Voyage of the Dauntless (part 56 of 69)

a Original Fiction fanfiction by Al Kristopher

Back to Part 55 Untitled Document

“Dark Side of the Moon: Selene’s embrace”

 

At first the Acherons attributed the sensations they were experiencing to fatigue. After all, they had taken control of the ship from Aseria ever since leaving Pluto, and they had scarcely rested since. But then their weariness was strengthened by loneliness, silence, emptiness, a forbidding chill, and even despair. There was no scientific cause for this as Fuuka gave them a bill of excellent health, and there was nothing particularly wrong with the Dauntless, as the repairs from Avatar were still holding strong. Kay and Tee had only noticed this change once they were within reach of Gaea’s moon, and it became stronger still as they circled it for a landing. The strength of this misery came as an even greater shock when they remembered that this is what they used to feel all the time, before they left their homeworld.

“This is what Earth and her orbit feel like,” Eve suggested as the crew gathered together. Everyone else noticed the distinction as well and demanded an explanation from the natives onboard. “When Allegra, Riene, the twins and I left it for space, we immediately noticed the change. I know this may not make any sense, but Space no longer felt like space to us.”

“It was like being buried under hot blankets and then suddenly bursting out of them,” Allegra said.

“Or walking in the dead of winter and then turning around to see spring,” Riene added.

“Or breaking away from Space into the Heavens,” Amy murmured.

“But there’s no scientific explanation for this!” Valti exclaimed, gesturing like a windmill. “Why should Gaea be different from any other world? What makes it so special?”

“We really can’t say,” Eve said, getting nods from her fellow Gaeans. “We just thought that the change only extended to the band right outside our orbit. I don’t know what else to tell you.”

“Whatever it is, you’ll get used to it,” Allegra murmured.

“I don’t think I want to,” Alala hissed, and several others agreed with her. In the end, Amy had to demonstrate her resolve once more, and followed the handful of natives onto the lunar surface. Since it was generally considered that if a lame, nearsighted bookworm could handle it, anybody could, the crew filed in and prepared for a taxing adventure.

 

Earth’s moon has, of course, played a vital role in all cultures since the dawn of time, and no author has the skill or the resources to fully catalogue humanity’s ode to their haunting neighbor. It has been Mary, holy virgin pregnant with promise; Artemis and Diana, wild goddesses of the hunt; and Aphrodite, the embodiment of love. It was Selene and Luna, Phoebe and the Buffalo, the Old Man and the Rabbit; it has been called Sulva, Domina Oriens, Nanna, Thoth, Mani, Tsukoyomi, Rahko, Tecciztecatl, and many others (in fact, Chandra was given the Hindu name for Moon). Jules Verne sent a team of explorers to it a hundred years before the launch of Apollo 11; Arthur C. Clarke buried a legendary alien monolith beneath its surface; C.S. Lewis suggested a civilization lived on the “far side” 150 years before it became a reality. Even Lillianne knew about the Moon: the poem she had recited on that empty world described an apocryphal warrior-queen imprisoned in its depths. Now, though, it was just another pit stop for travelers, with 75 percent of the surface covered by domes and construction, a rank-and-file shell of her former solemn glory.

The Sea of Tranquility had been faithfully preserved for centuries, however, and was one of the few places left on the moon that actually looked like the Moon. Two monuments stood out, though, that continued to draw a stream of humble pilgrims. One was the image of Armstrong’s first footprint upon the lunar surface, exactly as it had been six-hundred years ago, a symbol of humanity’s “giant leap” into the heavens. Directly next to the print was a plaque that commemorated the opening ceremonies of the Space Exploration movement thirty years earlier. All the major languages of the Earth had been inscribed on the plate; it read, “‘Supra luam sunt aeterna omnia: Beyond the moon are all the eternal things’ — Cicero”.

As usual, everyone was left to their own devices once they arrived. There were malls to shop at, tours to take, a museum, a handful of observatories, a place where you could rent a moon buggy, garages, stores, hospitals— every convenience of home. Just as Allegra predicted, everyone adjusted to the irregular sensations, and soon it felt like any other world, or at least any other world with no natural atmosphere. Those who spent their whole lives on Earth adjusted the fastest, but this made them even more curious about the celestial phenomenon. Amy had a fairly good idea what it signified, but she kept it to herself since it would be incredibly hard to prove.

Allegra and Kate decided to distance themselves from the others and go on a date. Lady van Landingham wanted to prove that she was not uncomfortable with being in love with another woman (even though deep down she was, a little), and taking some time out just for the two of them seemed the best way to go about it. She felt she needed to be honest with Kate, and as they took a buggy out to Tranquility, she revealed her feelings.

“Ya gotta understand that it’s not the principle, just the change. I had a husband I loved and children I cherished, and I had to leave all that behind cuz’ of what I did. I do love you and I want to move on with my life, but that isn’t somethin’ you can just do. Oh wow, would ya look at that!” She pointed to a white streak in the far distance: a shooting star was crossing Earth’s atmosphere. Everything seemed a little nearer and more real on the moon, even with helmets protecting them from glare and desolation as far as the eye could see. Kate saw it too and smiled.

“I understand. We’re taking it slow, but I’m okay with that. Now where’s this monument supposed to be?” Kate was poorer with directions than Allegra and couldn’t even make sense of the map they had. On the other hand, years of wandering North America had given Allegra an excellent sense of where she was and where she was going, and she found the monument faster than most tour guides would. The two ladies gently hopped out and shuffled across the dusty landscape, careful not to move too suddenly. Kate was accustomed to a world with much heavier gravity, and so it took her a lot longer to adjust; she kept panicking and underestimating her steps. Allegra tried to help her, but she couldn’t help but laugh at the woman’s clownish antics. By the time they arrived at the monument, they were both worn out and had drained more oxygen than necessary.

“Feels like that time on the Necropolis,” Allegra murmured. That too had been an airless wasteland, but the moon had an eerie sense of beauty about it compared to the bleak desolation of the Graveyard Planet. If one died here, one felt like they could be at peace, cradled by Selene and Tranquility. They could see all of Deep Heaven spread out before them and so there was less to fear— less, but not nothing. Allegra’s comment caught the attention of another pilgrim, who bounced over with equal clumsiness.

“Did you say ‘Necropolis’?”

“Uh, yeah.”

“You mean you’ve actually been there? I thought I was the only— ” The stranger stopped herself and peered into their visors. It was a little difficult to see, but it looked like she recognized them. “That makes sense!” she laughed, shuffling closer. “No wonder you knew what it was like! We meet again.”

“Sorry, we can’t see you very well, and these radios don’t do much for the voice.”

“Right, right, I’m sorry. I ought to reintroduce myself: it’s been quite awhile since we’ve seen each other. Marsa Rosemont, at your service.”

“Oh yeah!” Allegra exclaimed, reaching out to grab her glove. As the crew of the Dauntless explored the galaxy, they seemed to meet more friends and run into more enemies; this woman was certainly one of the former. She was the ex-High Priestess of Tigris, who had performed the wedding ceremony for Alala’s mother and stepmother, as well as purified Rajani, participated in the Dauntless Cooking Contest, and visited the Necropolis with Allegra, Yenae, Kyrie, and Alala.

“So what’re you doin’ on the Moon?” Allegra said. “Just passin’ through?”

“Yes. I came to pay homage to the place where ‘it all started’— at least for humans, anyway. I’m on my way to Gaea.”

“So are we! Maybe we’ll run into each other.”

“I hope not,” she replied, smiling sadly— though they could not see this subtle expression. “The job I’m going to will be very dangerous.”

“Then maybe we should tag along. Twenty-five has to be better than twenty-four.”

“No, I could not possibly impose,” she murmured. Allegra and Kate both gave her a friendly pat on the back which, in that gravity, has the same effect as a firm push.

“Hey, you helped us out plenty of times! Besides, it’s not like we’ve never risked our necks, or our schedule’s set in stone! So where are you headed?”

“Well, if you must know,” she blushed, “I’m going on a sacred journey from a region called Cheena to a region called In-die-a.”

“Is it very far?” Kate asked. Allegra was confused until she realized that Marsa might not know how to pronounce certain country’s names.

“Oh! You mean from China to India! By the great horn spoon, woman, I hope you ain’t thinkin’ of walkin’ that far! That’ll take you years!”

“I wasn’t thinking of going the whole journey on foot,” she replied humbly. “But regardless of how I get it done, I must follow that exact path.”

“What for?” Marsa didn’t answer them at once. Instead, she checked her oxygen, which prompted Allegra and Kate to do the same.

“Perhaps we can continue this discussion indoors. Don’t worry, I won’t set out without telling you. I would be honored if I had some companions with me.”

“I think we’ll stay here a little longer first,” Kate said. They waved goodbye and watched Marsa putter away in her buggy. Kate now had a dozen questions about the Earth, but now was the time for silent reflection, for awe and inspiration, for privacy without the interference of outside agents, regardless of their importance. They left ten minutes later, and did not say a word until they removed their suits, relieved to break free of them.

 

……

 

“Is this seat taken?” Rebecca smiled feebly at Riene, who happily offered the empty chair to her. It was good to see her taking the initiative, even for something as small as this. Rebecca was still trying to adjust to her new wings— she had to re-tailor all her clothes or else learn how to fold them up— but she was putting a brave face on, and she even gave Riene a little smile.

“So what are they planning?” she asked, referring to Marsa and the group huddled around her. Riene flipped the hair out of her face. She really ought to have it cut soon…

“Well, you know how Lyara said she’d help Sharyn find that last artifact?”

“Oh yeah. Very romantic.”

“It is,” she gushed. “But from what I’ve overheard so far, there’s more treasures to be had. Apparently Lady Rosemont stumbled across something and would like to explore. Looks like we’ll be on Earth for awhile.”

“That’s your home planet, right?” Riene nodded wistfully (if a nod can be considered wistful) and stared out the windows, past the stars to the magnificent sapphire orb in the sky.

“Yes, I’m an Earthling, born and raised. I’m European, actually— Italian if you want to be specific…although it’s been centuries since anybody’s used all those old names.”

“I’m afraid you’re talking over my head,” Rebecca answered. “I don’t know much about Gaea. It’s a little embarrassing, being such an unseasoned bounty hunter.”

“But you’re learning along the way,” Riene replied. “Isn’t that the whole point of the journey? I’m sure all the greats have done something like this. You’re following in their footsteps. Anyway, the Earth is…well, it’s hard to describe. It’s sort of like one enormous melting pot of human culture. They used to have all these countries and regions, and there are more languages here than there are in half the galaxy. Why, if I started talking in my native tongue, I don’t think anybody else could understand me!”

“How many languages can you speak?” she wondered, feeling entranced. Riene really had to think about that.

“Hmm…off the top of my head, I’d say I’m comfortably fluent in at least a hundred, and I can do a fairly decent job with at least fifty more. I know a smattering of some eighteen languages that derive from others, and given enough time, I can learn several more.”

“That’s incredible!” Rebecca exclaimed. “How’d you make the time to learn so many?”

“I had a Merovian as a teacher,” Riene answered warmly. “It’s said they can understand every language in the galaxy— maybe the universe. She taught me that every language is easy to understand so long as I can grasp two concepts: one, it’s not the words but the meaning; two, they all came from the same source. Well, that was her theory, anyway.”

“What source would that be?”

“I’m not sure. It has a name I can’t interpret well.” Riene shifted in her seat, adopting a more relaxed position. “So what do you know about the Earth?”

“Just its official name in the Galactic Archives. I know a little about its moon now. It’s hard to believe the Gaeans have been in space for 600 years but only seriously explored it for thirty.”

“We had plenty of distractions until then,” she answered. “What about your people?”

“Oh, I think we came to New London about 200 years ago and built the Marlin Colony. I think there were enough environmentalists with them to keep most people away from the planet. I guess it’s possible we came from Gaea…”

“Let’s leave all that to the scientists,” Riene waved dismissively. She excused herself to use the bathroom, feeling more content and more hopeful than she had felt in a long time. Riene still felt anxious about returning home, of course, but she believed she could face her family now with the strength she had developed through adventuring. As she came out of the ladies’ room, she saw a familiar streak of yellow and blue, and felt her heart leap as she remembered an appointment she made. Of course! She had promised Sati they would meet again on the Moon to discuss a possible future together! With all that had been going on recently, Riene had almost forgotten the arrangement, and now that it came to it, she wished she had more time to prepare. But there was Sati, sniffing her out and wrapping intimate arms around her waist. She kissed Riene on the cheek and told her that her long wait had been worth all this.

“We should find someplace private to talk,” Riene said. Sati offered her hotel room, which made Riene feel a little uneasy (she remembered the last time they shared the same quarters), but it was the best option at the time. If Rebecca should discover them together, all the hard work she put into developing their relationship would be ruined.

And yet Riene had so many things to tell Yeriman! They had not seen each other since that night on the space station, when Riene gave herself away and experienced sex for the first time. Back then, she had been doubtful about herself and her feelings, and Sati’s advances seemed like such a sure thing. She had been infatuated with Rebecca but she feared the other woman would not have anything to do with her, as every time they were together, she felt ignored or invisible. It was like a heavy curtain had fallen between them right from the start. Everything had changed after the incident with her father, though, and now, even if they were not on good terms yet, there was still a strong hope. Riene’s patience was finally being rewarded, and so she had forgotten about her meeting with Sati, until today, when the sweet young woman was staring at her, expecting good news.

Of course she still felt something towards her, as well. Sati was exactly the kind of person Riene had dreamed about being with ever since she made the decision to leave Earth. Not only was she strong of body, spirit, and will, but she was friendly and warm, very pretty, and quite the lover (that had been her first time as well). She could’ve made anybody happy, but she had chosen Riene, because she fit her every wish and desire in a lover. The two of them fit together naturally and might have been an incredible pair but for the deeper, stronger, more stubborn desire that had been rekindled in Riene’s heart. There was a good chance for her to be with Rebecca now and she had to take it— but how could she break Sati’s heart, especially after making love to her? And how long had she been waiting here, anyway? Even if she had just arrived, a rejection would wound her deeply; if she had been waiting for very long, it would be devastating. Riene hated the position she was in but knew there was no other way around it. First she wanted to gauge just how badly she would hurt her dear friend.

“How long have you been here? We only just arrived; we’re on our way to the Earth.”

“Uh, not too long,” she said, squirming a little in her seat. “Long enough to justify reserving a hotel room. I had a few adventures along the way here. You know, I actually didn’t expect to see you for a few more days.”

“Oh? Were you prepared to stay very long?” Sati grinned cutely and stuck her tongue out.

“I have three more days to go on my reservation, but I was prepared to sleep in the Kemosabe if I had to stay longer. It’s not nearly as nice as this place, but it’s free!”

“I’m sorry I made you wait so long,” Riene murmured as she turned pale. Just as she feared…

“Don’t worry about it! It’s my fault for never specifying an exact day. So how have you been?”

“Busy,” she exhaled with a traveler’s weariness, “but also…very happy. And anxious.”

“Anxious?”

“I have family on Earth that I’m planning on seeing. They’re not…bad people, just…well, I don’t think I made them very pleased when I announced I wanted to go into space.”

“Were they against it?” Riene nodded.

“They’re sort of traditional in that regard,” she answered delicately.

“Then why see them at all?” she wondered. Riene had never asked herself that question, but had to face it now, and for a minute, she thought her determination to “go through with it” was fairly silly. But…

“They are my family,” she answered maturely, “and I have to confront them. I have to show them exactly why I chose this path.” She decided to change to a more congenial subject. “Let’s see…what else have we done? We recently visited Pluto and Mars, and before that…well, I didn’t go with them on very many adventures. I was sort of wiped out by a conflict we ran into awhile back.”

“It’s good to take a break now and then,” Sati answered warmly, scooting a little closer. “I’m actually on vacation right now. What about Rebecca? Is she still with you all?”

“Yes, Becky’s here too. She’s been through a lot, but I think she’s stronger now.”

“Oh, really? What happened?” Riene let the question hang in the air as she adjusted her position.

“It’s not…my place to say. But she’ll be glad to see you. She told me her Aunt Shandra’s going to the Marlin Colony to visit her mother.”

“Oh, cool. Have you run into Kaori— I mean, Captain Chuunaru?”

“No, not since we last saw you. Why, how is she?”

“I don’t know; that’s why I’m asking you. I haven’t seen hide nor hair of her since that incident. Oh well, I’m sure she’s doing just fine. Kaori’s a good friend, and she’s very strong.” She beamed wonderfully and nudged so close that the two women were touching. Sati held Riene’s hand and gave her an irresistible stare. Riene faltered for a minute, because she knew what that look was for and what Sati was expecting to hear. It took a lot of willpower to discipline herself away from the doggish girl.

“What’s wrong? Am I coming on too strong?”

“No,” she smiled sadly, “you’re being very considerate. It’s just… Do you remember the promise we made to each other? That I’d tell you if I wanted to be your partner or not when we met here?”

“I sure do,” she grinned. “That’s why I came here. Do you have an answer?” Riene faltered for awhile as she wrestled with her emotions. Sati was so good to her, so wonderful in every way, and she was everything Riene could ever ask for. She was as certain as the sky itself, and no doubt Riene would have a wonderful life with her. Yet the time she spent consoling Rebecca after the death of her father, holding her and healing her wounds, came back to remind Riene why she was hesitating in the first place. She loved Sati dearly, but the love she had for Rebecca…

Yes… I do believe I love her now.

“Yes,” she whispered respectfully. “And I’ve decided to decline your offer. I’m sorry.”

Try as Sati Yeriman might, she could not mask the sorrow she felt.

“Th-that’s okay,” she warbled. “I understand. You must have found something even better…or you just don’t like me… I mean, I don’t mean to sound insecure, but…oh… Well, I’m sure you made the right choice, and…thank you for telling me kindly. It must’ve been hard to…”

“Yes, I didn’t mean to hurt you, and I do like you, Sati, I really do. I was so close to jumping into your arms and holding on tight…it really hurt a lot to let you down. And I know I would have been happy with you, but…I need to be honest with myself. As amazing as you are, there’s someone I love even deeper, someone who…I’m sure needs me more than you do— and I know, as great as you are, that there’s someone even better than me that you deserve.” She winced as she realized how ineffective she sounded. “That…isn’t much help, is it?”

“Not really,” she grinned sheepishly. “But you mean well, and that’s…well, it’s something. And you know, maybe there is still a good chance for me. I know what you mean by being honest, too. Maybe…” She paused and held Riene’s hand shyly. “Maybe this is for the best. I mean, let’s be frank here. You’re gorgeous and intelligent, but…I don’t know if you could keep up with me.”

“How very harsh!” Riene chuckled. “But I deserve it, and it is true. Oh, Sati, thanks for understanding. I love you too much to hurt you, but I had to— ”

“I know, I know,” she smiled. “Uhh, just out of curiosity, who’s the fair damsel that stole my place in your heart? I mean, I won’t be jealous or anything, as long as she’s a good person.”

“She is,” Riene answered— “the very best.” Then, taking a deep breath and steeling herself, the blushing redhead muttered, “It’s Rebecca.” There— she admitted it at last, and it felt so good to have it out in the open. Sati, on the other hand, was nearly bursting with joy: her ears stood up straight and her tail waggled. Her teeth were bared and she bounced off the bed, clapping and squealing with glee.

“Oh my god!! Becky? No WAY!! You mean you’ve been in love with Rebecca Hill all this time?! THAT IS SO AWESOME! Oh man— I don’t know what to say! I’m so happy, I’m speechless!! You and Becky?! Wow! That’s…remarkable! I never would’ve put you two together, but now that I think about it, you’d be like…the perfect couple! Wow, yeah! You two would be perfect for each other!” She laughed for joy and gave Riene a big, loving hug. “I’m sorry I got so upset! I wish I had known that sooner! There’s no way I could be jealous now! Yeah! Go for it, girl!!”

“I’m happy you approve,” Riene chuckled, tears streaming down her face. Sati kissed her cheek, but stood back suspiciously as a thought came to mind.

“Heeeeey, wait a minute! If you’re in love with Becky, why’d you agree to make love with me? Why string me along at all?”

“It’s all very warped and complicated,” she sighed tragically. “I’m sorry to say that I’ve been spineless and doubtful for a long time. Rebecca was so awkward around me that I felt she didn’t even want anything to do with me. I thought I could get through to her, but every time we met, it was like there was a barrier between us. Things got so hopeless that I actually considered that offer you gave me. But…things have a way of changing. There’s hope for us now.”

“Oh.” Sati still sounded a little disappointed in Riene, but at least she wasn’t nearly as angry. “I guess that’s a good reason. Well shoot! Now I’ll have to live with all that! And you only get one first time!”

“At least it was with someone I loved and trusted, even if she wasn’t my first choice,” Riene attempted. “Most people aren’t even that lucky.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” Sati tried to be strong and managed a smile. It wasn’t her fault she got caught up in this maelstrom. Artists wrote tragic operas based on these very themes; it would be better for her to just move on, hoping for an even greater outcome in the wake of this loss. She took Riene’s hands and stared into her eyes with a fierce, protective love. “Anyway, please take good care of Becky. I know you’ll both manage somehow; just don’t give up. But if I hear you’ve hurt her in any way…then you’ll have to answer to me.” Riene smiled warmly at Yeriman’s devotion.

“You really love her, don’t you?”

“Of course! She’s a good friend. I mean it, now! I want you to be good to her.”

“I will,” she swore, giving Sati another hug. “Why don’t you say hello to her? I’m sure she’ll be happy to see you.”

“Yeah, that would be great. Lead the way.” Sati’s tail wagged for joy as she followed the redhead out of her hotel and back into the commons lounge where Marsa was still going over the details of her mission, and where a certain white-haired maiden was still waiting. She gawked as Riene awkwardly rejoined her.

“What happened, did you fall in?”

“Um, no,” she blushed. “I ran into a mutual friend of ours. I believe you two already know each other.”

 

……

 

Thanks to the recent “distraction” caused by the Jackal and Changera, the UCM had been forced to split its attention and ask for the independently-owned Dauntless to intervene. Further details were still pending, but those who worked for Origin had reason to believe the Jackal had perished, good riddance, and that the information at Ares and Phobos would not be theirs. They were forced to bear this defeat as they sent the Dutchman out to capture Ferocious— he was the only person that could— and return him to face judgment. But it had taken somewhat longer than anticipated to retrieve him. The demented cross-dresser had been wandering around Silvanus stirring up trouble, killing indiscriminately and leaving destruction in his wake, but rampaged in failure. Ferocious was regarded as the galaxy’s second-best assassin, but since he seemed incapable of snuffing two-dozen ladies of mediocre skill, his reputation was put into question.

“You can’t pin anything on me, copper!” he cried as he glared at a monitor. A pale, bluish-green holographic image gazed back, its eyes drooping with solemnity and its mouth cold. This was Boole, or the image he chose to reveal, anyway. “I was just picking up some groceries! That tank just fell outta the sky! All I wanted was some frickin’ noodles, man! You can’t expect me to ignore big guns like that! Hahahaha…what the hell do you want, man? Police brutality at its worst! JUST SOME FREAKIN’ NOODLES!!! AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!”

“Be silent,” the image commanded him sharply. Long-dead emotions were stirring in Boole’s words and he took a moment to compose himself. “You were absconded not for failure, but because you acted rashly without instruction. Origin’s will goes so far beyond the petty destruction of property and lives that I will no longer dignify the matter with time and energy. Since you have proven yourself incapable of executing the simplest tasks, whether by mental deficiency or some unforeseen limitation, you must face a decision regarding your position here.”

“Screw that!!” he roared in a fleeting moment of sanity. “My teddy bears won’t play ball with your stuffed goose! Papa goes where he wants and slices whatever doesn’t slice him first! H-hey, doc, just gimme another chance, all right? NOODLES, MAN— NOODLES!! COOK THEM AT 420 DEGREES AND MAKE SOME NICE SPAGHETTI SOUP!! MARINATE IT ALL IN BLOOD!! AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!”

“Be silent,” Boole snapped, the image glaring a hot red. “It is not my will but Origin’s you should fear. If Origin believes you are still useful, you will be used. If not, you will be cast out. Let him be brought before Origin.”

“W-wait! You mean the…b-big boss?!” Ferocious squeaked in terror, and dug his heels into the ground. He didn’t fear the Dutchman, Boole, the Fog Ninjas, or the multitude of underlings that paid homage to their mysterious Head— nay, in fact, a man with no sound mind cannot really fear anything of this world— but Ferocious, insane as he was, feared Origin. This was an entity no amount of madness could surpass. In fact, some said he became mad by gazing at Origin only once. In spite of his screams and his protests, Ferocious was dragged to the Throne, and though he could not see what was perched there, he definitely felt the Presence, and cowered.

“Mercy!!!” he wailed, prostrating himself on the ground. The room rumbled, and Ferocious squalled as an immense weight pressed down upon him. Sensations too radical to put into words were slipped into his mind, winding down to his miserable soul where they racked and tortured him to oblivion and beyond. Inhuman howls came out of his mouth, and he feared his body would be laid bare and ripped apart. But he could tell from the relief he felt later that Origin had spared him in the end and still believed him an asset.

“You have asked for mercy and have been granted it,” Boole said flatly. “Be gracious and go away. You will be summoned for a task soon enough. Hendrick, Captain Barbarossa, step forward.” The immortal Flying Dutchman did as he was bidden, though he did not fear the entity on the throne, and certainly felt no terror towards the Face or the Madman. “You know of the Dauntless. Their passage will take them to the world that birthed you, Hendrick. I know you are far more suited to succeed than anyone else we could ever persuade. Do not allow a single one of them to leave that world.”

“And why should I return to familiar seas to spend energy hunting women? Tis’ poor sport and poor use of my skills. I seek dangerous prey.”

“They are Origin’s enemies. That should be sufficient.”

“Origin’s enemies are not my enemies. Give me a better reason for my actions.”

“There are those among them who have performed dangers enough to stoke your ire, Hendrick. There is Yenae Marliir, whom you know of, and several criminals of various degrees with her: killers mostly, some with prices, others with knowledge too great to keep. Professor Brignor must be spared only to be brought before Origin for questioning in regards to Professor Hill’s work, and you must also capture his daughter, who we believes holds a danger. Of the others, you may do as you wish.”

“This woman you speak of, Captain Marliir— I have heard of her deeds, as you say, and know her crimes. I shall see to it that she has died, and if any of the others hold dangers I deem worthy of my efforts, they too shall fall. But I am no dog for you to control, vile engine, nor for Origin to judge. If your master has the power to kill me, let them use it! Taunt me no further with your promises. I have one last warning for you, villain, before I depart for home. Let not that possessed wretch come within my sight. His wickedness exceeds a century’s worth of evil, and but for his madness, I would have taken his head. The next time I am called to retrieve him, he shall arrive in pieces.”

Barbarossa stalked away with a majestic flair, the floor trembling with every step. Boole had forsaken almost every tie to his humanity ages ago, yet there was still anger, frustration, and now concern— in small doses. He knew the Dutchman was stronger than him, and if he so desired, could probably destroy him and maybe even Origin. But for the promise of a release, a real chance at freedom from his immortal curse, Hendrick van der Decken might have killed them all. Yet Origin’s grand scheme depended on that very same invulnerability— the ability to go anywhere, do anything, and kill anybody, without tiring or stopping until the job was finished. So long as he was inveigled properly, Barbarossa was a dangerous but necessary tool.

As he parted, a stream of Fog Ninjas came to Boole and offered him new information. No smile came to his face, but he certainly felt an old stirring of pleasure. “The shape-shifter lives. Remind her why she is working for us, and put her to use. She is wearing out her welcome, but even a worn vehicle may still run. As for that pirate, leave her alone for now. We owe her some peace for slaying that traitorous jackal.”

Origin boomed.

“I understand, O my Fullness. Send word to Lord Demise that the time is fast approaching. I will attempt another transaction with the Ozmund siblings. You— continue monitoring the Dauntless. If even one of them escapes Hendrick’s pursuit, use your full power to overwhelm them. They are not to leave that world.”

The mist-creature bowed and drifted away to share the orders to its loyal brethren.

 

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

 

Preview of next chapter

Teleah: And so the twenty-four daring maidens ventured to the world where it all began, the blue planet Earth, humanity’s cradle in the heavens!

Kayleigh: Wondering what adventures this diverse planet has in store for them, the maidens join forces with the priestess Marsa Rosemont in search of fame and fortune.

Lyara: Uh…right. I’m just here for Sharyn’s thing.

Sharyn: Yee! Is she not the acme of virtue? Plus, she’s sexy as ?#$*&, man!! I mean, DYAMN, GIRL!!

Lyara: Sweat drop.

Allegra: I wonder if I’ll run into my young’uns while I’m here…

Kate: Or if we finally go all the way!

Alala: Don’t forget about Marsa’s journey!

Yenae: Or MY chances at HLS! Wheeee!!

Riene: You all seem to be forgetting something! I’ve got a major crisis on my hands!

Rebecca: That’s right! Riene has to visit…HER FAMILY! Dun-dun-dunn!!

Everyone: Le gasp and oh noes!

Teleah: Will our maidens prevail over this latest calamity?

Kayleigh: Find out in, “Beautiful Place in My Heart: crown jewel Earth”!

Eve: Hey, what about my crisis, you guys? You know, my asshole xenophobic father who is a Senator?!

Chandra: Don’t worry, I know just the thing! Lesbian threesomes can solve any problem!

Eve: That’s your answer to everything!

Amy: At least she’s back to normal.

Onwards to Part 57


Back to Voyage of the Dauntless Index - Back to Original Fiction Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction