her, deciding not to bring it up again. "So! Haruhi, when will you be ready?"

"Uh.. let's see..." She glanced up at a hanging classic white clock, then licked her lips while she made a decision. "Thirty minutes."

Those thirty minutes flew by quick, and soon, we were running out the door, chasing each other through the halls, flying down the elevators, and zooming off on our bike. Haruhi didn't have one; she normally walked to school everyday, so I pedaled her along on the back of mine. Sure, we were late coming to school, but it was fun!

When we walked into our class room, again I got the feeling that we were being talked about. My eyes searched the room for Sae, but she wasn't there. Hm, I wonder where she is... that's kind of funny.

"Momo, they're staring at us..." I heard Haruhi whisper to me, and I nodded.

"I know. Don't worry. Just go to your seat. Oh, and make sure no one trips you."

After five or so minutes, our teacher came in and took attendance as usual. It turns out Sae was 'sick,' but I doubted that. She was probably modeling, or doing something less important than school. Or maybe even setting up a plan for us, but that last one seemed unlikely. Sae came up with plans, usually automatically.

"I heard her friend's a porn star. Is that true? Are those two secret lovers? What do they do on weekends together?" I heard behind me, two girls chatting about us. I let out a low growl, barely audible but was heard by the two. They instantly shut up.

"Hey, I'd like to see a porn movie with those two! The rough beach bunny and the not-so-innocent lamb. I'd totally buy it!" More rumors flew around the room, ranging from porn star rumors to us being twins separated at birth. All that ran through my mind was, 'Don't these kids have a life?'

When the day finally ended, I said good bye to Haruhi and asked if she wanted to come over later, and possibly do some bargain shopping.

"No, Momo, I can't. I'm sorry. Maybe tomorrow, though. I have to work today, but I'm off then!" She gave me a very cheerful smile, and of course, I returned it.

"All right! Tomorrow it is, then? I'll see you later!"

That very night, I got a call from a hospital. Turns out Haruhi was there.

And that I was the only person she knew.

Apparently her parents weren't alive...

Onwards to Part 10


Back to Peach Girl: An Untold Tale Index - Back to Peach Girl Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction