Voyage of the Dauntless (part 69 of 69)

a Original Fiction fanfiction by Al Kristopher

Back to Part 68 Untitled Document

Volume Ten: Demise of the Dauntless

 

“The Glue that Holds Us: Dauntless divided”

 

“Sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, and twenty. That’s your share. Okay, one, two…this would’ve gone a whole lot faster if the client didn’t pay in cash.”

“Well, what can ya do,” said the Heavyworld woman as she raked her growing pile closer. “Sometimes you gotta take what’cha can. I remember this one guy I chased— awful sweet kid, tried to seduce me before drawing his sidearm— I was forced to get just forty percent of my original asking price on account of some old enemies showing up. That’s just the facts of our lives. You run and you gun, and pray they happen one at a time.”

“Twenty thousand apiece is still twenty thousand,” reasoned the gunwoman. “I’d say that, all things considered, the four of us made a swell break of it.”

“I’m not so sure about that. The fight he put us through was tougher than twenty K’s worth. Four against one and he still wouldn’t go down. What a mess.”

“At least we got paid,” the half-Inu reasoned. “I’ve taken jobs where the only reward was an overwhelming sense of satisfaction. That and a handshake, if I was lucky.”

“Ouch. Why do people think they have a right to be tightwads, specially when they was beggin’ us for our help not but a day ago?”

“We humans have short memories. Well, Miss Yeriman, what’s on our plate after this? It’s a nice bonus, but we won’t be able to live high off the hog.”

“I’m actually taking a vacation soon. I’ve been planning one for a long time now. Yeah,” she said, noticing the looks her partners were giving her, “I know. I just look like I need a break. Somewhere peaceful and out of the way.”

“We’re too far away from the Saturnian resorts,” the gunwoman mused, “but I seem to recall a nice lil’ place not far from here that might do the trick. Dang! What was it called, sug? You know, the place that…” She made a face, but the Heavyworld woman obviously didn’t know what she was referring to.

“I’m actually going to a place called Onogoro,” the half-Inu stated. “I’ve already made reservations for a week. I’ll be swimming, sailing, scuba-diving, taking in the local flavor, maybe find a cute girl to spend a night or two with…”

“You should’ve stayed with that Grim Reaper chick,” gestured the woman to her right. “It sounds like the two of you would’ve been cute together.”

“Don’t get me wrong: Arine was pretty fun and sweet,” she grinned. “But we were both on the move all the time, each to her own destiny. I’d at least like someone who can walk down the same path as me.”

“Don’t look at those two,” her nearest companion teased, referring to the gunwoman and the Heavyworld lady nestled together. “Lord even knows why they’re together, but they’re nigh-inseparable. Onogoro, did you say?” The half-Inu nodded; the gunwoman snapped her fingers.

“O’ course! That’s what it was called! Dang, I can’t believe I forgot the name of that planet! Ain’t that where Fuuka and Athena came from, hon?”

“I think so. Maybe we’ll run into them.”

“I doubt it,” said the other woman, stretching her arms out in front of her. “Knowing Fuji-san, she probably set up a clinic on some super-advanced world like…uh, Strategos or Alfheim. Ha…I wonder how they’re doing.”

Valti Brignor smiled at Allegra, Kate, and Sati, feeling nostalgic all of a sudden.

“It hasn’t been that long since we saw them last,” she muttered nostalgically. “I mean, I know it feels like a long time, but really, it’s only been a short while. Things have changed and the worlds keep turning uncaringly. Perhaps,” she said with a grunt as she stood, “it’s time we all take Miss Yeriman’s example and relax. Maybe we could even hit the beach.”

“Yeah,” Kate said as she gathered her share. “But it won’t be the same.” Thick silence held sway over the small group for a moment, until they picked themselves up and prepared for liftoff.

 

……

 

None of the four women had ever been remotely close to Onogoro, so they didn’t know what to expect as they got permission to dock. It was mostly an aquatic planet, dotted by thousands of archipelagos and millions of scattered islands. There were no continents in the common sense; the largest island was about the size of three countries squished together. Despite the freckled surface, finding Fuuka’s home was surprisingly easy: the Fujiwara clan was not only world-famous, but renowned throughout several planets and systems; people from all over came here to be treated, or to study underneath the masters. Sati, Valti, Kate, and Allegra were surprised to learn their sweet Fuji-san was so famous: she always acted so humble and nonchalant.

Boats on Onogoro were simple, but very powerful and efficient; they were the main source of transportation, after all. Many of the constructions were mimicked in spaceships; some were even considered works of art. They were all powered by steam, too, which was in abundance on the warm, pleasant world. A disaster tens of thousands of years earlier had melted the ice caps, but now the world was in constant summer, even the poles. It never got too hot, and the people were never wanting for fuel or water; the stuff they sailed on was bland, but potable.

“Ugh, warm water,” Valti cringed as she tasted a sip. “That’s not the sort of thing I’d want on this world. It’s so muggy.”

“I like it,” Kate smiled. Allegra chuckled and nudged her with an elbow.

“You’d like any world after livin’ on Utopia for a few years. Why don’t’cha take a more optimistic view on things, Val, and just be thankful they got plenty to drink. Some of us had to live with thirst now an’ then.”

“I’m just saying,” she grumbled. The ferryman (or rather, the ferry-Kitsune) paid them no mind and took them to the shore of Kyuto, where the famous Fujiwara clan called home.

“Still hard to believe strangers claim to know young miss Fuji-san personally,” he said idly. “Last I recall, she never knew nobody that came off-world except for that rabbit-friend of hers. But, the doctor’s changed since she’s been here last— a big change, the kind that anybody’d notice. I reckon this’d be one of those changes. You tell her Meniguro said hullo now, hear?” He waved at them and tied his skiff to the docks; the four women stretched their limbs and took in the primitive beauty of Onogoro. The island of Kyuto was deliciously tropical; the warm white sand squished delightfully between their toes; the sea air and gentle sun kissed their necks; palm trees greeted them and hopping white gulls sang before flapping away. The few Kitsune wandering around the beach were all naked, and as comfortable with their situation as they would’ve been around their loved ones.

“Foxes, foxes, everywhere,” Sati observed. Her large furry ears wiggled, and she grabbed her tail. “I hope I’m not antagonized while I’m here. The Inu and the Kitsune used to be mortal foes not that long ago.”

“The Kitsune used to be mortal foes with everybody!” Valti yawped dismissively. “They hate the Elshyrin and they made war on the Usagin. Humans don’t trust them, and Saurians think they’re supper. Relax, okay? People forgive and forget.”

“That doesn’t mean I’m not nervous,” Sati grumbled. She had no reason to fear, though. The few Kitsune that noticed them went back to their play, except one, who waved at them. Sati grinned anxiously and waved back. Despite its idyllic environment and famous medical centers, Onogoro received very few tourists— most likely because it was so far removed from all the major roads of travel. This isolation helped it develop a unique culture, but it didn’t help the four women, who were desperately searching for tour guides. Sati went off on her own and booked an inexpensive hotel, but Allegra, Kate, and Valti wandered around, looking for Fuuka’s house.

“Is there a Fuuka here?” mused one of the older natives, scratching his grey fur. “Hmm. I can’t remember. Wait— wasn’t there a Fuuka in the Fujiwara house that left on a journey about half a year ago?”

“Yes, she traveled with us. Do you know if she’s here?”

“No, I’m afraid not,” he smiled. “I really don’t pay attention to who comes and who goes.”

“Then do you know where the Fujiwara house is?”

“Of course,” he said, pointing his cane in a south-southeast direction. “There’s a path through those trees that leads to the main Kyuto village. There’s no mistaking the Fujiwara house once you get there.”

“Okay, thanks.” Valti called Sati and told her where to meet them. A short walk later, the three women found the village, and sure enough, the Fujiwara house stood out from the others. Its roof was painted a brilliant yellow color that glowed at night and glittered in the morning. There was a Kitsune outside doing laundry, singing catches of a melancholy song to herself.

“I’ve walked ten-thousand miles, ten-thousand miles to see you…and every gasp of breath, I grabbed it just to find you. And every single step of the way, I paid…every single night and…day…I searched for you, through sad stars and hazy dawns, I reach for you…” Even though her back was turned and she was dressed differently, there was no mistaking their former comrade.

“Fuji-san,” Kate called. The Kitsune jumped and turned around, dropping a large towel. Her face lit up in a beautiful glow.

“Hey, you guys!!”

 

“Here you go, Kyuto’s finest brew. I hope it’s not too strong.” The four women— Sati had joined them later— each sipped the tea, and found it quite invigorating.

“It’s perfect,” Valti said. “Did you make this yourself?”

“Hardly,” she chortled. “I just gathered a few herbs. Athena’s the tea master of the family.” At that moment, clad in a kimono so pale pink it was almost white, Athena strolled in, kneeling gracefully on the floor with a tray of snacks and drinks in her hands, kissing Fuuka gently. It was like watching a dance, enthralling.

“So this is your home,” Allegra said warmly. “It’s gorgeous.”

“Thank you. You’re welcome to stay as long as you like.”

“We have been meaning to take a vacation, RIGHT SATI?” She ribbed the half-Inu gently. Sati just smiled.

“I’m just glad people here don’t look down on me because I’m a half-Inu,” she muttered.

“Of course not!” Fuuka exclaimed. “This is a quiet, friendly, beautiful world. Everyone’s either forgotten about the past or has decided to move on. Inu and Usagin are quite well-loved here. But…ugh, just don’t bring that filthy snake here.” The others laughed; even Athena smirked.

“You haven’t changed,” Allegra exclaimed. The laughter died down into serenity. The main question hanging on everyone’s minds was ready to be asked.

“Have you two heard anything about what the others are doing?”

“I’m afraid not,” Fuuka smiled sadly. “Onogoro is isolated from most of the other worlds, and so we don’t get many travelers. We know that Lil and Aseria are working with the Sindarin defense force.”

“Right. Kaori and Riene are with them,” Sati said. “I ran into them before I met you all; they said they were going to explore some of the unknown regions of space. That’s definitely something Riene would be good at.”

“They frankly couldn’t ask for a better person,” Valti added. “She’s got diplomacy and language. What about the others? Is there anyone else you’ve heard from?”

“Sorry,” Athena replied, shaking her head. “Fuu-chan and I have sort of taken root here. I know that what happened came as a surprise, but we’ve found a way to move on and live our lives. Besides, I never cared for most of those people.”

“And the ones you did care about?” Athena shrugged.

“We’re happy living here. I think everyone just assumed that with Dr. Miracle gone, we could all get back to what we were doing before we met.”

“And you’re not the least bit curious about what might’ve happened to her?”

“Of course we are,” Fuuka said. “And we’re worried, too, but what can we do?”

“They do have a point,” Kate said. “Remember how long it took everybody to rent ships? I can’t even imagine how you’d go about doing that here.”

“We barely managed the first time,” Athena told her. “This time, I think we’ve had our fill of adventures. We’ve decided to settle down and…maybe raise a family, too.” She smiled subtly but beautifully; Fuuka covered her hand and scooted a little closer.

“I understand where you’re coming from,” Allegra sighed. “And I guess you’re right. There ain’t no point in worryin’ where Amy is, or wonderin’ why she went up and left us like that. We all gotta go on and do our thing.”

“It’s for the best,” Fuuka agreed. “Anyway, feel free to stay as long as you’d like. If you’re going down to the beach, please invite us as well.”

“Do we have to walk around naked?” Allegra blurted. Fuuka laughed and Athena snickered.

“I see you’ve noticed. There’s no dress code for the beach. Wear whatever you want.” Allegra made a face as she considered this. Never had being free been so…restricting.

 

……

 

Major Aseria Tolan’s new flagship Silmaril was a sight to behold, but Kaori didn’t sign on to be impressed. Shortly after Chuunaru’s promotion, she was given the challenging task of working alongside the young empress as representative of the universal military. She was neither intimidated nor apprehensive: Kaori made sure that everyone knew she was Aseria’s equal, at least as far as the military was concerned. Just to be safe, Admiral Schwarzburg personally recommended her to the Emperor, just before his return trip to Gaea, and even gave her a partner to work with. Thanks to his mother’s tireless efforts, the Schwarzburgs and the Latolis were among the most influential families in the European region following the construction of the Continental Republic (formerly the Mimirian Empire), and so they had grown to be close friends. Admiral Schwarzburg had married one of their family to strengthen the bond, so naturally he trusted his distant relative. Riene hoped she was up to the task.

“You’ll do fine,” Kaori assured her with a smile. She had fallen in love with Riene at first sight, but wanted to keep their relationship professional. After all, she would rely on her to be diplomat and translator. “In fact, you might end up upstaging me. I’m no good with social graces.”

“Most of us always thought of you as a friend,” she assured her. Kaori laughed quietly.

“A rogue’s gallery like yours? I’m flattered, but professionally speaking, that’s not the sort of group I should be acquainted with. Um, no offense. I mean, you seem to be very congenial and… See what I mean?” She blushed and chuckled; Riene felt a little more at ease. But only a little. “Anyway,” Kaori resumed as she straightened her collar, “I’ve some business to take care of with Major Tolan. I’m afraid we’re going to be butting heads for awhile, so you might get to see some early action.”

“Watch out,” she warned her playfully. “You and Aseria might actually get along if you’re not careful.”

“Thanks, I’ll keep a lookout.” She waved and was on her way; Riene returned to her quarters to finish unpacking. She was glad to be working with Aseria and Lil again, and it was always nice to see Kaori, but…even so, she felt lonely.

“Darn it,” she sighed as she sifted through her suitcase. “I wish I had taken a picture of them.”

 

“I want to get something out of the way before we begin our professional relationship, Major Tolan,” Kaori stated firmly. “While I’m on duty, I am neither your friend nor your confidante. My official orders are to track down and capture several of the women you had working alongside you aboard the Dauntless. I’m hoping that our personal feelings on the matter will be disregarded, and that we can cooperate together.”

“You’re asking me if I know where the others are,” Aseria gestured. “Or perhaps I should put it this way: you want me to reveal the location of people I once called my friends.” Aseria smiled craftily at the human. “You misjudge me. Just like any human, you assume we’re a race that will betray their best friend at the drop of a hat— if it means personal advancement. Now, I know you’re not stupid enough to confuse us with the Elshyrin, but really, Chuunaru, give us a bit more credit. We have more honor amongst us than your people.”

“I was not assigned here to discuss species ethics. The SDF has long been one of the strongest arms of the military, and our respective leaders thought that a coalition in light of the recent developments would be beneficial. I’m asking you because you are the highest-ranking officer onboard and you have had more personal contact with the people in question.”

“Recent developments?” Aseria glanced at her calmly, raising an eyebrow. Kaori realized her blunder too late, and paled.

“Forget I said that. I need to know on the record. My personal feeling no longer matt— ”

“Don’t go telling me my former friends are that infamous, Major,” Aseria gesticulated as she closed in like a panther. “I don’t claim to know them, but not even a hundred of them would cause my father and your director to put us together. They have a bigger use for us and I don’t like not knowing what that is, especially since I outrank you.”

“Lineage has nothing to do— ”

“What’s our real assignment, Major Chuunaru?” Aseria stabbed Kaori with her finger and pushed her face close, until she could smell the woman’s apprehension. “Lillianne is with me because she’s my partner, my right hand. But why is Latoli with you? We’re not going to explore mystery space, are we?”

“Our official orders are to travel to a certain destination in what is supposed to be uncharted space, where we will rendezvous with another allied group. If you can’t give me any names, Tolan, I can’t tell you anything else. Quid pro quo.”

“Somehow I knew you’d do that,” she muttered. “You’re hardly the negotiator Riene is, though. Still, I’m happy to see you didn’t buckle. You might be a dog, but you still have your pride. Very well, let’s start with something easy. The Acheron sisters are with Captain Elapidae, looking for another tagalong. I have no idea where they are now, but they were going to Alpha Centauri last I heard.”

“All right. Our destination is Kelthos Prime.”

“Yup, that’s about as uncharted as they come,” Aseria sighed. “I suppose it’s my turn now. I think Sharyn and Lyara are on New Avalon now, in their little love nest. I have no idea where Vimmy and Kyrie are: they vanished without a trace. And let’s see…I believe a few others joined up with that Inu friend of yours to become bounty hunters.”

“I know about that. If Sati’s keeping an eye on them, then I don’t need to worry.”

“You must be very close to her,” Aseria purred. “Let me ask you something, Major: if we’re going to Kelthos Prime, why do you need to know where the ex-crew of the Dauntless is?”

“We just want to keep tabs on them,” she muttered. “The military, I mean. As for my part, once we get to Kelthos Prime, we’ll receive orders to head out to Demesne. Prime’s just a stepping stone.”

“Demesne is the home world of Demise Industries,” Aseria sang proudly. “Thank you, Major, you’ve been most helpful. I don’t need to give you any further information.”

“And why not?” Kaori snorted.

“Because if Demise Industries is asking for both our forces to attend a secret meeting, it’s likely there’s some foul deeds afoot. This might just be a hypothesis, but my guess would be…civil war. Or at least a coup.”

“I’m not confirming anything for you until you tell me where the rest of the crew is.”

“That’s just like you!” Aseria cackled. “The military’s only good for two things: denial and wholesale slaughter. But that’s all right; I can tell the story for you. The reason I say there’s a coup is that the young Lord Demise, Moriarity Antony, has been missing for the past several months— since the Space Race ended. The little tadpole got it into his head that dear Lord Uncle had acquired his throne by…less democratic means, and fears that, as the direct heir of the family legacy, his life is forfeit, because Demise senior has the power to blot him out. His technology is crucial to the military, the economy, travel and transport, nearly everything that runs our modern lives. Maoska doesn’t want interference from dear nephew, and so he calls upon a few guard dogs to take care of the intruder. Ergo, our new professional relationship.”

Kaori frowned gravely and turned pale. She was ashamed at herself for underestimating this woman. Sure, she knew the heiress of the Sindarin Empire was something of a genius— and a brilliant one at that— but she didn’t expect her to put everything together so well. Letting that one bit of information slip had been the biggest mistake Kaori made since she attacked those pirates in the Race. She could only compose herself and move forward, hoping that Aseria was gracious enough to throw her a few more scraps.

“Brilliant deduction. But like I said, I won’t tell you anything until I get the information I’m looking for.”

“I figured my part out all on my own,” Aseria tittered as she walked away. “A smart little whip like yourself should fare no worse. To Kelthos Prime, then, and may the gods have mercy on us all, for being that madman’s pawns.”

 

……

 

“Wrench’s place, this is Eve. …Yeah, Kasberry. …Yeah, I came back. …I know, it’s been awhile. So what can I do for ya, Kaori? I hope you didn’t scratch up that battle-armor I gave ya. …Ahuh. …Ahuh. …Wow, really? How’s she doing? …Huh, she sounds better. You know, she looked real upset the last time I saw her. …Yeah. Well, it turns out that— ah, not now, can’t talk. Someone might overhear. …Just somebody involved, that’s all! Look, I’m just glad she’s okay. Tell her that Becky’s all right, too. …Yeah, she’s working for me. One hell of a weapons modifier, and easy on the eyes, too. …Nah, I’m not like that. I’m already sleeping with one woman; the other one ran off. Lord knows where— I could really use her help. …Kyrie. Kyrie Lastgear. …Yeah, the same. Hey, listen, this isn’t some slimy maneuver of yours to get me to rat out my friends, is it? …Look, don’t take it the wrong way, Chu-Chu; I just got attached to them and… What, you don’t like it? I think it’s cute. Anyway, I got Mink, Shana, and Herut here, too. …No, we’re not up to no good. We’re working for ma. …For the boss. …Carlisle Marguerite Renchina Miguel? She’s my mother. …Don’t sound so shocked, Chu-Chu: where’d you think I got all my talent? But it’s not all genetic, I can tell you that! …Yeah. I’m gonna surpass that ornery grease monkey one of these days. …So what can we do for you?

“Holy shit,” she said after a length pause. Eve covered her mouth in surprise. She took a ragged breath before trying to speak again. “Uh, no, I wouldn’t know anything about that. I haven’t seen the kid since the Race. I mean, I’ve read the news, but… Is that right? Huh. That’s a strange pastime. So where’s everybody else? You know, some of us are worried about them. It’s been two months and we’re getting sick. …Because I wanted to see my family again! What about your folks, huh? How long has it been since you’ve seen them? …All right, I’m sorry. I know we’re not exactly friends, but we ain’t enemies either. …Yeah, I’ve been thinking about that, too. But we’ve all managed to move on. …It sucks, I know, but we just didn’t feel connected anymore. …You’re right, Kaori— you’re absolutely right. Amy Miracle was the glue that held us together. Damn…

“When I first saw her, I said to myself, ‘this scrawny little bookworm won’t last a day’. And she always managed to prove me wrong. …Kaori, I don’t want that to happen. Nobody wants that to happen. …Please don’t make this complicated, Chuunaru. We’re just trying to live our lives out here. I’m with family, all right? …A new project? Well, I’ve been toying with this idea ever since I saw one of those silly cartoons Fuuka watched. …Yeah, Fuuka Fujiwara. Anyway, let’s just say that it was inspired by that cartoon…and by that suit I hope you kept in good condition. …I’ll charge you an arm and a leg if you break it, Chuunaru— you know my policy! …It’d be nice if we were friends, Kaori, but we’re not. …Heh, you know I don’t trust you military dogs. …Okay, I’ll talk to you soon. Don’t be a stranger, okay? Just don’t tell me you ruined that Damascus! …Okay, bye.”

Eve sighed heavily and brushed the bangs from her face. What a mess.

“Did she tell you anything about Amy?” Mink asked as she walked by. Eve shook her head.

“Nah. The Dauntless isn’t top priority for the UCM now that we’re not on it. She says she’ll keep an eye out, but no guarantees.”

“Oh. That’s too bad.” Eve knew Mink well enough by know to tell that she was worried. But could anybody blame her? When Miracle and Rachel vanished like that, everybody seemed to lose spirit all at once. The crew scattered, went back to their own lives, and forgot about one another, and their zeal. They could pretend to be concerned as much as they wanted, but in the end, they were more content where they were.

Also, what was that nonsense about Kaori warning them not to…

The phone rang again. Carly cursed and yelled for someone to answer it. Eve picked up.

“Wrench’s place, this is Eve. …Yes, Eve Kasberry. …What kind of proposition? Wait a second— how old are you, kid? Is this a prank or something? …Concerning my crewmates?! How in the hell… Oh my god.” Her hand drooped and she covered her mouth again. Kaori’s warning was coming back to haunt her.

Just stay away from the Demise family. They’ll try to get in touch with you, and… Please, just stay out of it.”

I’m the person that was flirting with everybody at Centania! Please, you have to listen to what I say! The crew of the Dauntless is my only hope now!”

“What do you mean by that?” she demanded. The boy on the other end spoke hastily.

“I just need your help. My uncle’s gone crazy. He’s meeting with people that…I think…have something to do with that…incident at the Race! You know the one I’m talking about. Just trust me for the moment, and I promise I’ll make everything clearer later on!”

“Kid, I hate to tell you this, but you’ll have to solve your own problems. The Dauntless is missing, her crew is separated, and I’m enjoying my new life here. Please don’t call me again unless it’s for business.”

“Don’t hang up yet!” he blurted. “Wait, wait. Just hear me out.”

“Make it quick,” she grunted impatiently. He acceded to her demands.

“I think I know who took the Dauntless and your friend. That’s all I can say.”

“Wait— took?” He hung up before Eve could say another word. She turned the phone off, put it back in its slot, and sighed deeply. Rebecca noticed her and gave her a sharp tap on the back.

“Come on, you’re the last person I expect to slack off. We still have that V-class Gazer unit to complete. Who were you talking to for so long anyway?”

“Kaori Chuunaru,” she replied thickly. “Riene is with her.”

An emotional silence hung.

“Oh.”

“And…Lord Moriarity Antony Demise, Junior called,” she added emotionally. “He wants to bring the crew of the Dauntless back together again.”

“Yeah, good luck with that,” Hill snorted. Eve called out to her as she returned to her job.

“He says he knows where Amy Miracle is.”

Rebecca put her load down and turned around to face her coworker.

“I’m listening.”

 

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

 

Preview of next chapter

Alala: Hey, what about us? Doesn’t anybody want to know where we are now?!

Yenae: I guess we’re so predictable that nobody bothered explaining where we ended up.

Alala: …I guess. Anyway, in the next chapter, the story takes a dramatic turn as the young Lord Demise makes his exciting return!

Lord Demise, Jr.: Wahoo! I jumped at the chance to recruit a bunch of women for my cause!

Yenae: What cause is that?

Lord Demise, Jr.: CAUSE I’m ready to get my freak on!!

Yenae: …Huh. Well, I walked right into that, didn’t I?

Lord Demise, Jr.: But seriously, folks, you won’t want to miss the next chapter! I do my darnedest to gather together the crew of the Dauntless! Who will come? Who will stay? Who will I choose to be my girlfriend? ARGH, the possibilities are endless!

Alala: …

Yenae: …

Alala: Um, anyway, be sure to stay tuned in for the next chapter, “Dauntless United?: we still have a job to do!” So, um, with Amy gone, who’s going to be our new leader?

Yenae: You are, fuzzy mittens! (cuddles)

Lord Demise, Jr.: WHOA!!! (nose bleed)

Alala: Actually, I kinda like the sound of that!!


Back to Voyage of the Dauntless Index - Back to Original Fiction Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction