Voyage of the Dauntless (part 2 of 69)

a Original Fiction fanfiction by Al Kristopher

Back to Part 1 Untitled Document

“The Miraculous Meetings, Part Two:  the invitation spreads across the universe!”

            The meaning of life is not a big mystery:  it is merely redemption.  When a person sins, they are wrought with guilt, and seek the means to absolve themselves; when a person is free from sin, there is no longer a reason to go on living.  There are some religions in our known universe that say a person will only be allowed to die once they have cleaned themselves from sin—that death, in its merciful wisdom, will not claim us until we have made penance for these crimes.  If this is true, a person’s life, the greatest gift they have, may be payment enough for their multitude of sins.  One must replace foul deeds with virtues, suffer through Purgatory, or else simply sell themselves in a final blaze.  There is no other purpose in life than to pay for one’s crimes.  Who else would want to go on living once they have atoned for everything?

            The question remains:  how must one do this?  Certainly not by perpetuating these crimes.  “Two wrongs don’t make a right”—“Hatred can never save anyone”—these are words of warning to anyone foolish enough to pay sins with more sins.  But what would be considered absolution?  Would simply “being good” count?  If you killed someone, would everything even out if you saved a life?  If you take something away, are you safe if you give something back?  Or do you just have to give your mind and soul to a god, and hope for the best?  Whatever powers run the universe have not made it easy for the sinners; there never seems to be anything that definitely points out how to achieve redemption.  Religion and philosophy give hundreds of solutions, and the sciences are just as vocal.  Are people just left to fend for themselves, then?

            The gunslinger certainly wrestled with these problems, because she had committed crimes in the past—like all of us—and like all of us, she wondered how to get out of them.  She felt as if there were a curse on her shoulders, forcing her to see the faces of the men she had killed, eternally hounding her nightmares until she found a solution.  She had killed so many—so she resolved to quit killing and work for “that greater good”.  But what was that?  Could she ever be free from her haunting past, especially since she had a bounty on her head, and if she didn’t kill, to protect herself in order to seek redemption—if she didn’t kill, she would die?  One can understand the problems going through her head, but when she was challenged, given an ultimatum nobody could refuse, she accepted and met her next victim outside.

Name:  Allegra van Landingham

Species:  Human (Homo sapien)

Origin:  Gaia/Earth (Helios 3)

Nickname:  The Gunslinger Girl

            “I’m a busy woman, Mr. Bounty Hunter,” she called out to him in her trademark southern drawl.  “I don’t have time to be pussyfootin’ around.  I didn’t even intend to stop for long, but I was bushed and I needed to rest my bones.  Y’all know who I am—ya wouldn’t’ve called me out here if ya didn’t—and y’all know what I do to people who think they can haul me in.  So leave me be and we’ll both end up livin’ through this here day.”

            He drew on her.  She shot his arm off clean at the elbow, and ignored his screaming.

            “Can’t say I didn’t warn y’all,” Allegra sighed.  “Now you lucky to be gettin’ off easy like that.  A polecat like you woulda been knockin’ on the pearly gates if you had met me a year or two ago.  But like I said, I got better things to do, so just mosey on out.  They got some fine replacement arms a few miles back yonder.  You’d best fit yourself with one.”

            But he had a second gun.  She shot him through the forehead and sighed darkly.

            “See what’cha made me do, ya ornery varmint?!  I gave you the chance to turn tail, and nobody’d call you yellow for it!  I declare, you must’ve been mighty stupid, or mighty desperate.  Either way, may the Lord God in Heaven have mercy on your soul.  I’ve got a ship to catch.”

            So far, that made twenty-four people she had killed—Allegra made sure to keep exact count.  She needed to count in order to know how many souls to pray for.  She wished it could all stop, so she could live in peace and be free from her curse—but a wish was just a wish.  The only path left for her now was to run, fast and far away, evading the people hunting her for vengeance—and Dr. Miracle’s advertisement had been her saving grace.  Finding it in that obscure little tavern way back when was an unexpected surprise, and apparently the answer to all her prayers.  There was no way Allegra’s enemies could pursue her if she was globetrotting across the galaxy (the pretense was meaningless), and hopefully, with time, she could make up for her bloody past.  Hopefully…

            But where could a lady like Allegra charter a transport to Strategos?  More than a few light years separated the Helios system from that galactic hub, and all of the major lines would no doubt be on the lookout for a “dangerous criminal” like her.  She wanted to hire an independent transport service, but with the Ozmund Company monopolizing all the talented and experienced pilots, anyone worth her time would be nearly impossible to find.  Allegra had spent the better part of a month going over every listing and calling every possibility.  None of the smaller business wanted anything to do with her—she was quite infamous on Helios 3—and those that didn’t mind were charging far too much.  The deadline to apply for a position on the Dauntless was approaching fast, and Allegra was nearly out of options.  She was about ready to give up, but apparently, the God she stubbornly had faith in seemed finally ready to make amends with her, and showed her—through a strange accident—the beacon of hope she had been looking for.

……

Bounty hunters were pursuing Allegra, as usual, but there were too many to fight off, or rather too many for her gentle nature.  She could kill them easily, of course, but she vowed never to kill unless there were no options left.  So she ran—but what a chase!  The streets, deserts, plains, and mountains of the world were crossed and traveled over during the lengthy and costly escape, and it was only at the very end, when she had shaken the last of her enemies, that Allegra realized she was lost.  She had gotten so mixed up in the chase that she no longer recognized her surroundings.  Serendipity was with her, though, because she ran into a private charter service run by twins, and from the advertisements they placed, their fare was reasonable and they were completely indiscriminate.  It really seemed too good to be true.

            “Probably an elaborate trap,” she sighed to herself, “but I gotta take this chance.  There ain’t nothin’ else to do.”  She pushed through the front door timidly, feeling slightly out of place in the small building.  There were already two customers there, a healthy-looking redhead with glasses and a tough-looking brunette with an artificial left leg.  Allegra became flush as she realized they had probably made flight reservations and she would have to share the transport with them.  The redhead turned around to see her come in; the muscular woman just crossed her arms impatiently.  Not a word was spoken.

            “We’re sorry to keep you waiting.  This way, please.”  The proprietors of the transport service emerged from a back door, smiling thinly at their two customers as the gestured outside.  They noticed Allegra and walked straight to the counter, and lady van Landingham tried hard not to stare.  She had never seen conjoined twins and had never even heard of a single body developing two heads before, except in reptiles.  Apparently the twins who ran this service were dicephalic, with the surgical scars to prove it, and that was all there was to it.

            “Can we help you?” they said in stereo.  Allegra didn’t want to be impolite, but she knew that if she looked at them, she would not be able to look away.

            “Um…yes—maybe—I hope so.  I beg your pardon.”

            “Don’t worry, we’re used to it.”

            “You’ve come to charter a flight, we presume?”

            “If you’re not heading for Strategos, you’d better go somewhere else.”

            “Oh—ah!  Uh, yes, that’s exactly where I’m going,” Allegra replied.  “What a co-inky-dink, huh?  Um…but why’d you say you were only going there?”

            “It’s our affair,” said the head on the left.

            “It’s a one-way trip,” blurted the head on the right.  “We have to leave the business behind.”

            “You don’t have to tell her everything!” shouted Left.

            “If she’s coming to Strategos, she may as well know,” Right stated.  Then, to Allegra, “If you’re coming aboard, you’d better do it quickly.  Normally, we don’t take people right off the street—“

            “We should go right now and leave her,” Left interjected.  “Wait—do you have money?”

            Allegra slapped a wad of Gold notes on their desk without hesitation.

            “This is all I have,” she stated.  “Will it get me there?”  The twins took the wad and counted it clumsily, one wanting to number every bill while the other wanted to flip through them quickly.  They handed Allegra three notes back—an honest move by honest women, who were both eager to leave the Earth behind.

            “Follow us.  You’re in luck.  Should we introduce ourselves?”

            “But it’s such a pain,” sighed Left.  “She’ll never be able to tell, even though we don’t look alike at all.

Name:  Kayleigh (Left) and Teleah (Right) Acheron

Species:  Human (Homo sapien)

Origin:  Gaia/Earth (Helios 3)

Hair colors:  Black for Kayleigh, blue for Teleah

            Not only did Kayleigh and Teleah own the ship and the business, they flew it as well, and were better than most of the pilots working for the Ozmund Company (Allegra learned that they were informally addressed as Kay and Tee, but never “KT”, as if there was one person there and not two).  When one considered there were actually two minds behind the controls, both of them usually cooperating, it made sense that they were well above average in skill.  But oh, the problems they must’ve faced when they were growing up!  Allegra knew she wasn’t the only one who suffered in the world, but she had never been able to put a face on “those other people” until now.  But it was too early to tell if she would like Kay and Tee or not.

            Because the Ozmund Company ran about ninety percent of all galactic public transport services, it really wasn’t a shock to discover there were only two other passengers on board.  They both kept to themselves, one plainly shy and the other a lone wolf who looked more comfortable with machines than people.  Allegra didn’t know how wise it would be to interact with these two women, but she at least wanted to know if they all shared the same goal.

            “Uh, pardon me for askin’, but why are y’all headed to Strategos?  I’m going to sign up with that Dr. Miracle’s crew.  I figured I could lend them a hand.”

            “That’s just what was going through my head as well,” said the redhead with a smile.  She was a beautiful woman who smiled often, but never superfluously, unless in a relaxed environment.  Her eyes were like the sky of a desert, so clear that you felt like you could see the stars, but she wore glasses and wasn’t too shy about admitting her poor sight.  Her hair was braided to prevent it from flying everywhere, and her freckled cheeks glowed with the freshness of an invigorating breeze.  You felt like being on your best behavior when she was around, but you could also feel relaxed and at ease.  She sat up straight and folded her hands like a professional, and smiled at Allegra even though she had probably seen Wanted posters with her picture on them.

Name:  Riene Latoli

Species:  Human (Homo sapien)

Origin:  Gaia/Earth (Helios 3)

Secret fear:  Drowning

            “I’ve studied diplomacy, the languages, and philology almost all my life.  I had it in my mind that if Dr. Miracle were to circumnavigate our galaxy, he would need someone to interpret the myriad of languages we’ll no doubt run into.  I’m also not too awful with a gun, but I see I’m nowhere near as talented as you.”

            “What, this?”  Allegra carried an ancient Whitworth rifle on her shoulder, modified and restored to suit the modern age.  “Aw, this ain’t nothin’.  I don’t like using it unless I don’t have any other choice.  I’m afraid that if Dr. Miracle won’t take me while I’m peddlin’ that kinda attitude, I’ll be a useless lil’ ol’ biddy.”

            “I’m sure he’ll find plenty of uses for you,” Riene replied.  She looked over at the third passenger and smiled cordially.  “What about you?  Can Allegra and I expect to work alongside you?”  The other woman shrugged coldly.

            “Sure, I guess, but I doubt it.  You think he’ll run into a lot of robots?”

            “Maybe.  Is that your specialty?”  The woman sniffed.

            “Leave me alone.”

Name:  Eve Kasberry

Species:  Human (Homo sapien)

Origin:  Gaia/Earth (Helios 3)

Number of artificial body parts:  Two and a half—left eye, left leg, and half of right leg.

            “Don’t push her, honey,” Allegra said to Riene.  “If she don’t want us botherin’ her, we should let her be.  Not all of us can be comfortable around other human beings.”

            “Are you speaking from experience?” Eve grumbled.  Allegra nodded.

            “Let’s just say that this is almost a culture shock for me.  I reckon it’ll only get bigger later on, sug.”

            “Don’t call me that,” she grunted.  Allegra backed down with a smile.

            “I understand.  Mind if Riene and I chatter for awhile?”

            “Actually, I think I’ll take a nap,” said Miss Latoli, rising from her seat.  “It’ll be a long voyage to Strategos, and I haven’t slept since yesterday morning.  I was a little excited.”  Allegra waved farewell at her, and was stuck with Eve, who contented herself with a sheet of paper and a pen.  It was true that the rough brunette was unaccustomed to being around humans (and living beings in general), so her attitude was quite excusable.  Allegra enjoyed the silence and was glad that Eve didn’t pay much attention to her.  It felt like she would be good company, just so long as one didn’t upset the fragile balance.  She laid down and covered her eyes with her hat, requesting that, “should I start snorin’, just gimme a lil’ nudge in the ribs, kay’?”  To this Eve nodded, and resumed her work.

……

            The choice to leave the Earth behind and make a new living working for Dr. Miracle was not a decision the Acheron twins made lightly.  They had grown up poor and lonely:  their condition and the surgeries they underwent to correct all of God’s errors had guaranteed a life of hardship, but they were also blessed with an unnatural knack for invention and imagination, and being inseparable, were never short of company (though it was taxing to share a life with someone all the time).  Two heads sharing the same body had been a strain and a challenge to overcome, but with the advent of their small business, the Acheron twins had finally found their niche in life—for a time, leastways.

            But then came the Ozmund Company.  In just thirty years, it had become the largest public space transport service in the galaxy, thanks in no small part to the owners’ uncanny ability to woo the greatest pilots in every region.  Their motto was “Guiding Truth and Wisdom Everywhere”, and the Acheron sisters had to fight tooth and nail just to survive against them.  They were usually forced to shuttle some of the most infamous, unlawful, and disagreeable rogues and outlaws in order to receive any business, but eventually this venue dried up as well, thanks to the United Cosmic Military’s crackdown.  Kay and Tee had been in trouble for months when they first read Dr. Miracle’s flier, and seeing that this was their last hope, they proposed a “going out of business final flight” to Strategos, inviting all those who wished to join them.  The Ozmund Company was so large and powerful by then that the sisters only received three passengers after waiting two months.

            Riene Latoli was hardly the infamous or disagreeable type, and the Acheron sisters wondered why somebody of her caliber would ever buck the big companies (they weren’t complaining, just curious).  The truth wasn’t very arresting:  Riene was just the kind of person who believed in and supported small businesses.  Eve and Allegra, however, had apparently been given no choice and jumped aboard at the first chance.  There were bounty hunters out for lady van Landingham and UCM officials seeking Eve:  she had actually enlisted for a time, only to quit half a year later.  Her skills with robotics were sought by some of the most powerful organizations in the entire galaxy—she was really that good—and since she preferred her freedom and felt she had done enough community service, Eve chose to live on the lam, taking her supplies and a single Executioner-class battle android with her.

            During Riene’s nap, the Acherons’ ship sailed out of the Helios system, through the Kuiper Belt, and into the region still commonly known as “wild space” (a title that stuck from the very early days of space exploration).  It was only a matter of avoiding the main hyperdrive lanes, where UCM Dreadnoughts and Ozmund Company shuttles trafficked, and “making it to the destination before anyone else”, as Kay and Tee swore in their ads.  And indeed, they were already blasting through Alpha Centauri, which was a testament to the abilities of the Acheron sisters.  Riene stirred from her nap and joined the others during this time, still yawning and rubbing her eyes.  Allegra was cleaning her rifle and Eve was still making notes on her pad—there was silence aboard the ship.

            “Where are we?” she asked.  Nobody else knew, so she asked the twins.  The Alpha Centauri system was not far from Strategos, but there were still a few hours to go, and not much to see or do in the meantime.  Riene decided that she would get to know her future coworkers better, and made her way to the main seating room, but was thrown off her feet by a sudden jerk.  A quick, white-hot flash erupted outside, and the ship shivered in fear.  Riene climbed up and quickly hopped in her chair, knowing she would be safer once she was strapped in.

            “Now what in tarnation is a-goin’ on out there?” Allegra demanded.  Kay and Tee’s voices came over the PA system to answer that:

            “We apologize for the sudden turbulence, but it appears an unidentified craft is bent on attacking us.  We have never seen its type before—we had to make evasive maneuvers to avoid being shot.  We have no defensive firepower and must rely on speed and agility to outmaneuver them.”

            “Oh, shit, they found me,” Eve said.

            “Doggone it, did they catch up already?” Allegra wailed.  The two women stared at each other.

            “They’re after you?  They’re after me!”

            “The UCM has a price on my head!” Eve stated.

            “The Earth’s got one on my head!” Allegra shouted.  Riene groaned.

            “I’ll never go to a small business again.”  The ship rolled and swerved away, nauseating the womanly trio even though they were as secure as they could possibly get.  Several blasts erupted, probably warning shots since they were so inaccurate, but Kay and Tee felt their pursuers would improve sharply if they didn’t act fast.

            “I hope everyone is buckled in,” Kay said.

            “This is going to get really rough!” Tee shouted.  And it did—what a roller coaster ride!  Allegra was a little more accustomed to the bucking and pitching since she had ridden wild bulls before, back in the days when her skills were used to entertain people.  Poor Riene looked like she was ready to pass out, and Eve swore enough to put a Tourette’s sufferer to shame.

            “Who the hell are these people?” she finally wondered.  “Hey, Siamese jackasses, is that the UCM out there or some other asshole?”

            “More than likely the second choice,” Kay mused.

            “We told you we couldn’t identify them,” Tee pointed.

            “But who the hell would wanna fry our asses like that?  It’s gotta be your fault,” she glared at Allegra.

“I am appalled that you could even consider such blasphemy!  I have never committed any atrocity that would warrant an attack of this magnitude!  What about you, sug?”

“Don’t look at me!” she snorted.  “I’m no good to anybody if I’m dead, and these people are out for blood!  That only leaves…”  They both turned their heads angrily, but Riene frantically denied anything.

“Nobody’s after me!  I haven’t done anything wrong.”  The ship rocked again—Eve cursed even louder than before—and alarms went off, indicating the good fortune of the Acheron sisters was beginning to wear off.  At that point, it really didn’t matter who was chasing them or why they were so aggressive:  retreat was the only option.

……

            The Sindar Dreadnought Einlanzer Eight was closing rapidly on the small transport shuttle.  Even though they were both exceeding the speed of light—appearing to an observer as invisible strands, occasionally creating “ripples” as they moved through space—the shuttle was the fastest of the two, though the difference was marginal.  Even though it was slower, the Dreadnought had excellent weapons and defenses, whereas the shuttle only had its engine and its maneuverability, and either one brilliant pilot or else two skilled captains who worked perfectly in synch.  Either way, the shuttle was a worthy challenge for the Einlanzer Eight and her crew.

            The Captain had no personal interest in the shuttle, and in fact, if she had not been ferrying that bounty hunter she owed a small debt to, she would’ve ignored it and gone straight to Strategos.  But that woman insisted the Captain give chase, and even offered a small sum for her troubles.  Money was meaningless to the Captain—she was rich enough to buy an entire planet and live there with a world full of servants—but she was driven by a nagging obligation and went ahead with the chase.  What a coincidence, though, that this shuttle was headed towards their destination!

            “Maybe we’ll meet them there,” suggested her second-in-command.

            “Do you think their reason for traveling is the same as ours?”  Number Two just shrugged.  “You know, Miss bounty hunter, that pilot is probably unaware of the infamy of the passengers.  I have no doubt that they believe this is just another job for them.  We should not commit ourselves to any further acts of belligerence.”

            “Allegra van Landingham and Eve Kasberry are on that ship,” said the bounty hunter—“I guarantee it.  And those pilots—there are two of them, I believe—they know full well who their passengers are.  The Acheron sisters have a reputation on Helios Three for ferrying anybody with enough cash.”

            “You know,” Number Two said, “if they’re really going to sign up with this Miracle guy, that means you’ll have to work with them.”

            “That’s why we’re going to catch up to them before they can get to Strategos,” she grinned malevolently.  “If I can hand them in before they reach their destination, I won’t have to sit on my rump the whole trip and deal with them.”

            “That’s cold,” Number Two laughed.

Name:  Rebecca Hill

Species:  Human (Homo sapien)

Origin:  Marlin Colony of New London (Alpha Centauri 2)

Occupation:  Adventurer/weapons modifier

            “Justice thinks with her head, not with her heart,” Rebecca countered.  “Captain, I think they can survive another ‘warning shot’.  That looks like a tough little shuttle.”

            “Why must you be so cruel?  What wrongs have these people committed?”

            “Landingham is a murderer, and Kasberry went AWOL.  It’s people like that who give others a bad name.”

            “You forget that I have killed people as well,” the Captain whispered.  Rebecca shook her head.

            “No, no—that was in war; that was self-defense.  You were in your rights.  There’s killing and then there’s murder, Captain.”

            “But still, a life is still a life.”

            “Look,” she stressed, “we’re not going to blow up the shuttle, okay?  I don’t like Landingham or Kasberry, but I won’t kill them.  I really can’t.  Besides, my sources indicate there’s at least one innocent civilian onboard.  If we destroyed that shuttle, we really would be murderers.  Would you please fire another warning shot?”

            “She’s hesitating,” Number Two stated, drawing in a deep breath.  “Stop badgering her, okay?  She’s doing everything she can…although IMO, she may just want to see these people in person and ‘judge for herself’.  Isn’t that right, dear?”

Name:  Lillianne Markus (alias; real name unknown)

Species:  Mun (Mun-Homo sapien)

Origin:  Mu (System unknown)

Eyes:  Gold

            “That does seem to be a wise course of action.  Thank you.”

            “My pleasure.”  She cuddled next to the Captain and drew her into her arms, but the older woman slipped away, blushing.

            “Don’t.  I’m on duty, and we have company.”

            “She won’t mind,” said Lillianne, indicating Rebecca (who actually did mind).  The Captain drew a sharp breath and shook her head.

            “But I would.”

Name:  Aseria Tolan

Species:  Sindar (Valarus sindarin)

Origin:  Alfheim (Valar 5)

Skin color:  Grayish-black

            Since Aseria wanted to meet the outlaws before attempting to capture them, the Einlanzer Eight kept tailing them for hours on end.  Aseria had to admit that even with modern Sindarin technology at her disposal and one of the finest Dreadnoughts in the fleet under her command, it was difficult keeping track of the tiny shuttle.  She had to give credit to those pilots:  they probably could’ve taught birds a thing or two about flying.  They were certainly better than her, although to be fair, flying any sort of spacecraft was not Aseria’s strong point.  She made sure to stop firing, which must’ve been a relief to the shuttle’s passengers, but she didn’t just let them fly to Strategos undaunted:  she wanted them to work for it.

            All this time, Rebecca was clenching her fists and preaching about justice.  She understood why Aseria stopped firing, but why on New London would she just follow them all the way to Strategos?  What was the point of “meeting” them in person, especially since, if they failed, they would have ample time for introductions?  They were just two different species separated by distance and culture and general understanding, only brought together because Rebecca did some small service for the Sindar people awhile back, and Aseria felt obligated to return the favor.

            Lillianne—“Lil” for short—watched impassively from her chair.  She had no interest in Rebecca’s vendetta or even jumping around the galaxy searching for treasure.  She only lived for Aseria:  every waking hour and every lonely night was filled with obsession.  Lil wasn’t sure if she honestly loved the Sindar woman or if she was just entranced by some oblique part of her personality, but she certainly desired the other woman and was so possessive that she didn’t even allow other people to touch her, not if she could help it.  To her, this chase was merely a whimsy, Aseria’s way of humoring someone she could just as easily abandon.  Aseria was the one who convinced Lil to come with her, and since she couldn’t bear to be apart from the other woman—a crimson thread bound them together—she tagged along, acting as friend and advisor.

            Eventually, the two ships reached the Strategos system and the planet that drew them together.  Aseria allowed the shuttle to land first, to Rebecca’s chagrin, and followed suit five minutes later.  Being on the higher rungs of Sindarin society enabled Aseria to go virtually anywhere she wanted to, even restricted planets or those that despised outsiders.  Because she was Sindarin, few species dared to encourage her wrath and fewer still lived to relate their hellish experiences.  Strategos was far from exclusive, of course, and the Einlanzer Eight was given one of the best spaces.  She was even assured by flight control that she could stay as long as she wished without any charge, and for this, the entire crew was grateful.

            “Please return to Alfheim,” Aseria instructed them.  “Lillianne and I will contact you when we are ready to return home.  Miss Hill, if you would please.”

            “It’s about time,” she grunted impatiently.  Now nobody must get the wrong impression about Rebecca:  she was honestly a very loving and compassionate person, but she felt so strongly about her beliefs that sometimes, they clouded her judgment and made her do very rash things.  Her eagerness to do the right thing and have the right thing done to others had caused her plenty of trouble in the past, but she always chose to follow her heart and rarely had any regrets.

            “There’s the shuttle,” she said, indicating the smaller ship.  She first noticed a very pretty redhead coming out, and glanced away.  Rebecca had a secret soft spot for other ladies, but could never summon the courage to admit it, and this one in particular was very attractive.  Two others came out, one lovelier than the other, but to these her ire flared, and she pulled out her guns.

            “Seems like the hothead found her playmates,” Lil sighed.  “Aseria dear, I don’t feel like wasting my time chasing after them.  Let’s just go and meet up with this Miracle guy.”

            “We still have time,” she assured her, following Rebecca’s lead.  Lil moaned but tailed her anyway, since she had sworn nothing would ever separate or come between them.  As the pilot emerged from the shuttle, her “unique” appearance startling the others, Rebecca shouted out to them and raised her weapons.

            “Allegra van Landingham and Eve Kasberry, stop in the name of justice!”

            “What in tarnation?” Allegra blurted.  Eve snarled.

            “I guess these are the people who were after us.  Shit, there’s only three of them!  What the hell was I so pissed about?”  She drew a sniper’s rifle and Allegra whipped out her Whitman, surprising the bounty hunter.  Beads of sweat trickled down her face as she realized she had bitten off more than she could chew.

            “Uh…r-regardless of the odds, I won’t surrender!  Submit quietly and no harm will come to you!”

            “Darlin’, you’re barkin’ up the wrong tree,” Allegra replied.  “I can tell you got talent, but don’t you think you’re a little in over your head?  And what about them two over yonder?”

            “We just wanted to see what all the fuss was about,” Aseria replied sweetly.  Allegra’s face shined, but Eve rolled her eyes.

            “Oh, god, who is this bitch?  Hey, Riene, are you gonna help us or what?”

            “I’m an academic, not a fighter!” she insisted.  The redhead bravely stepped between the two parties, eager to flex her diplomatic muscles.  “Now calm down, all of you.  There must be a misunderstanding, and I’m sure if we could just talk it over like civilized adults, we could reach an agreement.  Now let’s make introductions first.”

            Allegra, Aseria, Eve, Lillianne, Rebecca, Riene, and the Acheron sisters identified themselves mechanically, but before Riene could continue the resolution, Aseria tackled her and flung a duel scythe into the air.  A man-shaped creature had nearly cut her down, but thanks to the Sindar’s quick thinking, the enemy was destroyed—or rather, vaporized.  A black steam blew into the air as the scythe cut through the body; Riene’s face blushed as she felt Aseria’s soft breasts accidentally rubbing against her chin.

            “Um, thank you,” she whispered.  Lil plucked up her companion and gave Riene a kick in the ribs.

            “Don’t touch her!!  Don’t even apologize, you sicko!”

            “Lil, I was saving her life!  Why do you always have to overreact like that?  Please forgive her,” she said as she helped Riene to her feet.  “Lil is my dearest friend and I’m afraid she’s a little possessive.”

            “I…I see.”  Still flushed and bruised, Riene backed away and rejoined the others.  Suddenly, Allegra and Eve brought out their weapons again, and the other side armed themselves as well, though it didn’t look like they were going to fight each other.

            “More of them,” Eve growled, counting thirty on her side.

            “Here too,” Lil said, counting the same number on her end.

            “What the heck are they?” Rebecca said.

“Who knows,” Allegra shouted, “but if these polecats ain’t nothin’ but fog, then I don’t have to worry bout’ holdin’ back!  Yee-haw!”  Bursts were fired and gusts of fog blew in the air as women and creatures duked it out on the streets of Strategos.  Rebecca decided to cover Riene, since 1:  She looked the most defenseless, 2:  She respected her, 3:  She already had a small crush on her, and 4:  She was the only one present Rebecca didn’t have a vendetta against.  The first reason was not necessarily true since Riene had modest skills with a firearm, and even plugged a few of the Fog Ninjas as they stormed in.  With the odds being sixty to seven, they would need as much strength and skill as they could muster if they hoped to have the honor of Dauntless to their names…

To be continued…

Preview

Lil:  Fog Ninjas?!  Pssh—no problem!  I can take these guys easily!

Aseria:  Perhaps, but can you wait through yet ANOTHER chapter where we are not the main characters?

Lil:  You mean…

Rebecca:  That’s right, everyone!  The conclusion to the three-part opening chapter is coming up next, and we’re nowhere in sight!

Eve:  Except for the end.  What a gyp!

Kay:  There’s nothing we can do about it.

Tee:  All the characters have to be introduced fairly.

Kay:  At least we got SOME screen time.

Tee:  And a free T-shirt...not that we can really use it!

Eve:  I heard we finally get to meet this Dr. Miracle guy.  I might just punch him in the face for all the trouble he’s caused us!

Riene:  Please be with us next time when the rest of the cast is introduced!  Hopefully, the rest of us will make it out of this jam.

Rebecca:  Mmm, jam…  Better yet, jam on Riene!

Riene:  Oh my…

Eve:  Get a room, you two!

Allegra:  It’s part three of “The Miraculous Meetings:  the crew of the Dauntless is complete!”  Y’all come back now, y’hear?

Onwards to Part 3


Back to Voyage of the Dauntless Index - Back to Original Fiction Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction