Voyage of the Dauntless (part 4 of 69)

a Original Fiction fanfiction by Al Kristopher

Back to Part 3 Untitled Document

“The Miraculous Meetings: will we all make the grade?”

Shana, Valti, Kate, Kyrie, and Yenae were all next in line, and they all introduced themselves accordingly. The receptionist was overjoyed to have an artist onboard, but stated that Dr. Miracle would prefer to have Shana’s excellent memory and puzzle-solving abilities. Valti and Kyrie’s knowledge of the sciences got them through the sieve, and the receptionist didn’t even seem to flinch when they identified themselves as infamous troublemakers.

“Fire was one of the earliest tools my ancestors possessed,” she said to Kyrie. “Anyone who can master it is more than welcome. As for you, Professor Brignor, the doctor was hoping to recruit a geneticist and an anthropologist. You are both honored guests aboard the Dauntless.”

“Sweet!” Kyrie growled, slapping all of Valti’s hands. Yenae was a little more cautious, since she knew most humans were frightened by her appearance, but she got the same cheerful, sincere smile as everyone else.

“I’m not entirely sure I would like an assassin onboard,” murmured the brunette, “but Dr. Miracle won’t mind a bit. The master would really be more interested in your duel career with space pirates and UCM officials. It says here you won a dogfight with them, but the reports never mentioned that. Well, I am sure you will be an important asset, regardless.”

“That was you?” Eve balked. Yenae looked over her shoulder and grinned.

“Yes, I suppose so. Don’t tell me you’re a former military dog looking for revenge.”

“Not really,” she snorted. “I might just shake your hand for pulling that stunt. Sorry, I cut in line.”

“It’s okay,” Kate mumbled, “you can go ahead. I’m in no hurry.” The receptionist told them that she could screen them both at the same time, and after skimming over their applications, she eagerly appointed them positions on the ship.

“Miss Shepherd, I have no doubt that Dr. Miracle will need a fighter of your skills. Heavyworld people are very difficult to persuade.”

“Yeah, I know!” she chortled. “But you won’t have any difficulty swaying me. I’m just glad I made the cut.”

“Don’t be so modest. And you, Miss Kasberry—“

“Just Eve.”

“Oh, of course. I’m sure everyone here has heard of you. You’re a natural choice for the voyage, of course, but why choose to work for my master? Why not side with the Ozmund Company, or the military?” Eve shook her head darkly; she obviously didn’t want to talk about it.

“I prefer my freedom,” she answered. The secretary grinned and welcomed them both aboard. She also brought Allegra into the fold, citing the importance of her gunmanship, and surprised the Acheron twins when she looked at them, undisturbed, and announced they were the perfect candidates for pilot. Even though Rebecca was wary about living and working alongside so many infamous people, she was overjoyed to be counted as a member of the group, but blushed as she gazed at the secretary’s shining face.

“May I ask your name?” she said. The brunette smiled and turned fairly pink.

“Oh yes, of course, how rude of me. After interviewing so many people, I never identified myself, have I? I should have done that from the beginning. Tell you what: could you please join the others and wait a little while? I want everyone to hear it at once. That way, I won’t have to announce it again.” Rebecca accepted this response and smiled impatiently: there was a certain thrill about waiting for something that even the most impatient cannot deny. It made the end result nicer in the long run.

“So where’s this Dr. Miracle person?” Lil said as she towered over the assistant. She gazed down and leered. “He probably didn’t have to try very hard in order to con you.”

“Lil, please behave yourself! Excuse her,” Aseria said to the woman, “she’s not very friendly towards strangers. I’m afraid you’ll have to let her warm up to you. My name is Aseria; I’m Aria’s half-sister.”

“Oh yes!” exclaimed the secretary. “Dr. Miracle mentioned her to me before. Please go on in, Miss Tolan, Miss Markus! Make yourselves at home! …Are you ready now?” Chandra was finally finished with her application, and made sure she brushed against the brunette’s fingers as she handed it over. She knew precisely where to touch a woman in order to drive her crazy, but if this mousy lady was aroused, she did a fine job at hiding it. After reading it over, she sighed and put the application to the side.

“I’m sorry, Miss Chandra, but Dr. Miracle does not have any need for a pleasure unit. I have no doubt you are very skilled at what you do, but that alone will not be of any use for this mission. Please excuse me.”

“Wait!” she exclaimed, suddenly quite surprised. Miracle didn’t need her? Ridiculous! Chandra desperately searched her memory for any beneficial skill, and finally blurted one out before she could be tossed aside. “I-I forgot to mention that I’m also an excellent chef. It’s one of the talents I was programmed with. Even if my…seductive charms don’t have any use here, I know you need someone who can cook!”

“Yes,” she murmured cautiously. “But why did you neglect this from your résumé?”

“Well, I…I just forgot, that’s all.” All the while this was going on, Herut stood a few steps away, praying frantically that Chandra would be rejected. It was true she was a good chef, but as far as Herut was concerned, her “partner” had no other virtues. The receptionist saw things different, regretfully, and even said out loud that a chef would be a good addition.

“You shouldn’t have done that,” Herut stated when she revealed her application. “Chandra will only try to seduce everyone onboard.”

“That’s her decision to make,” replied the brunette.

“But you don’t understand! She can’t even keep her clothes on for five minutes! She’s a slut!”

“I heard that,” Chandra growled before stepping aboard the conveyor. The secretary just shook her head.

“Dr. Miracle is a very indiscriminate employer. If your companion chooses to explore the ship in the nude, she is free to do so. I have no doubt there are other species with similar views. Would you misjudge them simply because of a harmless belief?”

“But it’s so shameful,” she muttered. Herut was recruited without trouble, and she hurried onboard so that she could find a room as far away from Chandra as possible. Riene was the next in line; she had missed climbing aboard with her traveling companions since Chandra had cut in front of her.

“If you need an interpreter, I’m your woman. I’ve been told I’m as good as a Merovian once I get going.”

“Really? That’s no idle boast. Well, you have an excellent degree in languages and philology. That’s good enough for my master! Make yourself at home, Miss Latoli!”

“I will, thank you.” Riene smiled beautifully as she passed the secretary and followed her coworkers. Whoever this woman was, she was smart enough to not be taken in by those seductive wiles, and from the way Chandra had been looking at Riene while they waited in line, that really took fortitude. Riene herself was attracted to women, though far too shy to admit it, and while Chandra had nearly succeeded in yanking out her inhibitions, this soft-spoken and cheerful lady made Riene feel like she could be completely at ease. Dr. Miracle had chosen this assistant well.

……

Since both Sharyn and Athena were applying for the position of swordfighter, a small rivalry sparked between them as they tried to decide who would go first. No doubt Dr. Miracle and his secretary would judge the second candidate more harshly than the first, so it was a matter of pride and honor to see who would reach the front before the other. Vimmy understood Sharyn’s desire perfectly and even tried to make a deal with Athena, but she was impervious to bribes, and Fuuka wouldn’t even take a single coin. Mink came to the rescue and suggested they both hand their applications in at the same time.

“Two swordswomen,” mused the assistant, adjusting her glasses. Her face contorted in agony for a moment; Fuuka was immediately at her side and rested a gentle hand against her arm.

“Are you in pain? Please tell me where it hurts. I am a licensed doctor.”

“Oh, that’s wonderful,” she whispered, smiling thinly. “I…can’t believe…we only have one so far. Excuse me—it’s better now.”

“May I see it?” The secretary quickly decided that both swordswomen were welcome, and ushered them in. Sharyn looked ashamed that she had gotten so worked up over such a trite matter, especially since this woman had come all the way out here to meet them with an injury. As she and Athena ascended, Fuuka knelt down and unwrapped the older woman’s bandages. There was a distinct wound on her heel that looked like it was still very fresh; there was even blood seeping out, though the flow was very thin and weak. Fuuka studied it for a minute, but couldn’t come up with any diagnostic.

“I’ve never seen anything like this before. How long have you had this injury?”

“I’ve been bearing it for two years, one month, and six days.”

“That’s impossible!” she cried, her becalmed face shattering. “It should’ve healed by now! Are you certain you have had this injury for very long?”

“Yes, almost three years. I’m not surprised at your reaction: none of the doctors in the Helios system were able to cure it. Don’t worry…it’s usually bearable. The pain comes and goes. Today’s been one of my better days.” She gave Fuuka an assuring smile, but the doctor wasn’t quite convinced, and made sure to cure and dress the wound to the best of her abilities. Fuuka had once been able to save people from the brink of death, and now here she was, baffled by a mere foot injury!

“How did you get it?”

“In a fight,” she answered breezily. Fuuka jerked back.

“A fight?”

“Yes. …It was not a pleasant fight.”

“They never are,” she replied mechanically. There had been no poison and no infection around the wound, and except for the bleeding, there was no cause for alarm. It appeared as if a serpent had bitten down on her heel—not a snake, but a “serpent”, any number of reptilian beasts that crawled along their bellies. The culprit could have been alligator, lizard, or even turtle—or maybe even an animal Fuuka had never heard of. In any case, the wound was shallow and small, just enough to cause bleeding and pain, but not enough to be serious. Fuuka soon joined Athena and the others, not without a few mind-bending questions.

“Is something the matter?” Mink asked. Only Vimmy could tell that she was concerned; everyone else just thought she was asking to be polite. The woman flashed a grin and waved dismissively.

“No, it was just a matter of my physical health. I’ll be all right, but thank you for asking! Now, what can you contribute to Dr. Miracle’s search?”

Vimmy’s mouth broadened into a crescent grin. Her patience had finally paid off.

……

The pigtailed secretary accepted many more applicants that day, and rejected even more. Over a hundred women (and at least fifteen men) had made it to Strategos before the deadline ended, but because Dr. Miracle could only take the most qualified, more than half of the total number was cut before the day was finished. Even as the crewmembers mingled with each other and got acquainted with the ship, Dr. Miracle did not make the grand entrance they were hoping for—and his assistant remained outside, waiting patiently for any latecomers. The deadline officially ended at midnight, and even though the line was gone and the crowd had been sifted, this meek woman kept her post, first busying herself with organizing the papers, then eating a light dinner, then reading until it became dark.

She waited well into the evening, alone with her injured foot and the stack of applications. So far, fifty-six women had successfully been accepted as a crewmember, and if nothing else changed for the next few hours, they would be briefed about their role in the mission the following morning. Streetlights and lampposts flickered on as the last glow of the sun faded, and Dr. Miracle’s assistant brought out a small lamp so she could study her future coworkers. The deadline for application ended at midnight on that day—a scant two hours away—and she wanted to make use of her time. She was perfectly happy being alone for a time—in fact, she would soon have all the company she could handle. It was not a particularly chilly or windy, so the mousy woman was content to be there by herself. No doubt everyone else was too busy getting settled in to pay much attention to her.

When she finally finished skimming through the applications, the secretary glanced at her watch and noticed it was 2357 hours, or 11:57 at night: only two minutes to go. That gave her three minutes to put all the files in a folder, clean up the desk, stretch her muscles, and call it a day. As she was organizing the roster, she noticed an elvish woman approaching the desk, running at full speed. She came to rest, breathing raggedly, and handed an application over.

“Please tell me I’m not too late,” she wheezed. She was an attractive creature who obviously came from the same star system as Aseria; they both had that exotic hair and those colorful, piercing eyes, and of course the pointed ears were a dead giveaway (although hers were triangular while Aseria’s were conical). She had very fair skin, which indicated she was a different sub-species, and looked like she had led a rough life. Amy smiled at her and checked her watch: it was 2359 and forty seconds.

“No, you have plenty of time, but I’m afraid you’ll be the last one. What is your name?”

Name: Lyara Alyera Tanith

Species: Valari (Valarus valarii)

Origin: Valaris (Valar 1)

Former occupation: Leader of the Night Hammer gang

“Oh yes, I’ve heard a little bit about you. You turned the Night Hammer gang around and made them a respectable force on Myern. May I ask what you’re doing here?”

“Exile,” Lyara answered bluntly. “So am I in or out?” The brunette scanned over the résumé, her eyes straining in the darkness even with the lanterns glowing all around. Lyara, a distant relative of Aseria, had journeyed from her homeworld into the unknown, but ran into a streak of bad fortune and ended up in a gang. However, she had a remarkable ability to read emotions—and more amazing was her telepathic ability that would surely come in handy on the trip. Lyara did not list why she left the Night Hammers, but her eyes and her grip indicated it was a sensitive topic, and Miracle’s assistant respected her privacy. When she finished reading, it was 0002 hours, or 12:02 at night: the deadline was over and the final candidate had been screened.

“Did I make it or not?!” Lyara demanded. The bespectacled woman smiled in spite of the throbbing in her leg.

“You’re in! Welcome aboard! If you could, would you please carry this briefcase and these folders for me? It’s a little difficult when you have crutches.” Lyara could sense the humble strength and love radiating from the woman, and she could see how genuinely burdened she was. She first helped the woman to her feet and handed the crutches over, then carried the papers and followed her up the ramp into the ship. It closed on them, and Lyara was instructed to “just put those anywhere”: the young woman was turning in for the night, and since it had been such a long day, Lyara took the first available room and slipped into the bed, alone with her thoughts.

……

The next day, once everyone got settled in, the ship’s public announcement system came on, requesting that everyone meet in what was known as the general assembly room. It was a space large enough to hold seventy people comfortably, so this crowd had plenty of room. Before the chattering buzz could erupt into a deafening roar, the pigtailed secretary hobbled in, leaning heavily on her cane, putting as little weight on her right foot as possible. She was not a very spectacular person and did not command the attention of more than a few polite onlookers. Instead, she used a quieter charisma to settle the crowd, patiently waiting until everyone was silenced, and all eyes were on her. She could not withstand the pressure of such a skeptical audience for long, and bowed her head to begin introductions.

“Thank you all for applying to the position of crewmember of the Dauntless. First, as per overwhelming request, I will introduce myself—then I will try to answer as many of your questions as possible.”

Name: Amy Blithe

Species: Human (Homo sapien)

Origin: Pluto (Helios 9)

Religion: Christianity

“As you know, I am Dr. Miracle’s assistant, and I’ve been trusted to assemble a team of adventurers in order to claim a great treasure. My master was unable to attend the application ceremony yesterday, but I have assurances that you will all see your employer in person shortly. We are almost ready to lift off, but before we do, I will answer your questions. I have no doubt that you have several. Yes, Miss Fonester?”

“You can call me Vimmy, my dear, and my question is very simple and direct, so please forgive me if I ramble, but I wonder if I could ask you what this grand treasure is, if you know, and where it might be located?”

“That is something only Dr. Miracle knows. I have sworn to secrecy not to reveal it until we arrive. In the meantime, I’ve been promised that we can search for artifacts on any other world we may encounter before we reach our ultimate destination.”

“Oh, I see,” she stammered, “well, I suppose I understand, and no doubt both you and your master have secrets—“

“Shut up,” Eve barked. She turned to Amy and held up her finger. “I only wanna know one thing, four-eyes: what kinda rules do we have to follow on this ship? If Miracle’s as stiff-assed as the military, I’ll bail out faster than you can blink!” Amy smiled with understanding.

“There are only two rules aboard this ship that my master insists you follow: one, please do not kill or fight one another. Settle all your conflicts peacefully—or, if you can’t, wait until we land and take your fight outside. Two, do not take another crewmember’s possessions without their permission. This includes any treasure they may have acquired. That is all we ask of you.” These very simple and very free guidelines surprised most of the crew, who stood there with their mouths wipe open, puzzled.

“So,” Herut shrieked, “if Chandra really wants to walk around in the nude, she CAN?”

“Correct.”

“And can we come and go whenever we please?” Naja said.

“That’s right. Dr. Miracle only requires you to obey your contract. Once we reach our destination, you must follow orders precisely, or you will not receive your payment. At any other time before that, you may do as you please, come and go as you like, or act however you will, just so long as your actions are not destructive.”

“So does this mean we can smuggle drugs or weapons?” Lil grinned.

“Not on my watch!” Rebecca shouted. Amy calmed them down before a fight could break out.

“You are responsible for your own actions while you’re aboard this ship. What you do is your affair alone. If you choose to use or sell those substances, that is your decision—but nobody must have their individual will violated.”

“So can we have sex?” Valti snickered. A few of the other woman laughed, blushed, and cheered, but Amy looked perfectly at ease.

“If you choose to do so. However, remember that you must not attack each other. Both parties must be in accord. Are there any other questions? Yes, Miss Suing?”

“Um, it’s pronounced sing. Do you know what sorts of worlds we’ll be seeing?”

“I’m sorry, my mistake. Well, we can go wherever you wish. Dr. Miracle has a general idea of where we’re going, but if any of you want to make a pit stop, don’t be afraid to speak up. Yes, Miss Shepherd?”

“So how much can we expect to get at the end of this?”

“As the advertisement said, you will all receive 300G from Dr. Miracle later today. If we do not stop for any treasures, the least you all can expect is a hundred times that amount.” A hush blanketed the crowd before the buzz of excitement intoxicated them. Thirty-thousand Gold, at least! Obviously this number meant more to some than others: Vimmy shrugged carelessly and rubbed her nose, while Rebecca stood agape, her pulse racing at the thought of being so wealthy.

“Is Dr. Miracle that rich?” she wondered aloud. Amy laughed quietly.

“Yes, I suppose so. It’s really more like a gift than a payment, though—but you can only receive it at the end of our mission, and only if you stay on the entire time. You’re free to leave whenever you choose, but you will surrender your payment.”

“So why fork over three-hundred smackers?” Alala wondered.

“An act of faith,” Amy said serenely. “And besides,” she added with a crafty smile, “Dr. Miracle figured we’d get more applicants if we offered some money up front.”

“It worked,” Riene admitted. “I actually have a question: why did you only ask for women to come aboard?”

“For obvious reasons,” Chandra cackled. Amy shook her head.

“It concerns our destination. Apparently, only females can reach the treasure we’re after. That’s really all there is to it.”

“Oh. I guess that makes sense. So when can we see Dr. Miracle?”

“Right now, if you want.” Several people thought she was kidding or teasing them, but then a very perceptible change came over the room. It arrived as a definite stillness at first, one of those phenomenon that can silence a room instantly, no matter how many people are there or how loud it is. Even the most willful woman there could not be convinced to speak: they were all arrested as they felt the approaching presence of their employer. Their imaginations flared as they wondered what sort of person this Dr. Miracle was—whether man or woman, a being of flesh or spirit, or perhaps something even fantasy had never imagined before.

Something new happened once the silence was complete, but at first, not everybody felt it. The air seemed to be getting heavier and heavier, like a great invisible force was pressing down upon the crew. Some of the more frail women felt it first, then those more accustomed to labor, and then those more powerful than others started to buckle. Kate Shepherd was the last one standing; the gravity in her homeworld was very powerful, and it attested to her strength. But soon, even she was brought to her knees as an overwhelming force squeezed and crushed them all. Even Amy seemed affected, although she could’ve been suffering from her injury: she grimaced, but didn’t bend over. A light suddenly entered the room as the crew felt they could take no more, and at long last, Dr. Miracle began to take shape.

It was clear that their employer had been causing this strain—whether unintentionally or just to show off—but the intensity wasn’t over yet. The light became brighter until it was almost unbearable, and with the weight still crushing everybody—not fatally, just uncomfortably—it felt as if Dr. Miracle was assaulting all of their senses at once. On the other hand, an intoxicating smell sweeter than love itself drifted into the room, filling their noses with an odor like the freshest fruits and gardens after the gentlest rains of summer—or maybe it was the rustic scent of cedar, cypress, nard, vanilla, oak, frankincense, and any number of plants and perfumes seemingly designed solely for enjoyment—or perhaps it was like a devoted and caring lover, radiating with warmth and beauty, smiling timidly, yearning for the softest caress. There was no music to accompany any of these treats, but the crew could imagine what harmonies might spring forth.

The pressure lessened a little and the crew began to understand why there were so many mysteries surrounding Dr. Miracle. Their employer was not man or woman so much as they were Male or Female, or perhaps another gender unrecorded by galactic scribes. There were no discerning traits on the body to give anything away—and indeed, there was very little “body” to speak of at all. The very closest one could express it was to say that Miracle was composed of a solid fire that gave off sensations beyond heat or cold, or rather a beam of light that thought and moved and acted (and later, spoke) of its own volition, or perhaps a sliver of starlight that had fallen in through the windows of the Dauntless.

But the figure did not keep its shape for long. At times it resembled a majestic face, and at other times it looked more like a whirlwind, or a titanic entity with long, ghastly arms, or a burning wheel laden with eyes, or a viscous blob dripping with flowers. Dr. Miracle exceeded all the rumors, instead appearing as a beautiful, monstrous apparition, or an angel, or an elemental force of the cosmos—mainly, a Thing that refused to be caged or classified. But words are slow; all this barely happened in the span of two minutes.

“Well, at least it’s not a tentacle beast!” Shana joked. The entity spoke in a voice “like sunlight”, as some of the crew later described—and when one realizes how powerful, intense, and merciless sunlight really is, all preconceived notions of tenderness or whimsy go away. It was not quite godlike, but definitely beyond mortal understanding.

“What have you summoned me for?”

“If it pleases your grace,” Amy answered immediately, “the crew you have ordered me to hire has been assembled. There are fifty-seven souls in total, and they are all women, as you requested.”

“So I see. You have performed competently, Amy.”

“Thank you, doctor. Shall I introduce them?”

“There is no need: I have looked into their minds and have seen what kind of people they are. I see some of them have taken advantage of our open-minded policy! Make sure they do not cause any trouble on my ship.”

“Certainly, doctor. I have already told them your rules. Would you like to add anything else?”

“I’ve got something to add!” Naja roared. She had been attempting to resist the barrage of mysterious spectacles and assaults that had befallen the crew ever since Miracle first arrived, and even now, she struggled against the sheer weight of this supernatural being. The serpentine woman glared straight up with all the fury and pride of the Elshyrin race and spat rather messily on the floor. “Listen here, whatever the hell you are, and get one thing straight! I only call one person ‘master’, and that’s me! Don’t think for a moment that I’m impressed by these lame special effects! I could kick your sorry ass any day of the week—“

Then come at me if you dare!” boomed the creature, flinging a hundred arms out to envelop the brazen woman. There was no mistaking the blizzard that shot out of the entity’s chest; Naja felt the chill and the snow strike her, and shivered uncontrollably as she backed down. The Elshyrin could face anything except the cold, and apparently, Dr. Miracle knew this. A haughty glare seemed to shine on the entity’s face as the snow abated and things returned to a relative calm.

“Mind yourself in my presence, Naja Elapidae! Next time, I will not allow you to get away with such insubordination! Now, for the rest of you, let this be a warning. I am not your master and you are not my servants. Amy is quite sufficient on her own. You are my employees, rather, and as such, you only work for wages until the job is finished. This is not difficult to understand. Here, you have ultimate freedom, to do as you choose and go where you will. I only ask that you help retrieve this treasure.”

“Uhh, pardon me, doctor, but may I ask you a question?” Allegra bravely stood up, her knees shaking, her hands grasping nervously. She was genuinely frightened and so was a majority of the crew. Fortunately, Miracle permitted her to ask without taking offense, and she removed her cap out of respect. “Well, scuse’ me for bein’ nosy, doc, but you seem mighty powerful—so why d’ya need us to get this treasure?”

“You will know when the time comes, Allegra van Landingham.”

“I figured it would say that,” Valti sighed.

“So just what treasure are we after?” Kay Acheron wondered.

“And where is it?” Tee said.

“How long will it take us to get there?”

“What is the ship’s top speed?”

“Why not sample for yourself?” Miracle boomed. One could almost make out a smile on that blurry image; the entity clearly gestured towards the cockpit, and the Acheron sisters made themselves scarce. “Kay and Tee Acheron have the correct idea,” Miracle said to the crew. “We have spent enough time on Strategos. We must lift off at once. There will be plenty of time for questions and answers later. Amy, I will be returning to my space. I will leave the affairs of the Dauntless to you.”

“Yes, doctor, thank you. Rest well.”

Miracle disappeared like a strong wind disappears after a storm. The room returned to normal—even the smell faded—and soon everyone was relieved of the weight and the light and everything that came with it. But now the real journey was about to begin—and they didn’t even know where they were going!

“Damn that thing,” Naja winced as she climbed to her feet (she wouldn’t let anyone help her up). “Who does that freak think he is?”

“You got what was coming to you,” Allegra answered. “If ya don’t learn your limits, you end up burnt—or frozen, in your case.”

“Ha, ha,” she sneered. “Don’t make an enemy out of me, redneck. You all can kiss up to that phony for all I care. I don’t even want to be here.”

“Then leave,” Lil said coldly as she escorted Aseria to the room they were sharing. “That woman said you could go anytime you wanted. What’s stopping you?”

“None of your business, asshole.” The truth was that the alternative was far worse; this was the lesser of two evils for Naja. Everyone eventually made their way back to their rooms, or wherever else they chose to go, and in a few moments, the Acheron twins had the Dauntless in the air—and then, the heavens themselves, and all the possibilities they offered.

Preview of next chapter

Mink: Master Vimmy has asked for me to give a brief report on the next chapter. The mismatched crew of the Dauntless settles into their new roles, but conflict stirs across the ship as egos collide and personalities clash. In the meantime, Dr. Miracle requests that we investigate a passing comet, presumably for studies and materials. I have also been asked to say that it will be a rip-roaring time—yee-haw.

Allegra: You’re ruining the ambiance! You gotta say it like this: it’ll be a comet-wrangling, rip-roaring, action-packed time! Yee-haw!

Mink: Oh, pardon me. This will all happen in the next chapter, “Let’s Wrangle That Comet: our journey has finally begun.”

Allegra: (sigh) It’ll be hard gettin’ through to her…

Onwards to Part 5


Back to Voyage of the Dauntless Index - Back to Original Fiction Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction