Voyage of the Dauntless (part 23 of 69)

a Original Fiction fanfiction by Al Kristopher

Back to Part 22 Untitled Document

“Mission of the Bloody Dove: yo ho-ho, a damsel in distress!”

“I told ya already, I don’t know what came over me,” Rose said sourly. “Something just made me want that hat really bad. The thing is, I got so caught up with that piece of shit that I forgot to get what I really came there for! Lasses, if ever you see that scurvy Dauntless with those two goddesses behind the helm, give me a scream and we’ll take back what’s ours!”

“Aye, Captain!”

“Actually,” Patches murmured, “we might have to hold off on that for awhile. I’m getting a distress signal from the Nimbus system—place of origin is the moon of their main planet, Cumulus. Want me to patch it through?”

“Sure, go ahead.” There was no visual but the audio was enough to grab the pirates’ attention. A young woman’s voice called out to them, choked with desperation.

To all vessels passing the Nimbus system outside the jurisdiction of the Royal Stratus house, I am Princess Cirrus Stratus, and I beg for your assistance. I repeat, I am Princess Cirrus Stratus, and if anybody is listening, the kingdom is in bleak jeopardy. Please respond, anybody!

“That’s the whole reel,” Patches said. “So whaddya think, Cap’n? Should we make a pit stop?”

“Sure, why the hell not?” Rose sang arrogantly. “You know I can never turn down a request from a lady, and she sounds cute. But let’s make this a kidnapping, just in case.”

“And what do we do with her after we kidnap her?” Natalie said, grinning lustfully. Rose swatted her bare bottom with the flat of her blade.

“Keep your mind outta the gutter, Nats. We’ll all have our fun once we’ve figured out the whole story.” The Bloody Dove quickly changed course and barreled through the darkness of space to meet the cloudy damsel in distress. True to its name, the Nimbus system was solely populated by gas worlds, but almost all of them were habitable, and they were ruled by the benevolent but distant Cloud Kingdom, which had been independent from the rest of the galaxy’s armies and bureaucracies eons before its discovery. Visitors were welcomed and treated warmly these days, but in most cases, they were not encouraged to stay very long. The Royal Family had been in isolation for millennia and it preferred to cling to its old ways for as long as possible.

Only the moons of Nimbus were solid, and all save one were inhospitable wastelands, much like the satellites of the Helios system. Cumulus, the only exception, was strictly reserved for the royal family and could not be despoiled by common feet lest a member of royalty grant them special pardon. That the princess should so boldly invite perfect strangers to this forbidden realm gave the Dead Rose pirates an idea of how serious the situation was, and they raised their guard. They had been through

scenarios like this many times before, when an innocent party requested their aid, and few of them turned out to be legitimate. There was no teeming armada to greet them this time, though, nor a platoon of soldiers ready to imprison them—nor anything, for that matter, save for a large bare spot reserved for the first good Samaritan to land, and of course the princess herself, who stood waiting patiently even as the pirate ship made port.

“Hot damn, she’s a looker!” Patches screeched. All the pirates clamored out to see, a great noise of whistles, howls, and catcalls rising as they beheld the beleaguered woman. Despair and torment had carved a very tragic, ethereal beauty on her face: she was as pale as the clouds themselves, fair but with curly hair darker than the storms, and she had a regal dress that humbly glowed with a misty blue, like the sky when dawn has approached on a clear day. She had no jewels save a pearl headband that kept her hair from flapping, and as was the custom on Cumulus, her feet were bare.

“She is pretty,” Rose admitted. “Damn, I hate playing rough with something like that! You don’t see too many maidens like her anymore. Duchess, you come with me, and the rest of you horn-dogs, stay put! I don’t need you slobbering all over her!”

“But why only Duchess?” they whined. Rose snapped at them harshly and swung her sword in the air.

“Get your heads outta that woman’s cleavage for a second and think! Who else here even remotely resembles a sophisticated lady? Hell, even I’d throw that woman off, and I’m the biggest fucking socialite on this ship! So Duchess comes with me to make sure she’s comfortable, comprende-vous? Let’s go.” The crew was still downcast as their Captain and the lucky helmswoman left the ship, but they were a loyal crew: they would obey Rose even if it meant holding back their wild sexual rampaging.

“You’re a silly fool,” said Rose as she saluted the princess. “Only an ignorant little brat that’s spent too many hours getting her pink ass pampered in some froofy drawing-room would broadcast a distress signal for every sleaze, scumbag, and no-good scallywag to listen to! Just look at the people that took your little bait!” Rose was expecting Cirrus to back away in defeat, or at least humiliation, and smiled as she noticed the princess had not budged an inch. In fact, her steely crimson eyes were firm and strong, like the burning sphere above, and she stood as if transfixed upon the very foundation of the moon itself.

“I had no alternative,” she answered plainly. “Are you here to help me or not?”

“Please don’t pay any attention to the Captain’s rude behavior,” Duchess said as she approached the princess. She bowed politely, finally educing a tiny smile. “We Dead Roses are accustomed to subtler greetings, I’m afraid. She’s really very kind, you know, just not respectful.”

“Born and raised,” Rose said proudly with another salute. “So what can we pirates do for you?” Cirrus didn’t even flinch at the mention of pirates, which indicated this situation was darker and grimmer than even Rose could imagine.

“How many do you have?”

“A hundred, on and off, every lass loyal and strong.”

“That will do,” she murmured to herself. “Are there any that have skill with picking locks, or theft, or skulking around?” Rose snickered and gave Duchess a condescending expression.

“Maybe I forgot to mention we’re pirates.”

“Forgive me, but I needed to know,” Cirrus replied. “You see—and this might sound strange to you—a certain item has taken over my mother’s mind, and every attempt at removing or destroying it has…well, they have all failed. Every friend that I’ve been able to summon has either been imprisoned, exiled, or…executed. I’m at the end of my rope here; I’ve exhausted all my other resources. I realize that my distress call was foolhardy, but as I said, I had no other options before me. I love my mother dearly and she is the only family I have left, and if you could only see her before the change went into affect…” Here the young woman’s strength finally waned, and her posture bent as untold months and years of misery weighed her down. As disrespectful as Rose was, though, she understood the stab of hopelessness and didn’t blame the young woman for breaking.

“I’ve heard of items like this before,” she said once Cirrus regained her composure. “Actually…I may have been under the influence of one recently. Most of em’ are the work of that damned Elvish race, but I’ve heard that a few were made by Wizards—real ones, too, and so long ago. I sincerely apologize for insulting you earlier, Princess Cirrus. Rest assured the Dead Roses won’t give up until this thing is destroyed and your mother’s been freed.”

“Thank you,” she sighed, shedding tears of relief.

“So what is this object called,” Duchess asked, “and what does it look like—and would you know where it is right now?”

“Well…”

……

Rebecca’s heart was pounding hard, and a portion of her mind told her that she could really talk to anybody about this. But no matter what defense she put up or who she gazed at in an attempt to cover the truth, she was irresistibly drawn to Riene Latoli and wanted to speak with her. She had told herself there was no way a cultured, debonair lady like her would ever associate with a fifth-rate tomboy pretending to be a superhero, but her legs and her heart drew her to Riene’s room anyway and she knocked on the door with the hope that Riene’s civility would shine through and tolerate Rebecca’s presence for a few minutes at least. It opened, to her frayed delight, and Riene smiled in a way that indicated she was pleasantly surprised.

“Rebecca! I hardly ever see you around anymore!”

“Yeah, just one adventure after another. Umm, is it okay if I come in to talk?”

“Why don’t you have lunch with me? I’ve been napping ever since we came back and I haven’t had a thing to eat.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, did I wake you?”

“Yes,” she replied cheerfully, “but you’re a very good alarm clock. Why don’t we order something and then find a nice quiet table to sit down?” The very thought of being in relative privacy with Riene gave Rebecca’s nervous heart wings, and she almost danced the rest of the way. Riene smiled beautifully as this mysterious, gorgeous, strong warrior walked by her side; the temptation to reach out and hold her hand was outstanding. In truth, Riene had been groggy and bitter when she was rudely jerked away from her warm, soft bed, but seeing the angelic Rebecca brightened her moment. And she wanted to talk! She felt so unworthy wasting this goddess’s time, but she wasn’t about to complain about it!

“Hi, Kate,” Rebecca said as she passed through the kitchen. “You all been busy?”

“On and off. I really wish everyone would stick to the same schedule. You’re so lucky that you don’t have a shift today.”

“Luck of the draw, I guess.” Due to Chandra’s increased negligence and the erratic eating schedules and habits of the crew, the few people who could cook took turns making meals for everybody, and now Kate was handling everything. She had greatly improved ever since the infamous cooking contest not long ago (Valti had only just finished mopping up tomato sauce and pieces of tentacle goo), and though she still had a long way to go, she learned quickly and was happy to be working. The dining room was virtually abandoned that time of day (which was why Kate was in the kitchen and not a more experienced chef), so Riene and Rebecca had their pick. They chose a distant table in the corner and sat down, picking quietly.

Is this a date, Rebecca hoped.

I wonder if she meant for this to be a date, Riene thought.

“So what did you want to talk to me about?”

“You had more fun the other day than I did,” Rebecca pointed. “My team just stood outside and covered your back. I’ve always wanted to explore the Panther’s Tomb, but when I finally got my chance, I chickened out and stayed behind. I guess that was for the best—I mean, I probably would’ve been useless in there.” Riene shook her head quietly.

“I could’ve used you. I actually wished you had come with us. There was a deep pool of water in there and…ugh! Aseria actually dove in.”

“Are you afraid of water?” she asked delicately. Riene smiled.

“No, of course not. I just hate the idea of drowning. It was a deep place… But at least I made myself useful in there. We really needed you, though.”

“When?” Riene took a deep breath and mindlessly prodded her food.

“This journey we’re all on requires more than strength and intelligence, or skill, or talent. I know it sounds cheesy, but everyone really does have her uses here, and…if the situation called for it, everyone could prove very powerful. Just look at Vimmy: she’s small, frantic, vain, and oh yeah, let’s not forget the chatter!” They chuckled for awhile, each one briefly captivated by the beauty of the other’s mirth. “But when it comes to the economy, or money in general, we couldn’t ask for a better ally. Naja and Lil…they’re obnoxious, and frankly not entirely virtuous people, but they’ve saved our lives a hundred times over. Shana looks like an ordinary kid, but I don’t even think we could’ve made it out of Bibliopolis without her. And you…”

For the first time since they met, Riene looked Rebecca straight in the eye, and all of time and space seemed to freeze as each one mirrored the full gamut of human thought and feeling. “Fixing and modifying weapons is a nice skill,” Riene whispered, “but I think you’re best at raising other people’s morale. There’s a certain air about you that makes things…happier, and better than when you’re not around. At least,” she murmured with a soft blush, “that’s how I feel.” A long, slow silence passed between them as Rebecca let these words permeate her skin and penetrate through into deeper, more spiritual realms. In so many words, Riene had said “I like being around you”, and even if she meant that to be strictly platonic, it was better than she could’ve ever hoped.

“You sure are good at changing the subject,” she said at last. They laughed quietly and Riene resumed telling her about all the perils of the Panther’s Tomb.

Since the adventure inside the Panther’s Tomb was so wearying on everybody, Amy decided to give the crew a few days to rest before suggesting the next destination. Since she was relying on distance and not precedence, Amy looked through the requests to see which was the closest to their

current location. Going on Rose’s expedition had thrown them off course a bit, so now they were actually closer to Sharyn’s treasure than anyone else’s. Naja, who would’ve gotten her way if the Dauntless had not turned around so suddenly, was understandably furious, but Amy withstood her complaints peacefully and ended up making a compromise with her.

“When we’ve finished getting Sharyn’s treasure, I’ll personally come along with you when we find the Nail of Saigrim, I promise. And you can hold me to that.”

“Don’t worry, I will!” she had snapped. Naja then remembered that Amy was hardly in any condition to go traveling with her and had pointed this out. “But you’re gonna hold me back, you know. I may just cut that foot off.”

“You’re welcome to try,” Amy had answered calmly, “but before you go looking for a hacksaw, remember that I have a genie for a friend, and she’ll do whatever I tell her, and that includes helping you.” Naja had paused for a moment and frowned as she tried to make sense of this.

“Um…so you won’t be coming with me alone?”

“I never said that,” she smiled. Naja had actually laughed and shook her head in surprise.

“You are one tricky bitch, doc! Okay, I’ll hold you to your word, but you’d better keep it! Otherwise—“

“If I don’t,” Amy had answered coolly, “I’ll give you the hacksaw myself and hold back on the anesthetic.”

“Of course,” Amy said to herself as Sharyn walked into her room with the Tome of Treasures, “now I’ll have to negotiate with whoever was originally after Sharyn. Rose certainly had an inconvenient way of repaying her debt. Hello! So where is it you’d like to visit?”

“A place which holds sublime significance to my life, my quest, and my people,” the young woman answered, flipping the virtual pages until she came to her spot. “Hast thou ever heard of the Cloud Kingdom?”

“No, I don’t think so.”

“There are few who have. It has hitherto been isolated and ostracized from alien contact. Their doors opened but recently, a century ago methinks, whereupon my people rejoiced, for within their magnificent walls lies a treasure worth more than gold or jewels. Do ye know of the Standard of Andvari? Ah, tis’ an item sought above all else in New Avalon; tis’ said a mere glance revives the spirit of even the most downtrodden. Harvests increase to overflowing, enemies shirk back in terror, friends flock and become graceful, the elderly feel young and the young feel wise. My land hath been gloomy and bleak for many an age; I myself grew up in poverty, though my father was a fine man and a heroic knight. Void Dragons hath beset us with unjustified wrath, and many have placed their hopes in me, who decided to venture outside our walls seeking this Standard. O dearest Amy, if ever you considered

yourself my friend, prithee do it now, and grant me leave to visit the Cloud Kingdom. The Nimbus system hast becometh mine hope.”

……

A much smaller team accompanied Sharyn to Stratus, since most of the others were still bushed from all their earlier travels. Since everything was still on a volunteer-only base, Lyara volunteered first, mostly because she felt deep in her heart that Sharyn would need her for this task. She still remembered lashing out at the impressionable young woman on Reversa, and even though it hadn’t been her fault and Sharyn had forgiven her long ago, she wanted to do something to lift the guilt and prove herself. Speaking of people wanting to prove themselves, Alala came along, and did everything in her power to keep Yenae away (even though all it took in the end was a simple “no thank you”). Of course, since Sharyn was now directly involving herself in a task, Vimmy went with her in the hopes of settling her debt (when she and Mink picked up the young woman and gave her a ride), and where Vimmy went, Mink was sure to follow.

“I say, dear friend, if this Standard is half as important as you think it is, you could easily give it to me once you’re finished with it, yes, once you’re done, in other words, and that would clear everything nice and square, I think it’s a bargain, and I wouldn’t even try to take it for myself first, no, your story was touching, it really struck my heart, such selfless philanthropy is missing these days, so please take it and use it, my dear, by all means, but once you’re, erm, finished, do kindly let me have a look at it, yes, a very long, careful look.”

“Greedy little monster, aren’t you?” Alala growled, giving the petite Norgrin a soft kick. Vimmy squealed and went into a tirade about how “beautiful businesswomen should not be abused by the economically inferior”, and this started a squabble between two very strong-willed women which was thankfully cut short by Lyara.

“Both of you, shut up!! We’re not here to satisfy your greed or your ego, we’re here to help save Sharyn’s people! Honestly, why don’t you grow up?”

“Hey, I’m pretty mature for my—“ A single glare silenced Alala’s retort, but Lyara sent a secret telepathic message just in case she didn’t get the hint. Vimmy grumbled about how she was being treated like a martyr, but never loud enough to draw attention, and Sharyn walked ahead, silent with Mink, both humbly glowing with faint happiness.

She stuck up for me! Lyara’s really starting to come out of her shell.

I was hoping somebody would put Master Vimmy in her place.

“So what does this Standard look like?” Lyara asked once everything had calmed down. “And do you know where it is?”

“The Tome indicated it would decorate the mantle above the royal thrones, so we shall move there and judge the next course of action. Tis’ unmistakable, this Standard: a silver tortoise bearing six limbs and two heads rests atop a field of lush green, and the sky doth offer a backdrop, lined with wisps.”

“Sounds like the unholy offspring of Valti and the Acheron twins,” Alala muttered.

“Tis’ a harbinger of good fortune, so let not its appearance deceive thee.” Alala shrugged casually and stuck close to the group, distancing herself from Vimmy, as they approached the royal castle. Customs hadn’t been as nightmarish as they thought with Riene negotiating their way through (Sharyn’s strange manner of speaking also impressed ground control), and after a bit of formal conversation, Sharyn and her accomplices were labeled as guests of Queen Alto Stratus, privileged with exploring her home and visiting her when summoned.

Those blessed enough to study the grace and dignity of the princess would instantly see the family resemblance: Queen Alto was striking in her mature beauty and commanded great respect and love with the smallest gestures as she bade her guests to enter, slowly. Her hair was much longer than her daughter’s, and it was flecked with dim silver and tied up to expose her silky neck, but age had clearly been kind to her and she wore her years proudly, although her ruby eyes did not even hold half the life they once did. She sat up perfectly straight and spoke slowly, her voice rich and thoughtful, but a careful observer could notice how stiff she seemed, and how her joints sometimes twitched, like she was being pulled on a string. She never made anybody really feel at ease; she was just too intimidating and radiant. You really felt obligated to kneel before her.

“It is our pleasure to welcome you and offer our hospitality,” she droned mechanically (if richness can be mechanical). “We see an Elf, graceful and wise, and a Yun, thoughtful and deliberate. There is also a Norgrin, avaricious and cunning, and one who could readily assimilate into our guard, if she did not seem so sickly. The catgirl is also welcome, though we would command her to refrain from her harlotry.”

“I’m not a harlot,” Alala hissed furiously.

“Tis’ my natural color, esteemed highness!” Sharyn exclaimed. “And I beg of thee to forgive my feline friend. Her chastity and valor are equal to my own.”

“Then we apologize, unless you are a harlot yourself, emerald girl. Tell us, what brings you to visit Stratus? Long have we been in isolation, and too few years since have been spent in the company of aliens.”

“My companions and I wish to behold the Standard raised yonder, and with your permission, borrow it briefly for the improvement of my kin.” The five of them didn’t even need to wait a second for the Queen’s answer: the moment Sharyn uttered “Standard”, Alto’s eyebrow raised indignantly and her cold fury was summoned. Her expression and tone of voice did not change in the least as she ordered her visitors imprisoned, and upon the morning of the next day, executed.

But Vimmy sure did make a scene.

……

“Hey, what do you think you’re doing, don’t you know who I am, you can’t handle Vimmy Fonester like this, I know people, you’ll see, they’ll hear about this and you’ll be wishing you hadn’t treated me so poorly, this cell reeks, and what about my last meal, do you realize how uncivilized it is to execute someone simply for no—mmphhn phnnmff?!”

Thank you!” Lyara exclaimed as the guards gagged Vimmy. They smiled thinly, happy to be of service, and continued their rounds. Lyara mirrored their dead expression and glanced at Mink, who was blankly staring into space. “It was worth being thrown in the slammer just to have her shut up for a moment.”

“Mm,” she nodded. Sharyn was pacing back and forth, wringing her hands and muttering incoherently. She could face death all right, but not an unjust death, and she couldn’t understand why anybody would be executed for mentioning the Standard of Andvari.

“Mayhaps my quest includes liberating it through force,” she deduced doubtfully.

“Will you quit your babbling?” Alala growled as she picked at the cell’s lock. “We’ll be outta here in five minutes, so figure out what you wanna do.”

“What I wish to do?” Sharyn stopped pacing and focused her doubt on the studious catgirl.

“Yeah. You brought us here, so whaddya wanna do now? We can’t just ask for that thing, but I don’t wanna steal it either, and I don’t like the idea of giving up.”

“My intention was to retrieve the Standard and use it for the betterment of my people,” Sharyn answered firmly. “Diplomacy hath failed us, that much is certain, and if the Queen’s guards espy us, we shall be incarcerated again—or else killed outright. I do not wish to resort to pilfering, but if this Queen doth refuse her aid, she ranks below a villain!”

“But do your ends justify the means?” Lyara wondered rhetorically. “Who’s to say they don’t need it here? We should take it, certainly, but we should confront the Queen once we have it, and state our case out loud. If she refuses then, we may not have any other choice.”

“I’ve got no problem beating up wicked people,” Alala said as she finally solved the lock. The cell door opened and she jumped for victory. “Ha! There hasn’t been a prison yet that can hold me!”

“Yenae would be proud,” Lyara teased her. “In any case, let’s figure out what we’re going to do. What’s the plan, Sharyn?”

“We shall need infiltrators to spirit the Standard away covertly. Lady Alala, I count on thee for this task, and Lady Mink, thou as well.”

“Sounds fine.”

“Leave it to me! But just ‘Alala’ will do.”

“Ah, as you will. Ladies Tanith, Fonester, I shall ask thy aid for distracting the guards. Lady Fonester, this is where your skills will be the most required. Wilt thou perform accordingly?” She gently removed Vimmy’s gag and smiled softly; the petite entrepreneur wiped her mouth and sighed.

“Oh all right, I think I know what you have in mind, dear, but let’s be quick about it, this place rubs me the wrong way, but bother, I’m hungry, Mink, would you happen to have anything to—“

“Shut up and let’s go,” Lyara barked as she dragged the energetic woman away.

Very little had changed around the royal estate since Sharyn and her crew of four were thrown in prison. Dusk was now closing in on the world and soon it would be night; stars were already poking through the inky ceiling, and torches were being lit everywhere. The guard had doubled, which was exactly what Sharyn expected: they would need the increased security during the night, and surely their previous attempt helped increase the numbers! This Queen was shrewd, no mistake there, but Sharyn felt blessed to be around so many capable friends.

“We shall draw as many away as we can,” she said to Alala and Mink. “Once ye feel tis’ safe, entrench thyself inside and slink along as you can. I urge thee both to take care; I hath a negative sentiment concerning this.”

“Just leave it to us!” Alala exclaimed, clenching her fist in excitement. Mink nodded blankly, but Vimmy could tell she was really having a lot of fun. It was her job to waddle into town and (as much as she despised the idea) throw her money around wildly, raising as much of a ruckus as possible. Lyara would send telepathic messages to the guards, confusing them as Sharyn moved in to disable them. She

had no problems wielding her sword, but preferred only to use it on her enemies, and realistically, these men were only doing their jobs.

“Well, here I go,” Vimmy wailed, so crestfallen that she didn’t even continue her tirade. She drew in a great breath and ran screaming down the venues and alleys, throwing fistfuls of gold as she announced her generosity to the world. The town was soon crawling with people, and the guards chased after them to calm the uproar. Lyara directed her thoughts to their minds and also to the minds of those who stayed behind; Sharyn struck them down with the pommel and flat of her blade. Alala and Mink crept inside during the chaos, found the Standard, grabbed it, furled it up, and crept back without so much as disturbing a single grain of dust.

“Ah, excellent! My heart is sorrowful to commit such vulgar acts, but what must be done must be done. Let us meet the Queen and plead our case!”

“Not so fast!” Sharyn’s hand went straight for her sword and she inched it out as she glared at her challenger. Alala looked disturbed but calm, Mink was as emotionally cold as ever (though there was a small trace of uneasiness in her eyes), and once Lyara and Vimmy joined them, the latter sobbing profusely, they jerked to a halt and bristled (well, Vimmy was far too upset to be bothered by anything else, and didn’t even notice the company). The Dead Roses stood between them and a clean getaway.

“Sorry about the cliché,” Rose grinned craftily, “but I’ve always wanted to use it and I figured it’d get your attention. So what do we have here, old friends? If I had known you’d resort to piracy, I’d recruit your sweet asses.”

“This is a matter that concerns thee not, foul Rose,” Sharyn muttered darkly. Rose brightened at this latest insult and laughed.

Foul Rose? Now that’s a new one. But all playful bantering aside, I’d like for you all to move away, unless you wanna help me. We’re looking for the Standard of Andvari, and as grateful as we are that you all got rid of security, we’d prefer it if you didn’t get in our way. So sil vous plait…” Sharyn took a careful step back and squeezed the scrolled-up Standard defensively. She drew her sword out all the way. Lyara rolled her eyes.

“T’was I who claimed it first, foul Rose.”

“You’re acting like a brat, Shar,” the elf sighed. “Rose, why do you need that thing? Is it just another pretty decoration?”

“I can handle mine own negotiations, Lady Tanith!!” Sharyn snapped. Everyone else decided to stay out of the conflict and left it up to the two women and their hapless mediator. Rose sighed gently and lowered her sword; she had to remember this was a hotheaded young woman fresh out of training school.

“You know, a wise man once told me that if your eyes are too wide, you’ll go blind. I think he meant that you couldn’t take such an innocent view of the world. Good and evil are subjective…and all

that futzpah. Look, babbling aside, the princess here—“ She gestured to a beautiful, pale woman who greatly resembled the Queen they had met earlier, “She told us that the Standard you have there has taken control of her mother’s soul, or whatever. Look, it’s basically a magic artifact that somebody gave the Queen in the hopes of patching up some conflict, I dunno. Cirrus here can tell you about it if you’re really interested. The point is, I promised this woman I’d set fire to that thing, and if you’re not gonna cooperate with me and force me to go back on my word, I’m afraid we’ll have to cross swords.”

“Would that I could trust a fox such as thee,” Sharyn muttered darkly. “Brigands such as thyself caused the downfall of many good estates when my people thought their famines and depressions concluded, and I hath not once lowered mine guard in thy presence. They suffer still, friends and family I hath known since birth, and this Standard may be their only remedy! Thou sayest mine eyes are too broad, my shoulders too light, my experience too scant…yet many dark times I’ve spent hoping beyond all measure. What wouldst thou have me do, now that my greatest wish hast been granted?”

“The real question is,” Rose said quietly, “would you really allow Cirrus’s mother to continue leading her kingdom to ruin? Furthermore, what makes you think that Standard will do everything you say?”

“And hast thou a right to say different?!” Their swords both glittered in starlight and firelight: the only way to settle this would be through dual.

“You’re both such children,” Lyara sighed wearily, “but I guess now it can’t be helped.” They charged and fought each other methodically at first, gauging the other’s strength and style. Sharyn drew first blood as she slashed at Rose’s coat, but Rose’s cutlass couldn’t even scratch Sharyn’s armor. The pirate stepped back, let out a breath, and began removing her outer garments: cloak, vest, and bodice, leaving only a comfortable, light corset protecting her. Sharyn turned red: Rose appeared quite feminine without her pirate’s clothes.

“Don’t give me a disadvantage, girl,” she stated bitterly. “Take off your armor and face me like a woman!” Sharyn hesitated for a moment, but understood what the older lady was implying. She was humiliated for going into this dual wearing her armor, which could protect against the claws of a Void Dragon, and quickly unclasped it. She threw it to the side along with the Standard, and stood shivering in a humble white tunic before her enemy. Rose allowed her sexual arousal to peak for a moment before the battle continued.

The pirate was much faster and stronger than Sharyn anticipated, and fought ferociously, a predatory grin on her face as she pushed the younger woman back. Rose had an advantage in height and experience, and her blade was much easier to handle, but Sharyn was hoping her skill as a swordswoman would be greater. Rose’s style didn’t seem to follow any of the rules Sharyn had been brought up with, and just as soon as the knight thought she had figured her opponent out, Rose would change strategy and surprise her in mid-slash. She cut open a fine gash on Sharyn’s leg just as the young woman was preparing for a colossal swing, and she stumbled back, grimacing.

“Just as I thought,” Rose sighed flatly as she bounced her cutlass. “You’re still just a kid. You follow rules and order without a single question, until the last shred of your humanity is gone and you’re nothing more than a robot. You really think your actions are justified, don’t you?”

“Be silent! Thou hast not won yet!” Sharyn continued pressing Rose and renewed her attack, but the older woman was far too cunning to lose to a braggart and an idealist. Fun was fun, but this was battle, and the victory would go to the one who had seen both good and evil, and could judge fairly. Rose lightly cut Sharyn on the side of her neck, making her stumble and clutch the wound fearfully. It was only a scratch—but it was also a warning.

“So what if your people need a miracle? They can make their own. I can’t stand people who whine and complain about their lives, but are so lazy they won’t even bother to change it. Those are the weakest people in the world, and they deserve their torment.”

“Thou shalt not insult them,” she growled, rising to stand on wobbly feet. “Thou hast no idea the kind of misery we hath seen!”

“So let them do something about it!” Rose screamed as she attacked Sharyn full force. She fell back and the pirate kicked her hard in the face, bending her nose and blackening an eye. She ran in for the kill but Sharyn wriggled and brandished her blade like a wild animal, barely fending off her attacker. She stood back and waited for her opponent to stand; Sharyn looked like a different person now, and their audience started to show concern.

“Of course I know what misery is,” Rose stated coolly. “Every woman aboard my ship has had her fair share of it. My own family was killed by marauders—real ones too, not the honest criminals we are. I lost brother and sister both; I can understand what people like you are going through. But I’m doing something about it, too. Patches and Natalie were brothel-girls before I took them in. Duchess was going to be sold to a slave-trader. Torch was trapped in the most godforsaken orphanage you could imagine. Henrietta had her leg ripped off in an accident without a soul to care for her. My heart is jealous for women like these; I can’t help but love them. Now Cirrus and her mother need my help too, and I’ll be damned if I’m going to allow some selfish little fucker get in my way! You fight or you die, Sharyn!”

Rose came after her like a force of nature, and Sharyn knew she couldn’t hold up much longer. She fought well all the same, but now a great doubt was creeping into her heart. If Rose was right, then if she took the Standard as her own, wouldn’t she be committing an evil? But forsaking it would be just as wrong, wouldn’t it? Her mind became clear as her sword crossed with Rose’s, and her arm seemed to move all on its own, raising her weapon until it opened a flow of scarlet. Blood spurted from Rose’s face as she dropped her sword and clutched her wound; Sharyn quickly kicked her enemy’s weapon away and held a blade to her neck. Rose slowly caught her breath, and in spite of the searing pain, she smiled.

“Heh…quite a beauty mark you gave me, kiddo. Looks like you won. Go ahead and do what you feel is right.” Her voice had dropped so rapidly into somber defeat that it struck a chord deep in Sharyn’s heart, and her doubt increased. She picked up the Standard and her armor, and slowly dressed

herself as her mind wandered. To keep it would save her people, but at the cost of an innocent woman’s mind, and possibly an entire kingdom. But to destroy it was to lose it forever, and any hope she had of reviving her beloved New Avalon. Sharyn stood poised on this great razor’s edge and realized she was now being forced to make a gruesome decision. She would bring grief to somebody no matter what the outcome—it all came down to a stranger’s life versus the civilization of her people. It would be the last decision she made before really becoming a woman.

With a piercing scream, she thrust the banner into a torch, and turned away from the blaze, tears pouring down her face.

“I hope I did the right thing,” she whispered, sobbing quietly. She looked up at her friends, who had witnessed everything silently, and trembled in fear and defeat. “Oh Lyara, prithee tell me I did the right thing.” She didn’t really expect an answer; she just wanted the older woman to hold her. Lyara was quite happy to do this at least.

“Um, Miss?” Sharyn turned her head and saw Princess Cirrus standing behind her, aglow with joy as her own eyes overflowed. “Uh…thank you. My family is…in your service. We can’t…uh, ever repay you…for what you did…”

“Mention it not,” Sharyn sighed, and she meant it. The young woman did not want to dwell on her decision any more. Rose approached her next, a bandage over her wound and a look of deep respect radiating from her face. She smiled at Sharyn, extended her hand, and the two shook as equals.

But just to be safe, she kissed her, too.

“Thieves! Thieves! Somebody has stolen our Standard! Catch them! Kill them!”

“Damn it!” Rose swore as she pulled away from her shocked adversary. “Right when I was gonna cop a feel, too! Hey Princess, wasn’t your mother supposed to be cured?”

“Well, I thought—“ The Queen suddenly burst outside, livid and frantic as a banshee, and yelled in agony as the last shreds of the Standard of Andvari were consumed by the torch and became smoke and ash. She fainted—Mink and Cirrus were at her side immediately—and ten guards rushed outside, looking for blood.

“What’s happened? What have you done to her Highness? Where’s the royal banner?”

“It’s gone to Hell, you pricks!!” Rose screamed. The guards suddenly relaxed and put their weapons away.

“Then we owe you our thanks. Long have we suspected that device had played a part in changing her Majesty’s spirit, but we could do nothing about it, lest her anger devour us as well. Through sheer love alone were we able to stay by her side.”

“Yada, yada, yada,” Rose snapped impatiently. “So everything’s fixed and happy for good, huh? Princess, I’d better scramble before—“

“No, you don’t understand!” the guards exclaimed fearfully. “The Queen’s new temperament brought many enemies to our doorstep, and the only thing keeping them from performing a coup was the very hellishness that brought them! Now that she’s back to her old self—we hope…“

“She will be,” Cirrus insisted as she cradled her mother’s head. The change to Alto’s face was as obvious as daylight: she looked younger and full of benevolence, and if her eyes had been open and her consciousness restored, she would’ve laughed and sang for merriment, as she once did.

“I think I know where this is going,” said Rose as she picked the unconscious woman up. “Princess, it looks like this is the end of your family. There’s no way you’ve got enough loyal followers like these guys to help you. I’m afraid that if you don’t move it, all our efforts’ll be for nothing.”

“But where should we go?” she wailed. Rose looked back at her and winked.

“Well, have you ever considered piracy?” The princess gasped in shock, but the look of honesty and love was so prevalent in Rose’s eyes that even the guards trusted their lieges to her care. One of them helped her carry the Queen and the others cleared a path for her—and since Sharyn had experienced the true heart of her rival first hand, she and her friends were right there with them, never leaving their side until everyone had safely boarded and the Bloody Dove was well on her way.

……

“I guess it goes to show that you can’t achieve happiness without sacrifice,” Alto Stratus remarked once she was told the full story. Needless to say, she was surprised by it all, especially when her daughter informed her they would both be proud members of the Dead Roses from now on, and their days as Queen and Princess were now only memories. But she took it fairly well, and after resting and having something to eat, she went right to work and became immensely popular onboard. Rose felt happy to have two wonderful women as fellow scallywags, and with a final thanks to the green-skinned goddess who had made all this possible, she set the course of the Bloody Dove in motion and sailed off into the deeps of space, ready for her next adventure.

The end of Volume Three: “The Dead Rose”

But get ready for Volume Four!

Preview of next chapter:

Naja: Aha! So no we finally go after the Nail of Saigrim!

Chandra: If it’s just you and Amy going, I think the rest of us should stay behind. We’ve been so busy that we haven’t even had time to rest!

Allegra: Aw, you just wanna put the moves on that poor Mink!

Chandra: Guilty as charged.

Naja: That Fuuka better not get in my way this time! Hey, Lil doesn’t like her either, does she? Maybe the two of us should get together sometime!

Chandra: Ooh, ooh! Me too, me too! Please let me join as well!

Naja: Sure, the more the merrier!!

Allegra: Ugh, maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to sign up on this mixed-up Olivia cruise…

Chandra: You mean you’re STRAIGHT?!

Naja: Horrors!

Allegra: Ahem! MOST of us kick off our shoes and sit a spell in the next chapter, “Reprieve: a time for peace, reflection…and romance!” Two outta three ain’t bad, I guess!

Chandra: But you would make such a great lesbian…

Naja: Not if Calamity Jane shoots you first!

Onwards to Part 24


Back to Voyage of the Dauntless Index - Back to Original Fiction Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction