Voyage of the Dauntless (part 25 of 69)

a Original Fiction fanfiction by Al Kristopher

Back to Part 24 Untitled Document

“The Space Race: a glorious gathering of dreamers!”

Keiko Ozmund may have been socially awkward, but she wasn’t the type to give up or back down easily. Since speaking with Lord Demise got her nowhere, she was determined to see the Director herself, no matter how much red tape she had to go through or how long she had to wait. She was told the other woman was still on vacation, but would be back on duty “soon”—just how soon was the question, and one that probably wouldn’t be answered. She checked every day and made sure everyone knew that this conference was a matter of urgency, even though in the grand scheme of things, the Director might be too busy even to spare one minute. Two long weeks passed since she arrived at the headquarters before her patience finally paid off: one morning she was told that the Director was coming in “sometime tomorrow”, and would do her best to squeeze another appointment in. Keiko contained her relief and thanked the informant, but this still gave her several hours to endure.

A minimum of pomp was observed when the Director’s flagship entered military space. She didn’t like people making a big hurrah of her comings and goings, and besides, too much attention tended to draw the wrong people. Keiko woke up very early and was able to watch the Circle docking. An honor guard lined up to welcome the Director from her vacation, with executives and war veterans alike saluting; Keiko was forced to wait in her room. The Director breezily thanked them for their devotion, said a quick hello, and integrated herself into her job as if she had never left.

“By the way, ma’am,” the register office manager reported, “Miss Ozmund is waiting for you in Room 236-F. Mr. Schertzweimer put her as your 0900. I can send a breakfast if you’d like.”

“Keiko? Did she really come to see me in person? Is her situation really that serious? Yes, I’ll have the breakfast, please. Send a cart, and be sure to deliver a hard copy of the report Schertzweimer made for my absence.”

“Yes ma’am. And if I may say so, welcome back, Director Astor! Did you have a good vacation?” She smiled thinly and nodded.

“Thank you, Mueller. I did enjoy myself. Now let’s get back to work and make up for lost time.”

The Director smiled humbly as she walked into Room 236-F, locking eyes with her guest momentarily as she sat down. Keiko let out a heave of relief and finally felt like she was going somewhere. A cart filled with a variety of breakfast food and drinks wheeled in after her, and the two women picked what they liked and started nibbling. The Director also grabbed a folder from the cart and looked over it for a minute or two.

“Just let me catch up first,” she murmured. “I took an extra-long vacation and now I have to pay for it. I must say that it was worth it, though. I’ve been working hard ever since my inauguration, and I needed a chance to sit still and enjoy myself. Do you ever visit your family, Keiko? I’m not talking about your brother—I mean your parents, cousins, close friends, things like that.”

“Not as much these days. Kyle and I are busy. Can you really talk to me and read at the same time?”

“Just polite chatter. I don’t have any biological family left, so I had to visit the people I considered my…extended family. Old friends from long ago…and it seems more and more of them are leaving me. Well, that’s the way things go. How is Kyle doing, by the way?”

“Well, on the surface, he’s trying not to let this new issue bother him. You know, we’ve already registered for the upcoming race.”

“Ah yes, and we’ve got somebody from headquarters taking part as well. My team won’t give any quarter this year.” Keiko grinned and brightened up.

“Why Director, are you challenging me?”

“We are up against a worthy opponent,” she answered calmly. She took a deep breath and finished skimming over her report. “It says here that Captains Chuunaru and Rover ran into a considerable deal of trouble recently. We had to sacrifice one of our ships to lure the Dead Rose pirates into a trap, but that ultimately failed. Apparently, an old friend of your brother’s was also involved.”

“I can’t imagine who that might be,” Keiko replied honestly.

“It doesn’t really matter. The point is that for awhile, your pirate problem wasn’t as great as you feared. I’m not calling you a liar, Keiko; Chuunaru and Rover just did a good job of relieving you. I’m sure the Ozmund Company made some significant headway since then.” She put her report away and ate quietly; Keiko followed suit, but felt as if a cold darkness had permeated the room.

“I haven’t spoken to my brother much since coming here. I was honestly hoping you and I could talk.”

“You seem to be under the impression that your trivialities don’t concern me, because I’m far too busy handling much greater affairs. Lord Demise is quite good at giving people the wrong impression. Yes, I know you spoke with him. Why else would you be so apprehensive? I’m an incredibly busy woman, Keiko, but the fact is that your company concerns me a great deal. Establishing communication and gaining knowledge of the unknown worlds out there is crucial for every intelligent species. It is the job of the United Cosmic Military to protect all civilians from that which they cannot protect themselves against, and the alien forces you’ve been running into—hostile species, pirates, bandits, whatever you like—are indeed a significant threat.”

“It sounds like you’re preparing to disappoint me, Director,” Keiko murmured. The older woman stopped eating and stared at her dead in the eye.

“Officially, that is exactly what I must do, Keiko, and I am sorry. But believe me when I say it’s no choice of mine. Let me speak with you informally for a few minutes.” She raised her neck and touched a lapel pin on her suit collar, then squeezed one of her earrings. “I’ve turned the bugs off, but they can’t stay that way for very long, or security will become concerned. My accessories enable everyone to listen in and record whatever I hear, so what I say now must be kept in the strictest confidence. You are one of the few people I can really trust.” She took Keiko by the hand, and the young woman nodded.

“I understand, Clarissa. Should I tell Kyle as well?”

“Yes, but make sure you’re alone. There is an outside force infiltrating the UCM, and I’m almost certain it’s stretched into Demise Industries as well. I can’t present any facts, but I’m in a position to…notice things. This force is restricting our movements and keeping our influence in check—basically putting a fence around us. I think it all started before I became the Director, and whoever’s behind it has been trying to use me for their own purpose. The military cannot come to your aid, and neither can Demise Industries. You’ll be left to fend for yourself.

You’ll soon have no choice—either abandon exploration or take this mysterious offer. You and Kyle will have to figure out which works out best for you. I can’t give you any better advice; I’m being buried behind meaningless tasks and fruitless missions. What I can say is that after this race is over, you’ll have to forget about asking me for help in this matter. Believe me, I would if I could, but I’m being held back. We’re almost out of time; I’d better turn the bugs back on.”

While the Director was reactivating her devices, Keiko sat stunned in her chair, still holding her cocoa and muffin. She had originally thought it was mere economics or politics that was preventing anybody from increasing protection on those outlying ships, but now a more sinister thought had been suggested. Whoever was pressuring the military to keep away from its duties must’ve been so quiet and discreet about it that people didn’t even notice it, or else they accepted it. The change must’ve been very gradual, and made over a long period of time. As the parable went, a frog thrust into a boiling pot of water will jump out, but one thrown into a lukewarm pot that is incrementally brought to scathing will not even notice its own demise.

“I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but try to understand my position,” the Director said, though it was probably meant to please her eavesdroppers more than Keiko’s temperament. Her eyes were dark and morbid; she was expressing her true feelings even as her sweetened veneer was covering all the bitterness. “I am sorry I made you wait all this time. How would you like for me to make up for it? If we both have representatives going into the race, I could personally escort you to the Hagan system. You’ll have to wait another week, of course, but at least now you’ll be my guest. I hope that’s not too presumptuous of me—I know your schedule’s as demanding as my own.

“No, I would like that.” Keiko smiled frailly and stood up, taking some food with her as she bade the Director farewell. They shook hands and exchanged one last glance of understanding before the meeting ended.

……

Because the honor of hosting the Galactic Space Race had been fiercely competitive during its early years, potential candidates were selected randomly. Most computations took length, difficulty, and safety of the courses into mind as they were tabulated, but there were also factors such as number of habitable worlds (to hold the billions that crammed in to watch) and frequency of hosting to consider. Nobody wanted to give any system or species an unfair advantage, which ultimately meant that most hopeful candidates would have to wait decades for their chance. Even when the length of time between races was reduced from five years to three, many systems started screaming in protest, so now a bi-annually system is being proposed (annual meetings were out of the question, as worlds and pilots needed time to prepare).

The Hagan system had been overlooked for years, so one can only imagine the excitement generated when they were announced as the new host eighteen standard months earlier. It took them almost that entire time to set things up for the grand event: a set course had to be determined, and special teams had to sweep the entire run to make sure it was as safe as possible. There was really no such thing as a perfectly harmless Space Race: few pilots escaped completely unscathed, and several had even lost their ships or their lives during the course. But

that was all part of the life-or-death drama, the struggle for glory, and of course, the chance for everyone else to advertise their businesses.

As a rule, the hosting planetary system could not have any representatives in the race, nor could any citizen fly a private vessel. The rules did mention that citizens of the worlds could be counted as crewmembers, but only on ships registered as independent class. This rule was put into effect to minimize cheating and unfairness, and it was strictly observed. All participating ships, pilots, and crew were also put through a meticulous inspection and background check, and more often than not, hopeful cheaters were spotted and immediately disqualified. Ships could not use offensive weaponry to attack one another, nor could they engage in reckless aggressive acts (though this rule was bent sometimes), nor could they use any fuel that was not recognized by the racing commission (which meant Lennethium was permissible, but Rachel’s teleportation was out of the question). Usually, the pilots were required to go around the course only once, passing all the checkpoints along the way, but sometimes in a smaller system, they could circle three or even five times.

Herut pressed herself against the observation window, clouding the panes with her melancholy breath. The Hagan system, particularly planets number eleven and seventeen, was her birthplace; this was where she was born, modified, and raised for most of her life—and this was where Chandra kidnapped her and took her on the worst joyride of her life. But all things considered, it didn’t seem so awful anymore. At least she got to meet a lot of people and see a lot of places, and she even got to live as a real human again, and not just another model expected to do her job. She smiled softly as they docked and went through customs.

“You’d better be careful with some of them,” she said, indicating the women behind her. “There are a few bad eggs in our basket. Some are even wanted criminals.”

“The police turn a blind eye during the race, so don’t worry about it,” the customs officer explained. “If we went after every criminal and bounty-head that came to these races, there wouldn’t be anybody left to participate! Of course, after the one-day grace period they get when it’s finished, all bets are off. Just relax and enjoy yourself. We have you registered in the Coloniensis Hotel.”

That place?! Sheesh, Aseria’s dad really went nuts—not that I’m complaining!” She moved along and waited for her companions to trickle through. Herut hoped that the processors would find some fault in Chandra and ban her from participation, but as always, she had no such luck. At least she didn’t flirt her way through.

One of the great wonders of the Milky Way galaxy was the docking bay for ships registered at the space race, and it was the only one that was both mobile and manmade. The large numbers of vessels taking part in the competition were all lined up one after the other, with their respective crews, mechanics, and sweeper teams giving them a last inspection. The contrasting variety—size, shape, color, design, capabilities, and notoriety—meant that one could actually acquaint themselves with the galaxy as a whole just by taking a cart and driving down the long lane. Every major species and business was represented here, including amateur pilots, mixed crews, and unsung heroes with beautiful dreams. Dozens—hundreds—sometimes even a thousand different vehicles would blur by, each one as magnificent as the one before. Many were familiar and even famous: theirs was the stuff of legends, commanded by heroes and celebrities and champions of years before. But there were always just as many newcomers, and seeing so many fresh faces brought new excitement and rivalry to every race.

It was impossible to not see a familiar face wandering around the docks—and it was impossible not to make a new friend, either. Strong bonds of love, trust, and friendly competition were being made all time, and plenty of those relationships went on to become deeper and more intimate. Racers would struggle against each other, fall in love, and have children who would carry on the tradition. Of course, just as many enemies were made as well, but it was better for them to fight on the course than on a battlefield. Once the Dauntless was in position and her crew settled in, they went about exploring the mythical docks in search of their competitors.

Kayleigh and Teleah, who had been unanimously selected as the ship’s pilots, took their time looking around. They felt a surge of pleasant surprise as they came across the Bloody Dove and her salty crew (with two new royal additions chipping in), and several pirates waved and made friendly catcalls. Rose herself came out and blew them a kiss.

“Ah, I was hoping we’d run into you ladies again! I didn’t think you could resist the allure of the race. Hey, are you free anytime later today? What about tomorrow?”

“I think we’ll be busy until the race starts,” Kayleigh shouted (the noise in the docks was staggering).

“Why, are you asking us out on a date?” Teleah added saucily. Rose grinned and swung down on a rope to their level.

“I was hoping we could do more than just date,” she purred silkily. Teleah giggled and gushed with excitement; Kayleigh merely blushed. “Listen, uh, whaddya say we get together soon after the race, huh? We’re actually busting our butts right now, but we won’t have anything to do once we take the prize.”

“You seem confident!” Teleah exclaimed. Rose shrugged coolly.

“I figure we’ve got as good a chance as anybody. Cirrus and Alto are a godsend, let me tell you…and if you even think about playing hard to get, I’ll kidnap both of you as well.” She kissed their hands and winked; the other pirates were hooting and hollering, so Rose forced herself to break away and reprimand them. “All right, ya swarthy swine, get to it! I won’t fall behind on account of your lazy asses!”

Amy knew she’d have a tough time getting around, so she rented a cart and asked Alala to drive her around. The perky catgirl was only too happy to help: one, it gave her a good excuse to dodge Yenae’s teasing; two, it gave her the chance to get closer with the woman she had a crush on; and three, she always wanted to try her hand at driving. The last excuse didn’t turn out so well, and she nearly ran over a group of people before jerking to a halt. Amy was clutching onto the cart’s support for dear life; her hands and face were white with sudden fear. She still smiled, though, and forgave Alala for her inexperience, but decided to teach her new friend the basics before she really did some damage.

“You only need to use your right foot, so just relax the left. When you drive, take it slow at first—don’t press the accelerator until you’re comfortable with the handling. And when you’re turning or stopping, ease into the brake, don’t smash it. You also don’t need to jerk the wheel around so fiercely; a little subtlety goes a long way. Be sure to signal when you turn, and watch out for pedestrians and other vehicles. Just relax and take things slowly. There, see? It’s not so hard!”

“You’re right!” Alala said, laughing shakily. “It’s kinda easy once you get the hang of it. I’m still a little nervous, though, and I notice all the other carts don’t really like how slow we’re going.”

“They can go around you if they’re in a hurry. The speed limit here is pretty low, so they shouldn’t be in such a rush. Just take your time and relax. Wait, slow down. Slow down, please. Ah, very good—you did that well! Excuse me.” Amy hopped out, forgetting her crutch, and hobbled as fast as she could towards a sleek-looking vessel and her large crew, wincing and hissing but otherwise ignorant of the pain. Alala made a face, grabbed the forgotten cane, and hurried after her friend. She skidded to a halt and stood back in befuddlement as she saw Amy tackling a tall man from behind.

“Kyle!!”

“Hyack!! Who the heck’s doing this? Someone ran into…WHOA, AMY!! Amy Miracle! How the heck are ya?!”

“I’m wonderful!” she exclaimed as they embraced. Alala’s mouth hung open and her eyes bulged out. Did Amy actually have a boyfriend? They certainly acted as if they had known and loved each other for years; their conversation and gestures were animated and intimate; they were in another world, and she was left alone. But soon Amy called her over, smiling brighter than Alala had ever seen her, and drew her close once she caught up.

“Kyle, this is Alala, one of the new friends I’ve made. Alala, this is Kyle Ozmund, co-founder and co-owner of the Ozmund Company. We used to be classmates awhile back!”

“Yeah, almost half a lifetime ago!” he answered, smiling handsomely. Alala took one look at him and couldn’t help but blush. He wasn’t especially pretty or handsome, but he had a wholesome honesty about him—a purity, a love and an excitement that attracted people to his side. He had trustworthy eyes and a smile that really showed he was ready for whatever life had to throw at him, but he also had the drive and the thirst for adventure that had made the Ozmund Company what it was. He and Amy were really alike in that regard.

“I wish I had heard more about Amy’s friends,” Kyle said as he stared at Alala, rubbing his chin in thought. “She always could be intimate with just about anybody. She must make you feel like you’re the most wonderful person around.”

“Uh, yeah, I guess.”

“Just try not to fall too deeply in love with her!” he warned, ribbing Alala playfully. “Amy always had lots of fans back when we were in school. Men and women alike couldn’t resist her, even though she doesn’t mean to be that way. I was the same way, of course; I just learned how to profit by it. It’s Keiko who was the odd one out. Hey Amy, have you seen my sister anywhere? She went off to see Clari—I mean, Director Astor the last I heard, and I never got any reports.”

“Keiko and I haven’t spoken in years,” Amy replied in disappointment. “I thought she’d be here with you. Maybe she’s still with the Director.”

“So wait!” Alala exclaimed suddenly. “Do you two really know the Director of the United Cosmic Military?!”

“Not personally,” Kyle replied vaguely. “We’ve crossed paths now and then. We’re sort of…business associates. You know how the leaders of two different companies might get together every now and then for a social hour, or a business proposal? It’s the same with the three of us.”

“Oh. What about you?” Amy took off her glasses and wiped them carefully.

“I met her a few times before she became the Director. She was actually closer to my parents. So Kyle, are you entering the Zephyr again?”

“Yeah, but it hasn’t been the same since last time.” He glanced up at the ship representing the Ozmund Company, the Zephyr, which had won the race a few times before. A crew was working on it and coaching the pilot; Kyle dug into his pockets and frowned wistfully. “That girl’s seen too much action in her time. I really wanted to retire her, but the fans keep asking for more. I’ve announced that this’ll be her final race, so hopefully we’ll give her a decent sendoff. We should have the Zephyr-3 model in by the next race, but the fans won’t like it. ‘Don’t screw with a classic’, they say, even though this old model’s got more bugs than the hotel we’re staying at.” Amy chuckled softly; Alala stood quietly transfixed. Her mind was still on the relationship between these two people, and what it portended for her. Kyle had warned her not to fall in love with Amy. Was that just a friendly joke, or did he speak from experience?

……

Rebecca was separated from Riene during the confusion, and she regretted not being able to spend time with her, but she had Mink, Shana, Lyara, and Kate for company, so she really couldn’t have asked for much better. The five of them were wandering the docks aimlessly, trying to spot out the competition when chance caught Rebecca’s eye and drew her to a very familiar vessel. She ran as fast as she could, weaving and squeezing her way through the crowds, and called out to the pilot with a shout. A cool, sexy-looking blonde woman about fifteen years older than Rebecca turned around sharply, gasped in surprise, and flung her arms around the sprinting girl. It was her aunt Shandra.

“So this is the famous bounty hunter I’ve heard so much about,” Lyara remarked as they were all introduced. Shandra kept her smile reserved and studied each of Rebecca’s companions with careful, hardened eyes. She didn’t seem the type of woman to suddenly burst out laughing, and her beauty was hard and weathered: she had seen much and had lived through many struggles and battles. But for all her grim features, she was as sincere a person as you could ask for, and spoke firmly and wisely, always with love and conviction, and could be relied on when everything else failed.

“I’m glad my niece told me you were all with her,” she stated seriously, crossing her arms. “Normally I’d bring you two in to the local authorities. There is still a bounty for Lyara Tanith and Kathleen Shepherd, but because the police don’t get involved during the race, and because Becky has vouched for you, I’ll let you go.”

“There’s a bounty on my head too, ya know,” Rebecca snorted defensively. Shandra nodded.

“Yes, I know, but only a fool would go after you. I know you didn’t try to kill that man. I’m surprised Kaylee still lives on that world. Once I’ve finished with the race, I plan on visiting her again. Maybe you can come with me and convince her to leave.”

“Good luck with that,” Rebecca murmured. “Mom’s really attached to that world. It is where she and my father met…and where they got married…and where I was born.”

“Frankie didn’t seem too attached,” Shandra said bitterly. “He didn’t have any problems leaving both of you behind. I still don’t see how the two of us are related. Umm, I’m talking

about my brother Franklin Baker, Becky’s father.” Shana, Kate, and Lyara nodded quietly, now understanding why the two women didn’t really resemble each other.

“Anyway,” Rebecca said, “I do hope that mom decides to move away, even if she doesn’t go running around with you. She’s too good for that world. So how’s the ship?”

Prince Mishkin is still running strong,” Shandra reported. “I’m hoping to do better this time around. Why don’t you come join me, Becky? I could really use your help.”

“No thank you,” she blushed. “I’m actually part of another crew now, the Dauntless.”

“Oh yeah, I think Kaylee told me about that. Isn’t that the ship run by Dr. Miracle?”

“Yeah, but…the doctor’s not nearly as mysterious or enchanting as you might think.”

“So you’ve really met him…or her…or whatever?” Rebecca nodded her head quietly, while the others gradually began moving away. They all felt like they were imposing on an important family moment and didn’t want to get in the way. Shandra noticed them and waved.

“Oh, sorry for ignoring you all. Becky and I just haven’t seen each other for awhile and…you know. Maybe we could get better acquainted later. Umm, you, young lady—“

“Shana, ma’am.”

“Ah yes. Shana, you might want to look out—I think somebody’s following you.” She squeaked sharply and whirled around, ready to defend herself against any pervert or stalker. What she saw, though, was a boy about her height, though much younger, and behind him was a well-dressed woman around Rebecca’s age, and a very fat blue-skinned creature wiping his immense forehead with a cloth.

“Peek-a-boo!” the boy shouted proudly. He bowed suddenly, sweeping his arm elegantly as he reached for Shana’s hand. “I’m totally enchanted to meet you. Hey, there’s a whole bevy of babes standing around! This is awesome! It’s totally my lucky day!” Kate stepped up and dragged Shana away, glaring icily at the boy.

“Hey, who do you think you are, treating her like that? And how long have you been following us?”

“Not long enough, from the looks of it!” he purred, grinning rakishly. “So how many more are you? That white-haired chick really looks like she’d be my type, but I wouldn’t mind snuggling up to that Yun, either! Not that there’s anything wrong with muscular women—hubba, hubba! But girls closer to my age might prove more satisfying in the end. YEEEAAAAUUUGH, why can’t I just have them all?! Why should I be cursed with only one wife?! I’d like to spend my whole life surrounded by girlfriends, but it’s just my rotten luck to be forced out of bachelorhood!”

Blink, blink. The woman and the fat creature groaned wearily and interjected before the boy could be assaulted.

“Young master, do you really have to make a scene EVERY time you see a girl? You’re only twelve years old, for pity’s sake! Can’t you enjoy what few remaining childhood years you have left?”

“Quiet, Oswald, I’ll do what I please! Clio, get their names and numbers! Oh, and while you’re at it, ask which hotel they’re staying at, what seats they’re sitting in, their measurements…”

“One at a time, sir,” she replied crisply, jotting everything down. She bowed breezily in front of the girls and clasped her hands together. “Please pardon the young lord: it seems his

biological urges came earlier than anybody expected. If you would be so kind as to forgive his vulgar behavior…”

“CLIO, what the heck are you doing? Don’t slander me like that!”

“I’m sorry, sir!” she chirped sweetly. “I’ll choose my words more carefully next time! What I meant to say is that the young master has a habit of befriending all sorts of women, and you shouldn’t pay attention to what he says. He is still a child.”

“CLEEEEEEEEEE-YYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOO!!”

“Oh my, was that a bad expression too?” she giggled. The five women observing this spectacle decided to back away, slowly, before they brought any more attention upon themselves, but the fat blue creature stopped them with an apologetic gesture.

“Please, please, don’t feel too frightened. This is the direct heir of Demise Industries, Lord Moriarty Antony Demise Junior, and we are simply here to participate and promote our products, nothing more!”

“Says you!” the young boy shouted, stomping hard on his poor servant’s foot. The creature was so fat that he barely felt it, and jumped back as the much younger, much smaller man huffed through. “I came to score with a hot babe, and I see five right here! No offense, lady, but you’re just way too old for me—although maybe in about ten years, I could…” Shandra grinned sinisterly and leaned over until her eyes were level with the kid’s.

“You are so lucky,” she growled. “If you were any other spoiled little brat, I’d hang you up by your nose on a coat rack! Try not to get in my way during the race, okay? Miss Clio, Mr. Oswald, I leave this farewell for more reasonable minds. Becky honey, if you’re not going to join me, don’t disappoint me, either. I expect a good race from you, okay?”

“Yes ma’am,” she replied firmly. Lyara smiled in admiration: Rebecca really looked up to her aunt and loved her. As for their other rivals…

“Oh, young master, let it go! She’s only a bounty hunter anyway! Please don’t throw any more tantrums!”

“It’s not a tantrum! Did you see the bazongas on her? Who cares about age anymore?! I think I’ve fallen in love! Clio, get her name and number, and while you’re at it—“

“Her hotel and measurements, right? I suppose I better head to her dressing room if I expect to get that last request.”

“For Pete’s sake, Clio, stop acting so weird! Just her name and number will do!” Clio giggled softly, briefly turned around to wink at Rebecca’s group, and resumed her services as Lord Demise Junior’s secretary. Shana forced herself to laugh.

“I guess she knows what she’s doing…and he was pretty cute for a kid.”

“I liked him,” Mink added.

……

Director Astor of the United Cosmic Military bade farewell to Keiko Ozmund as she dropped her off and was taken to the ship that would represent her people in the race. While she would only sit on the sidelines as a spectator and cheerleader, she would entrust one of the military’s top pilots for the actual race, and choosing a candidate had not been easy, especially with all the pirate attacks and the mountain of paperwork forcing them from taking any real action against them. She put a lot of thought into her decision, and ultimately chose Captain

Chuunaru for the job. Kaori had been stunned, to say the least, especially since she believed she had failed the military in her last mission. But Director Astor knew she was a capable Captain and a good pilot; she just needed the chance to prove herself.

“I won’t let you down, Director,” Kaori whispered to herself as final preparations were made. “I swear I’ll prove to you just how great I am. I’ll make you proud of your decision. Luckily for me, this job got a whole lot easier once the Bloody Dove entered the race. I’ll play by the rules until the closing ceremonies are finished, and then those pirates will get a one-way ticket to Kaori land!”

But we also got information stating several wanted criminals were aboard the Dauntless as well. I want to do the right thing, but I just don’t know which direction to go in. I should probably attack the pirates first: they’re the biggest threat, after all, and I’ve heard they’ve been harassing the Ozmund Company. Now that I think about it, weren’t there a few bounty hunters hanging around? I know I saw Shandra Hill’s ship in the docks. If anybody can catch the Dauntless, it’s her!

“I apologize for my earlier outburst,” she announced to her crew. “My patience just slipped. Our objective is to represent the military in such a way that it will draw people’s admiration and respect, and strike horror and amazement into our enemies. Even if we don’t win, as long as we fly well, we can still emerge victorious. Once the race is over, pursue the Bloody Dove at full speed!”

“Roger, but what about the Dauntless, ma’am?”

“Pirates are the concern of the UCM. They are far more dangerous than any criminal we might come across. Contact Shandra Hill once the race is over and hire her to capture the other ship. It’s high time we regain our dignity.”

“Yes, Captain!”

Meanwhile, on the far side of the docks, Derian Kazcada was fretting and worrying himself bald. He tore out chunks of his hair and ripped his clothes in terror: this was his one final chance to redeem himself in Master’s eyes. He didn’t sign on to win the race but to avenge himself on his enemies. His mission was to destroy the Bloody Dove for turning back on their contract, and capture the Dauntless and its crew, no matter what the cost. Master vowed that no race officials would interfere with his work, and he also told Derian that a few racers would even assist him, just so long as he pulled his own weight. Derian was concocting a plan and muttering it out loud in incoherent babbles, even as the hours ticked away and the opening ceremonies drew closer.

A loud flourish of trumpets and bold fanfare announced the beginning of the ceremonies, and all pilots and crews were asked to board their ships and take place at the starting gate. While this was happening, the leaders of the Hagan system came forth to give their blessings and their proud speeches, but the real pomp didn’t begin until the main sponsors arrived to dedicate the race. Director Astor watched with beaming pride as two women approached the podium: one in a wheelchair and the other patiently walking behind her.

“Oh my god!” Alala squeaked as Rachel turned the broadcast on. “I know her! That’s the Headmaster of my old school! The Headmaster’s here! Hey, don’t you guys know who she is? That’s the Headmaster of Ares Academy! And that other person—she’s the Chairwoman of the Stellkei Educational Division of Academics! I had no idea they were sponsoring the race!” Several women shushed her and turned the volume up. The woman in the wheelchair, Alala’s former Headmaster, was speaking first. She was a woman in her mid-fifties, and her reddish hair was darkening and turning gray, but she still carried herself with great discipline and beauty, and

her eyes shimmered with a striking light. The woman standing behind her was about the same age, only her hair was almost completely black, with very few silver strands to boast about, and her skin was toasted bronze from having a Mediterranean heritage.

“Ladies and gentlemen, spectators and sportspeople, old and young, wealthy and meager, great and small, citizens and species from every corner of our galaxy, I bid you all welcome to the one hundred eighth Galactic Space Race, hosted by the Hagan system and sponsored by the Stellkei Educational Division of Academics. My wife and I are here to promote goodwill, knowledge, understanding, and the realization of dreams, for it is within unity, even in the fire of competition, that we truly become better people. May you race with all of your heart, and may every one of you find your prize, no matter which position you finish in. Fly safe, fly free, fly proudly, every one.” The spectators applauded solemnly; more than a few of them had been moved. Alala sighed lovingly.

“She hasn’t changed…but I had no idea she and the Chairwoman were married!”

“My wife and I will now introduce the pilots and their vessels as they take one unified lap around the mining colony,” the Chairwoman stated. “Pilots, begin your circle at cruising speed, and please keep in formation.” The Chairwoman began introductions and alternated with her wife the Headmaster, just as the ships revolved around the mining colony, oozing charm and confidence for the trillions of viewers.

“Our first vessel in the lineup is last year’s champion, the heart of the Sindar Empire, the one and only Einlanzer 3, piloted by Arileth Naiis!!”

“Next in line is Elegant Clio, the ship representing Demise Industries. Although the current head of Demise Industries could not attend, his nephew Moriarty Demise, Jr. has kindly volunteered to act in liaison, and his bodyguards Oswald Nykhentfohr and Clio Petra, presumably whom the ship was named after, will act as pilots.”

“Now we come to a familiar face, the Norgrim’s crown jewel, regarded as the fastest ship in their expansive merchant fleet! Five-time champion Hetz Loma pilots the legendary Opportune Rain!”

“After that, burning through the skies like a brilliant comet is the Ozmund Company’s famous Zephyr, flying on her final voyage! Let’s give this incredible ship and her daring pilot all the support we can! Long live the Zephyr! Long live Tinma Niklaus!”

“Following is an independent ship sponsored by an anonymous donor! Captained by the legendary Dr. Miracle and piloted by Kayleigh and Teleah Acheron, it is the Dauntless!”

“Next up is one of the most infamous pirate vessels around, commanded by the beautiful yet bloodthirsty Dead Roses! You know her, you love her, it’s the Bloody Dove!”

“Coming up is another favorite of the Space Races, the Rennai penal colony vessel Screaming Skull—as always, piloted by indentured criminals working hard for their freedom! Good luck, everyone!”

“Speaking of renegades, this next ship is piloted by one of the most feared and powerful gangs on Avatar! Captained and piloted by their current leader, Asara Sandhya, it’s—what else—the Night Hammer!”

“Another independent ship recently entering the race is the Backdraft, piloted by someone known only as ‘Mr. D.’ Mr. D was sponsored by Nemo Nephele, a recent newcomer to the business world. We want to wish him the best of luck from here on out!”

“Now we come to another famous ship, representing the United Cosmic Military! The current Director is a former student of mine, so I’ll be watching their progress quite closely. Hailing from Helios 3, Kaori Chuunaru is piloting Stormrider!”

“Next we have a huge fan favorite, the envoy from Tigris! As always, they have chosen a slick, sexy ship with a very suggestive name! Ready to steal our hearts is the lovely Fai-Lynn, piloting the energetic Colonel Lingus!”

“But let’s not forget another former champion ready to steal the crown away! Hailing from the Heavyworld planet of Brigadoon is the Bulldozer, piloted by Mack Sodenberg!”

“Next is another heartbreaker looking to make it big again this year! One of the finest and most feared bounty hunters in the galaxy is back: Shandra Hill is here, and she is piloting the classic Prince Mishkin! I hope our more disreputable participants are prepared to run from her once the race is over!”

“But let’s not forget the mighty vessel representing the indomitable Elshyrin species, either! I’ve been told this race is very personal for the pilot, so please cheer for Saki Yrhol and the Domination!”

“Next, we have another newcomer to the fold, apparently one with a classy sense of humor! Steering the infamous Der Fliegende Hollander is Captain Barbarossa! Let us hope the real thing doesn’t show up to ruin our fun.”

“Finally, the jewel of the Helios system, the joy of Gaia and the self-proclaimed ‘hope for tomorrow’, piloting the Kemosabe is newcomer Satine Yeriman!”

“We wish you all good luck, a safe flight, and a wonderful race.”

……

The crowd became dead silent. Millions of people becoming so still sent shivers up the spine, and the air grew thick with joyous anticipation. Chairwoman Stellkei stood by her wife’s side, raising a white handkerchief in the air, a symbol of the fluttering pure hearts gathered there and the heightened suspense they helped create. Engines were revved up and pilots nervously hovered over the accelerators. Sweat poured over skin. Palms became slick. Mouths turned dry. Pulses soared. Hands were held. Time itself seemed to freeze for but a moment.

All Hell suddenly broke loose as Ivy dropped the handkerchief, and the race began.

Preview of next chapter:

Fuuka: Whoosh, whoosh! Whoosh, whoosh! My boyfriend is a pilot…

Lil: Another anime reference?

Fuuka: Yes, from Macross! And now it seems we’re also stealing from Outlaw Star!

Yenae: The race begins at full throttle in the next chapter! From here on out, it’s all balls to the walls action!

Lil: Yuck! Bad analogy. Breasts are much nicer.

Fuuka: Yeah, listen to the Mulian!

Lil: STOP CALLING ME THAT! How many times do I have to tell you I’m a Mun!

Fuuka: But isn’t that what they’re called?

Yenae: Somebody needs to move out of her mother’s basement…

Fuuka: (crying) You just can’t appreciate quality works of art! At least Athena understands me!

Lil: Only cuz’ you bang her every night!

Yenae: Really? Hmm, maybe I need to start watching more anime!

Fuuka: The next chapter is “Space Race: bursting through the heavens!” So Yenae, what anime would you want to watch?

Yenae: Something with lots of sexy, cute, intelligent catgirls! Mrow!!

Lil: (groans) There’s no such thing…

Onwards to Part 26


Back to Voyage of the Dauntless Index - Back to Original Fiction Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction