6th Division: Reminisce (part 7 of 8)

a Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha fanfiction by Satashi

Back to Part 6 Untitled Document

My eyes went wide when the palace in front of the Asura blasted apart, sending a shock wave at us that cut off the monitors. “Fate?” I asked softly, scared to death at the sudden turn of events. “Fate!?” I didn't quite understand what had just happened. One moment she was there, right there, in front of me. The next I heard her say she loved me and then... Then I was here, alone. “Faaate!” My knees gave out and I fell to the floor. 'This isn't right...' My mind thought. 'Fate can't die... She's not allowed to die! I won't let her DIE!' I heard people scattering all around me and Chrono start barking out orders but none of it made sense to me. I could no longer feel Fate anymore, it was as if a part of my soul just got ripped violently through my chest. I could feel my throat tighten up and I knew I was crying but I felt so detached from my body I didn't even care right now. If Fate was gone... Then... Why am I still here? It's not right, she should be alive...Without Fate I don't want to go on, not without her. The room became unfocused suddenly and I fell over, still seeing but not really understanding anything anymore. Fate was gone...The thought kept repeating inside of my head as they fussed over me. I didn't want to deal with them right now, so I didn't even try to refocus on anything. I was too sad, too confused, too... alone.

6th Mobile Division VII

By: Satashi

“Is she okay?” Hayate screamed out as Yuuno caught the girl when she passed out. “Get the medical staff over here!”

“Scan the area!” Chrono yelled out his orders to the people looking at him. “I want every inch of space combed! Bring my Scaglietti's body and Fate!”

“But sir!”

“Don't 'but sir' me!” He retorted at them, infuriated. “Find my sister, you hear me!?” Ignoring the stammered confirmation he turned back over towards the group of people. “Nanoha...” His eyes went to the side where Arf was hugging onto his mother tightly, eyes closed and crying. “Arf, are you okay?”

The girl shook her head. “I'm no longer receiving any energy from Fate...only Nanoha...”

Chrono punched the floor, leaving a small dent in the ground. “No... she's alive...she has to be...”

Lindy finally collapsed to her knees. “My little girl... My Fate...”

Hayate held onto Nanoha while Yuuno held onto both of them. “She'll be okay,” Yuuno encouraged her as much as himself. “Nanoha's strong, she was running just earlier, she's just in shock, she'll be okay.” Looking up, he yelled out. “Where's that medical team!?”


“How is she?” Vita asked immediately when Shamal walked out of the operating room. “Nanoha, is she okay!?”

The doctor closed her eyes and sat down in one of the chairs next to Signum and Hayate. “She's okay,” She confirmed right off to ease their worries. “Her Linker Core is barren, she won't be able to cast magic for almost a month. The Jewel Seed on her body exhausted most of it's energy keeping Nanoha alive after she was attacked... Her back will scar in several places but other than that she's okay.”

“Can we see her?” Vita spoke again for the group.

“No,” Shamal shook her head. “She's getting a blood IV, I don't want anyone in the room while she's not stable.” The blond turned to Signum. “Any word from Fate?”

“...No.” She looked down at the floor. “We cannot trace her or Bardiche. The explosion made the dimensional tear collapse after a while. Anything in it is gone now, including Scaglietti's body.”

Hearing the facts again made Hayate burst into a fresh set of tears. “I sent them,” She sobbed out loudly. “I sent them to die!” Her words steady got louder but Yuuno gripped her and pulled the close friend into a tight hug.

“Shush,” He told her firmly. “You did the right thing at the time! Both of them knew the risk!” He swallowed back his own tears and forced himself not to cry right now. “Hayate, no one blames you. You saved countless lives by choosing this method and they agreed. I've known Fate longer than you, and I know she wouldn't want you to behave like this, so pull yourself together.”

“Y-yes...” She wiped her eyes but still had a steady stream of tears coming from them. “I-I'm going to see Chrono again... Get an update...”

“You do that.” Yuuno let her go and watched her leave. “I'm going to walk,” With just those words he left the group but was followed by a worried Subaru. Rounding a corner he stopped and put arm heavily against the wall and resting his forehead against it. The blue haired girl was about to say something to him but the male suddenly slammed his fist against the material. A few seconds later he repeated the motion again and again, voice finally breaking out as he collapsed into tears. Slowly Subaru sank back and returned to the group of people waiting outside of the intensive care room and noticed that Shamal was gone once again as well. Tia gave her an inquisitive glance but only received a small shaking of her head.


Nanoha opened her eyes slowly, blankly looking up at the ceiling. A steady beeping sound came to her eyes, making her slowly look to the side to see several machines with multiple wires running to her body. “Fa...te...?” She looked the other direction to see if her fiancée was over there. “Where's...Fate...?” She whispered, voice pained. Moments later the door opened and Shamal stepped through it. The blond fussed about at her desk for a few moments before tossing her papers down and walked over towards her. “Fate...?”

Shamal stood still for several seconds before rushing over towards the girl. “Nanoha? Nanoha!? Are you okay? Do you hurt anywhere!?”

“Fate?”

Shamal shook her head. “Nanoha, answer me, do you hurt anywhere?” She gripped her hands and rubbed it. “We were so worried, you've been unconscious for three days!”

“Where's Fate...?”

“Nanoha?” Shamal lost all of her excitement. Her friend's head rolled over to look at her, blank eyes not focusing. “Nanoha... Fate's...” She tried to figure out a way to say it. “...Not here anymore.”

“Fate,” Nanoha's eyes started to water. “My Fate...is alive.”

“Nanoha...”

“She'll come to me... She will.” Her voice was still mono toned, eyes glazed. “My Fate...”

The doctor licked her lips as she stood. Her right hand reached for a small pen light and leaned over her friend to open her eyes more and shine the light into them. At once her eyes dilated but she showed no sign of discomfort from it. “Oh no... No, Nanoha, no...” Carefully leaning over, she embraced the girl. “Snap out of it Nanoha...Don't be like this...”


Slowly the blond sat up in bed, eyes unfocused and hazy. “Ow...” She complained, rubbing her head ruefully. “What... What happened?” Looking around, she noticed she was in a hospital room. “Where...am I?” At that point the door across from her opened and revealed a rather shocked looking nurse. “Hello,” She greeted. “...Where am I?”

“You're awake!” She stated the obvious. “My girl, you have been in a coma for almost five days!”

“I... I have...?”

“Yes, we were so worried! You were found on the street nearby with your weapon. We tried to get your information but it was completely drained of energy and we thought you weren't going to make it at first! Can you answer a few questions for me?”

“I...I think so?” She rubbed her red eyes, trying to gather the facts.

“Okay, just try and relax. We'll start out with something easy okay? What is your name?”

“My... name?” She felt her head hurt at the simple question and she quickly yelped out, gripping it with both hands. “My name... I...I don't know...” Turning, she looked at the nurse full of fear. “Why... Why don't I know my name?”

“Oh my...” She looked worried. “Can you tell me anything? What happened to you?”

“I... I don't know...” The blond held her head tighter. “I can't... nothing... I don't... it's blank...Where am I? Who am I? What am I doing here?”

“Calm down, there!” The woman put her hands on the shaking girl's shoulders. “You just hit your head, lets take this one step at a time. Relax. There you go...take a breath... Good.” She slowly released the girl and started scribbling onto her notepad. “I'm sorry, please work with me as best you can okay?” She got a small nod. “Do you hurt anywhere?” The red eyed girl pointed to her head. “Anywhere besides there? Sharp pains, aching muscles, sore spots?”

“No, just my head. I feel drained.”

“Your linker core is dangerously low. You should rest for now, I'll get a doctor to come speak with you shortly okay?” She wrote a few more things down. “I'll be right back, make yourself comfortable.”


“Okay...”

“Is she going to be okay?” Subaru asked softly as they watched Nanoha walk into her loft apartment and look around. “She seems... spaced out. More than usual, I mean...”

“She is in a state of advanced shock,” Shamal told the group while Nanoha picked up a random object and inspected it with blank eyes. “It's not uncommon after experiencing a life changing situation... Having Fate sacrifice herself to get Nanoha to safety really messed her up.”

“Is there nothing you can do?” Vita demanded, pointing to the girl who was aimlessly walking around. “We can't leave her like this!”

“She needs time,” Shamal looked away. “Right now she has lost her desire to live... We all need to be there for her, to get her ready to face the world again. That's why for now on we're going to watch after her in sections. I don't want her alone at any moment. I don't think she would try to hurt herself purposely but the way she's acting I don't think she will take proper care of herself either.”

“How long do you think she'll be like this?” Caro asked softly.

“A few days probably. Yuuno, I want you to stay with her first since you was the first of us to meet her.”

“But-!” Vita had a hand placed on her head before she could protest anymore.

“Vita, trust Shamal for now, okay?” Signum ruffled her hair slightly to try and calm the girl.

“Well then,” Yuuno nodded to them and walked into the room. “Nanoha,” His words made her turn and look at him, a small smile on her face.

“Yuuno-kun,” She greeted him as she walked towards the boy. “What brings you here?”

“Well, I'm going to stay with you a bit if that's okay?”

“Mm. I don't mind,” Another smile. “I'll cook you dinner while we wait for Fate to come back okay?”

“Nanoha...” He saw her turn and walk from him. “Fate's...”

“Hm?” She looked over her shoulder, still smiling.

“You have to accept it, Nanoha...”

“She's not dead!” Nanoha turned around quickly, a slight steam of tears from her eyes. “Don't say it! Don't you dare say it!”

“Nanoha, whoa, calm down!”

“I don't want to calm down!” She stormed over to him but collapsed half way.

“Nanoha? Nanoha!?” Scooping her up, her quickly carried her to the bed and laid her down. “Hold on I'll call Shamal back...” His voice trailed when she stirred. “Nanoha?”

“Yuuno-kun,” She greeted, smiling again. “...I'm in bed?”

“...Yeah. You said you wanted to rest so I carried you.”

“Oh, thank you.” She closed her eyes and laid back. “I am a little tired.”

Yuuno took her hand and rubbed the top of it, getting a confused but happy look from her. “Nanoha?”

“Yes?”

“I know it is hard waiting,” He chose his words carefully, lest she snap again. “But we're here for you. If you ever want to talk or anything, just ask me okay? I'll be there for you, just as you was for me all those years.”

“I'm okay,” She protested good naturedly, another false smile that ripped into Yuuno's heart. “I'm just waiting for Fate to come back. You'll see.”

“...Mm.” He kissed her hand. “Okay. Time will tell. Take it one day at a time, right?”

She smiled yet again. “That's right. She'll come back to me, my Fate.”


“Hello,” The doctor greeted the blond girl as he stepped into her room. “How are you today?”

“Good,” She replied easily. “I can go out today?”

“You sure can,” He checked over her charts. “Your device is almost repaired and charged,” He added in. “You can walk around the hospital and enjoy the park we have but please do not leave the premises until we can be sure you are okay, all right?”

“Yes sir.” She slid her feet out from the bed and placed them onto the cold floor, gently standing.

“Would you prefer a wheelchair?”

“I'll be okay,” Despite her words she stumbled and had to grab a hold of the bed to keep from falling over. “Well, I will be shortly. You said I was in a barrier Jacket?” She got a nod. “So does that mean I had clothes under it?”

“You did, they are in the closet.” He pointed with his pen towards a small sliding door room across from the bed. “Enjoy yourself today but don't overexert your body, you're still healing.”

“I won't.” She bowed lightly as he left and opened the closet to take out the clothes. Placing them on the bed, she observed them a while to see if it would stir up any memories. A black bra and panties with purple roses on them for her under clothes, topped with a black uniform decorated on the left breast with various medals and symbols of rank. “I was military,” She stated the already known fact. “An...Enforcer...” Slowly getting dressed, she let her mind wander. “I seem to like black.” Her hands went on auto pilot, guided by muscle memory. Before long she stood in front of a mirror to inspect herself. “Not half bad,” Her mind mused. “It's a little stiff but not bad...”

Walking out into the hallway, she took a small moment to look around. The area around her was unfamiliar and dreadfully repetitive. She took a note of the room she was in and noticed the name title was blank. 'Well,' She mused as she began to walk. 'I'm stuck somewhere I don't know, I don't remember my name or what military base I'm from, and apparently I'm Missing in Action...Wait a minute,' Her hands patted around on her uniform. ' I should have some type of identification or something...' Her searching came up with a few random items, which she observed after sitting at a table on the bottom floor of the building that also seemed to double as a type of cafeteria for the patients. 'Let's see here...A pack of breath mints; at least I seem to be curious of other people so that's a good thing.' She put one of the mints into her mouth and set the rest aside. 'Hm, not bad. Okay, what else... A car key, too bad I don't even know what my car looks like...' She set it aside and turned to the rest. 'A key chain with some funny looking emblem on it... Oh wait, they said I had a device, this must be it's embedded home so I don't lose it.' Nodding, she slid it to the side and turned to look at what was still on that side. 'And what we have left, a little piece of clear pressed plastic with a small lock of hair in it? What the hell, why do I have a lock of brown hair?' With a sigh she slid the contents back into her pocket. ' My device should have some information stored in it... I guess I don't have any choice but to wait until it's fixed and returned to me.'


“Hayate?” Yuuno knocked on the door to her office a third time before pushing on it slightly and watching it hiss open at his call. “Still working?” Looking at her desk across the room he let out a sigh. “I say, Hayate...” Walking over to her he looked down at the girl sleep uneasily on her desk. “You shouldn't work yourself like this.” He shook her softly. “Come on, wake up.”

“Hmm... Wha?” The girl slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes. “Huh? Yuuno?” She tried to become more awake. “Did I fall asleep?”

“Yes,” He crossed his arms. “Look, I know you're worried but you killing yourself like this won't solve anything. Go home. Get some rest.”

“I can't,” She shook her head. “Every time I try and relax I see Fate and Nanoha's expressionless eyes...”

“Hayate...” Reaching out he took her hand and lead her over to the couch in the middle of the room. “It's not your fault. Really. I told you before, they chose the mission.”

“But!” She shook her head. “I shouldn't have told them to go in the first place!”

“Hayate!” Yuuno put his arm around the girl and allowed her to cry against his chest. “Hey now, listen. We all miss Fate, and all of us wish we were there to help them, but we couldn't be. No matter if you told them or not, I still would have done the math and brought it up. They still would have chosen it and Fate still would have...” He shook his head, trying not to think about it. “I love them too, and it's hard enough seeing Nanoha so sad. I can't bear to see you lose it as well.”

“Yuuno...” She gripped him hard around the waist and pushed her head against him. “I'm sorry, it's just so painful... Her eyes...”

“Shhh, I know. I know, sweetheart, I know.” He hugged her. “The best thing we can do is be strong for her, try and make her think again.”

“Who's with her now?” She stayed against him, trying to soak up some of his courage.

“Vita. She's going to stay the night with her.”

“Yuuno...?”

“Okay,” He nodded even though she couldn't see him. “I'll cover your work tomorrow. You can stay with her.”

“Thank you.”

“Hey, what are friends for?”

“...Yuuno?” She gripped his shirt a little harder.

“Hm?”

“Just for a moment...will you let me be spoiled? After that I promise... I promise I'll be strong.”

He softened at the words, bringing one hand around her back and resting his other on the back of her head. “Ah. I won't think any less of you.” Hayate gripped his shirt harder as her body shook, voice finally breaking in a sob. “Just let it all out, Hayate.” he held her close as she finally allowed herself to break down and cry hard against him.


Vita woke up slowly, looking around a moment when she didn't feel her stuffed rabbit next to her. She spotted it across the bed from her and remembered that she allowed Nanoha to sleep with it. “Nanoha?” She sat up and looked around. A scent hit her nose, making her sniff a few times. “She didn't...” The small girl crawled out of the large bed and walked down the stairs slowly. “Nanoha?”

“Hm?” The pony tailed girl looked over to the side from her spot next to the window. “Good morning, Vita-chan.” She smiled at her, eyes still blank. “Would you like some coffee?”

“No thank you...” She knew Nanoha knew she hated coffee. “You started drinking it?”

“Nuh uh,” She shook her head and Vita realized she was cuddling a large stuffed bear. “Fate loves it, so I make it every morning.”

Vita's eyes teared up instantly. 'She hasn't given up yet, even though it's killing her...' Slowly she walked over to Nanoha and wrapped her arms around her from behind. “Nanoha can I ask you something?”

“Yes, Vita-chan?”

“You havn't given up on Fate yet have you?”

“Of course not!”

“Then... Why are your eyes so blank?” She felt Nanoha stiffen in her arms so she hugged her tighter. “I don't like it! Nanoha isn't Nanoha anymore! You're just an empty shell, I don't like it at all!” Her childishness started to break through the warnings Shamal had given her about her words. “I want my Nanoha back! I want you to pat my head, to smile at me! Fate wouldn't... Fate wouldn't want you to be like this!!

Nanoha's world stopped briefly, eyes finally coming into focus on the things around her. The feeling started in her stomach, slowly creeping up her neck until it spilled into her mouth. Her first gasp was rough, throat clenching together as her tears started to form. “She's... she's really gone isn't she?” Vita only hugged her harder. “Fate... Fate!” The last straw broke, allowing her to finally scream out loudly. Turning, she grabbed Vita so they were facing each other and hugged her tightly. “Vita-chan! Vita-chan, Fate's...Fate's...!!!” Vita couldn't give her any words of comfort, instead opting to push herself as tightly as she could against her. Nanoha wrapped her arms around her tighter, sure she was probably pulling the red head's hair but currently didn't care. All she wanted was something to hang onto as she let out the emotions she had repressed for so long.

The sobbing died down slowly before picking back up again and once more slowing back down. Nanoha, exhausted from the emotional outburst, was panting, trying to get air back into her lungs after crying for so long. Her throat burned and her nose was stopped up, forcing her to breath through her mouth. Finally she managed to calm down enough to release her death grip on Vita and pull away slowly, looking down at her as she sniffed softly. “Thank you,” She told her friend softly, voice harsh and rough from the crying.

“Nanoha?” Vita reached up and touched the younger woman's cheeks, staring into the eyes full of sadness. “Nanoha!” Flinging herself back against her, Vita hugged her tightly. “You're back...Oh thank Elune, you're back!”

Nanoha closed her eyes tightly, trying to keep herself from another crying spell which she just couldn't handle right now. “I'm sorry,” She managed out. “To make you worry.”

“Mmn.” She agreed softly, unable to speak anymore, nuzzling against her chest.


The red eyed girl looked around as she walked down the halls of the hospital and towards the area she was told to go. After double checking the little note her nurse had given her with the door number she knocked on it before being beckoned to enter. “Um, hello,” She greeted the man across the room. Several machines were about, most of which she noticed were for standard hospital use. “I was told by Dr. Light to come see you to get my device back?”

“Ah, you're the mage girl.” The man nodded at her and walked across his large room. “Quite a surprise, that day you came. My co-worker brought me a battered and broken mage staff; said that the girl had no identification so I needed to fix up the weapon to see if we could access it's storage drive and find out info. Bet you anything they just wanted to know who to bill, but that's between us, eh?” He winked at her. “Quite a device you have here. As soon as it's energy core was charged it started healing itself with almost no help from me at all. Drained my entire battery and half of another one though. Gave my crew quite a shock when it locked us out of it's programming.”

“I see,” She looked at the yellow gem he offered her and realized in the back of her mind that it would most certainly fit on her key chain. Reaching out, she gasped loudly when the gem turned into a staff at her touch. “W-wow...” Gripping it, she observed Bardiche in it's battle form. Even though it was her first time seeing it, the back of her mind didn't really find it that interesting. “This is mine...?”

“Yes sir!” It replied, making the girl yelp.

“It spoke!”

The man laughed at her. “It's an intelligent device all right.”

The woman licked her lips. “What is your name?”

“Bardiche, sir.”

“Bardiche,” She repeated. “What is... my name?”

“Fate T. Harlaown, sir.”

“Fate...” She repeated, tasting it. Amazingly it was familiar and new all at the same time. “Bardiche,” She heard it confirm her once again. “Where do I live?”

“Planet: Midchilda, first quadrant, Military base Delta in section six under command of Hayate Yagami.”

Fate smiled at the information. “My home...Maybe there I can find out more.” She thanked the mechanic and made her way out of the room before hunting down the main desk on the bottom floor. “Bardiche, who is my direct superior?”

“Hayate Yagami.”

The blond let out a small whistle. “I'm pretty high ranked then, aren't I?”

“Yes sir.”

Fate hugged her device, very pleased with all that she was learning about herself. “Well then, let's contact her, shall we?”


Hayate woke up slowly, bringing one hand up to rub her eyes “Huh...?” She looked around a little confused, wondering why she was still in her office. Looking down she noticed a familiar jacket had been placed around her and after blinking realized that Yuuno was behind her, both arms wrapped around her stomach as she laid on him. “Yuuno...?”

The male woke up, opening his eyes and smiling at her. “Hey, you're awake.”

“Why are we...?” She pulled his jacket up to get a little warmer.

“You fell asleep against me,” He informed her. “I was debating taking you back to your apartment but you seemed really peaceful so I didn't want to take the chance of you having another bad dream if I woke you, so I just stayed still.”

“You stayed here...all night... just for that?”

“Someone has to look after you,” He confirmed.

Hayate blushed darkly, suddenly feeling rather hot for some reason. She was saved having to reply to him by a black monitor appearing in front of her. “Long distance communication request from:” A small silence passed before Fate proudly declared her full name and rank. “Do you wish to accept?”

The girl looked at the monitor in shock for a few seconds before Yuuno answered for her. “YES!” The screen asked them to wait a moment before Fate's face appeared in front of them. “By the light of Elune... FATE!”

“Sir!” She saluted the two. “Permission to speak, Lieutenant Colonel Yagami?”

Hayate ignored her. “Fate! Oh my god, you're alive! Where are you!? Are you hurt!?”

“Ma'am, I am on Zargon Five under the care of Dr. Thomas Light, ma'am! I was wounded in my last mission and woke up here.”

Hayate looked over at Yuuno, who was already concentrating on a long distance teleport. “Give me the exact location of the teleport section there?” She saw Fate look at Bardiche and suddenly an extremely long series of number appeared on the screen. “Yuuno, can you make that jump?”

“Child's play,” He confirmed, although he was sweating due to his concentration. After a few moments he vanished out of sight leaving only a small trace of smoke where he had once been.

“Yuuno will be there shortly! Oh Fate, I was so worried.”

“My apologies, ma'am!”

Hayate wiped away her tears. “Stop being so strict! You never address me as ma'am!”

“I don't?” She asked, confused. “Isn't that how you are supposed to address your superior?”

“Are you okay Fate?” She started to worry. “You're acting strange...”

Fate gave her a lopsided smile. “Actually, no ma'am. I seem to have lost all my memories. I just learned my name a few minutes ago when I was given Bardiche here,” She showed her staff to her, as if Hayate had never seen it before. “You was the one I was supposed to contact, correct?”

Hayate fell to her knees, looking up at Fate with a shocked expression. “You... don't remember me?”

“I am very sorry, ma'am.” Fate saluted her once again. “Ah, The man you sent has arrived.” She looked over at Yuuno running at her with high speed. “Sir,” She addressed him before getting tackled in a hug. “S-sir!?”

“Fate! It's really you!” He spun her around happily before hugging her tightly. “Nanoha will be thrilled!”

“...Who?”


Nanoha sighed out, slowly eating a bagel. Her eyes were still red and puffy, cheeks stained crimson from the excessive rubbing. Despite looking so pitiful at the current moment, everyone seemed relieved to just have her showing emotions again. Shamal had hugged her the hardest, pleased that she had snapped out of her shock and was able to give her a proper physical test done to make sure she was all right. Despite the sick feeling in her stomach she still managed to finish off half of her bagel and sigh sadly. “I'm going to cry again,” She stated softly and instantly started getting hugs from everyone around her.

“Nanoha,” Hayate's sad voice caught her attention. “Come here please.” The woman she addressed gave her an odd look but still came as commanded, using the distraction to keep herself from breaking down once more. “We...” She tried to think how to word the horrible and good news. “I...” She sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose. “God I can't say it... Come with me,” She took her friend's hand and lead her away. “Shamal,” She contacted her guardian telepathically. “When I leave with Nanoha, can you give everyone some good and bad news?”

Yes?

We found Fate,” She let Shamal's instantly bombardment of questions subside before continuing. “Her body is fine, yes, but she hit her head really hard...She... doesn't remember anything... Not even Nanoha.”

I...see... Okay, I'll tell them... Good luck Hayate...” Her sadness was clear despite not being able to speak verbally at the moment.

“Where are we going?” The flight instructor asked after a few minutes.

“To the air strip... Notice Yuuno has been gone all day?”

“Mm,” She nodded lightly. “Investigating something for you?”

“Kind of...” Hayate nervously rubbed her friend's hand. “Um, Nanoha... I have some...news... for you...”

“What is it?” She looked confused. “You're acting very strange.”

Hayate looked at the air strip up in the distance and saw a inter-planet military jet land start coming in for a landing. “Well, you see...”She stayed silent a moment longer as they walked up to the open area where people waited to board the planes. “We found Fate.”

“What?” Nanoha froze in mid step, grabbing Hayate and holding both her shoulders. “What did you say!?”

“She's alive, Nanoha, her body is fine now, just magically drained...” She bit her lip, wanting to cry again when Nanoha's eyes lit up brightly. “But!” She said it quickly, unable to look at her friend directly anymore. “She hit her head... she has amnesia.”

“A-amnesia?” She stammered, unsure if she heard right. “You mean... where someone forgets things?” Hayate nodded lightly. “She... she doesn't remember her name?”

“Bardiche told Fate her name when it was repaired...”

“Then, then she remembers things right? I mean... she'll remember me right? Right!? Right Hayate!?” She gripped her harder, shaking lightly. “Answer me! She knows me right!?” Following her eyes, Nanoha turned to look at the plane that had landed and saw Yuuno step out of it. Ignoring Hayate she started walking towards him, speeding up slowly as she did so. “Fate...?” A person with blond hair left the plane next, helped down by her friend. “Fate!?” She started running now, pushing past the people in her way. “FATE!” the word made the blond look at her and meet her blue eyes with the familiar crimson ones. “Fate!!!” She was running fully now, eyes hazy with tears. The ground met her harshly when she tripped in her hurry but she pushed up immediately, regaining her lost speed in almost no time at all. Upon reaching her, Nanoha threw her arms around the girl and let the momentum knock them both over onto the ground. “Fate...” She couldn't seem to touch her enough, pulling her body harshly close and rubbing whenever she could. “Thank god you're safe! I was so, so worried!”

“Um,” Fate spoke rather uncomfortable. “Wh...Who are you?” Such simple words made Nanoha stop her cuddling all at once but didn't merit her letting go.

“This is Nanoha,” Yuuno informed her softly.

“Oh, Nanoha-san.” Fate spoke to her now. “Yuuno-san told me a lot about you.”

“You...don't remember me?”

“I'm very sorry,” Fate apologized, pulling herself up and dusting off her skirt before offering her a hand to help stand. “I can't remember anything it seems.” She smiled fondly at her and helped the girl to her feet. “The doctors say it could come back to me sometime but there's no guarantee. Are you all right, Nanoha-san?”

Nanoha wiped her eyes with both arms, crying heavily. “Y-yes...” She sobbed out, pulling Fate into another hug. Despite having a thousand things to say all at once she couldn't seem to find the words she wanted.

“Somehow...” Fate wrapped her arms around Nanoha and hugged her back, eyes closed with a smile. “This feels really soothing... I guess we really are best friends, huh?” Instead of an answer she was only embraced tighter.


“Is this where I live?” Fate pondered as she stepped into her apartment and looked around. “Wow this is really nice.”

“Hayate-chan tried really hard to get us a great room,” Nanoha whispered to her, not able to seem to speak fully just yet. The past few hours had been hell on her as Fate was 'introduced' to all of her friends and the heart breaking looks she received. Shamal had suggested that Fate take it easy for a moment as to not be overwhelmed by everything all at once and reminded them to go easy on the information until Fate could soak it all up.

“We live together?” The red eyed girl walked into the living room and observed the many pictures on the walls. “It's strange,” she began as she touched the smooth glass of the picture. “I see myself but I don't recall ever being there...”

“Those were fun time,” Nanoha assured her, following her as she walked around. “Yes, we both live here. For almost a year now.”

“I see,” She smiled as she continued to look around, one hand running along her couch. “Who decorated?”

“Both of us, Hayate-chan had the furniture picked out.”

“I like it,” She continued to the stairs leading to their bedroom. “Is this your bedroom or mine?”

“Ours,” the word broke as it left. “Ours,” She repeated again, this time more stable. “This is our bed.”

“We sleep together?” She observed the bed. “It is big enough, I suppose...” Crawling onto it, she looked at the mass of pinned up pictures above their headboard. “We really love taking pictures don't we?”

“You do,” Nanoha sat on the bed and looked at her, suppressing the urge to touch. “You take at least three or more a week.”

“Wonderful!” Fate looked back at her and smiled. “Maybe I can remember some things if I look at them!”

“Mm,” Nanoha nodded. “Bardiche,” she spoke out, getting confirmed. “please display photo album.” Shortly after several transparent books appeared around them, each labeled with a year.

“You can access my device?” Fate looked impressed. “Wow, no one could do that but me!”

“We have shared access,” She replied softly, fighting back another wave of tears. “You can access Raising Heart as well.”

“I see,” Fate sat beside her but kept a modest amount of distance between them. “I guess I should look at the latest book, as it will be easiest to remember.” Reaching up, she touched it to open the book of small images. “Amazing how I know how to work my device and how to walk and talk, even the names of objects, but I can't remember people. I wonder how that works?”

“No idea,”

“Anyway,” Fate reached up again and touched the first image.

“The first time in our new apartment, Fate T. Harlaown looks out over the bedroom balcony!” Nanoha's recorded voice declared, showing an image of Fate from the chest up. The blond smiled happily and pressed the 'next' button, seeing Nanoha sitting on the very bed she was currently on.

“This is so weird,” She made conversation as she flipped through the images, sometimes being greeted with sound. “Wow there are a lot of them in here. Who's this little boy again? So many names all at once I can't keep track.” She pointed at a picture of Elio

“Elio...” Nanoha looked down sadly. “He's your... little brother.”

“I have a little brother!?” She seemed amazed. “Where are my mother and father?”

“Your mother is on another planet right now, along with your familiar.”

“I have a familiar!?”

“Mm... you do.”

“Wow,” She said the word again, flipping through the images. “I seem to be really happy in these?”

“Yes,” Nanoha finally gave in and moved closer to her. “You're very happy here. Always smiling. Everyone loves you...”

“Thank you,” Fate looked over at her and smiled nervously. “Um...I know we're friends and all but... This is a little uncomfortable...Could you...scoot away just a little?”

Nanoha looked as if she had just been stabbed. “Oh... okay...” Standing, she blinked several time to keep herself from crying. “Would you like a drink or anything?”

Fate looked at her sadly. “I-I'm sorry... I didn't mean to hurt you. It's just I'm really unsure about things right now, Nanoha-san.”

“It was my mistake,” She shook her head. “A drink? Something to eat?”

“Um, anything to drink please.”

“One moment.” Nanoha waved at her lightly before walking down the stairs and over into the kitchen. Putting her back against the refrigerator, she slowly sank down to the floor. Bringing her knees up she hugged them tightly, finally letting her tears flow into her stockings while Fate looked through her photo album upstairs.


“That shower is really amazing,” Fate told Nanoha as she stepped into her bedroom fully dressed in some of her nightclothes.

“Isn't it?” Nanoha offered her a small smile. “We take long showers normally.”

“I see,” another phrase she repeated all day long. “Well, tell me a little about you. We're best friends right?”

“More than best friends...”

“What was that?”

“Nothing,” she waved it off, too upset to linger on it.

“Oh!” Fate grabbed her hand and looked at the ring on Nanoha's finger. “Is this an engagement ring!?”

Again the girl felt a sharp pain in her chest. “...Yes.”

“You have a fiancé?”

“Something like that, yes.” She looked away as Fate fawned over her ring. “Someone very special...”

“I bet, when is the wedding? Am I in it?”

Nanoha changed the subject, too upset to keep on. “Are you tired? Do you want to sleep?”

“I'm okay, I want to look around more,” She seemed pleased at being able to see so many things that were hers but she didn't know she had. “Is this my side?” She pointed at the dresser by the bed.

“Yeah... The top drawer is our stocking and things, second is your underwear drawer, third is mine.”

“I see,” Fate opened the top drawer and looked into it. “Assuming black is mine?”

“Mm. You love black. Purple and gold too, your three favorite colors.”

Fate opened the second drawer and laughed. “I can tell! Haha, wow. So I own anything not black?”

“A few things,” Nanoha felt herself smile lightly. Fate was still Fate, even without her memories.

“What's in this drawer?” Fate sat on her knees and reached to the bottom drawer.

“Don't open that one!” Nanoha instantly fell off the bed, pushing it close before Fate could look in it. “That's, um...” Her cheeks colored.

“What?” Fate tilted her head to the side. “Is this your drawer?”

“Well, no, it's ours but...” She looked nervous. “I don't think you're ready to see in it just yet.”

“I want to see then,” Fate pulled on the drawer a little more but Nanoha stopped her. “Nanoha-san? There might be something in here that gives me a memory or something.”

Nanoha swallowed nervously, slowly moving her hand away. “...Okay...” She wouldn't mind it at all if she recalled those memories.

Fate opened the drawer and looked into it. “What's this?” Reaching in, she blushed darkly when the contents became apparent. “Th-This is ours!?”

“...Mm...”

Fate slammed the door closed. “Well,” She laughed nervously. “Wow, we really are good friends, huh?” She scooted away when Nanoha tried to touch her. “Um, I think I will get in bed after all .” slowly she stood up, keeping her distance from Nanoha. “I'm going to sleep on the couch okay Nanoha-san?”

“What!? No, no way!” She stood as well. “You're not sleeping on the couch!”

“But, I'm...” She looked down at the drawer. “Really not comfortable right now.”

Nanoha grabbed her two favorite pillows and walked past her. “I'll sleep on the couch, Fate, so rest well okay?” She moved to give her a hug but the blond looked at her nervously. “Right then... Sleep sweet.” Walking past, she made her way down the stairs.

“Nanoha-san!?” The girl looked up at her. “I'm really sorry...”

“Don't worry about it. You're safe, that means a lot to me. Get some rest, we'll talk more tomorrow okay?”


“Nanoha-san?”

“Good morning,” she greeted her as Fate walked into the kitchen. “Hungry?”

“Starving,” She confirmed, looking around the kitchen.

“Have some breakfast, I was just about to bring it up to you,” Nanoha sat the plate in front of the bar followed by a cup of coffee.

“Thank you,” Fate sat on one of the barstools and started to eat. “This is really yummy. Do you normally cook?”

“Nuh uh,” She shook her head, leaning against the counter to talk to her. “You always cook for us.” She watched Fate look at the coffee a moment before picking up the cup and smelling it. After staring into it for a few moments she closed her eyes and sipped it slowly. “...Is it good?”

Fate exhaled, eyes still closed. “Feels...Nostalgic...” She spoke her mind. “For some reason... I feel so...” A single tear ran down her cheek. She opened her eyes and wiped the tear from her face. “My chest hurts...as if there's something I should know...” She watched Nanoha walk around and stand next to her. “Is there something related to this taste?”

“Mm, you could say that. A daily habit we have.”

“What's the rest of it?”

She stepped closer to her. “May I?”

“Uhn?”

Nanoha hugged Fate, surprised when she was embraced back. “You drink your coffee while I go over my training schedule, then I head out to work and I would hug you like this every morning, and then...”

“And then?” She inhaled the scent of Nanoha's hair, finding it exceedingly soothing despite how awkward she felt doing it. A truly complicated feeling washed over her as Nanoha pulled back just enough to give a gently kiss to her left temple.

“I would kiss you,” she whispered against Fate's hair. “And you would say:”

“Have a great day, Nanoha.” Fate finished for her, eyes closed tightly. “I almost.. I almost remembered something...” She looked up, scared. “Was that right?”

“Yes,” Nanoha smiled at her sadly. “It was right. Good job, Fate. We'll get your memories back, won't we?”

“We will,” She nodded. “And... I'm sorry. About last night. I know we're supposed to be really close but-”

“It's okay, anyone would be freaked out after that. Don't worry about it, just focus on remembering okay?”

“Mm.”


“Fate-san?” Elio ran over to her as she walked across their path after their training session with Vita. “How are you?”

Fate looked down at the boy and then at the two girls chasing after him. “Umm... Eriol, right?”

“Elio,” He corrected her, pressing down the rough feeling. “How are your memories? Have you recalled anything yet?” Looking to his sides, he noticed Caro and Lutecia next to him again. Fate looked at the two, trying in vain to recall their names. “Caro,” Elio motioned to the pink haired on. “And Lutecia. You call them by their first names.”

“I see,” Fate's line was repeated for the hundredth time. “Hello there,” She sat down to talk to them better. “I saw lots of pictures of you two, I'm sorry I can't recall it.”

“Fate-san...” Caro looked as if she was about to lose it. “Are you okay? Is it painful?”

“It's weird,” Fate admitted to them. “I have this urgent desire to figure out who I am but... I can't be sad because I don't know what I'm missing... It's as if I have no cares or worries or problems. I just... don't have a past. For some reason, deep down, I feel as if the past doesn't really matter and it's the future that counts. I'm focusing on that to keep me sane.”

The male nodded, knowing her past more than Caro did. “Do you... know about me?”

“I heard you're my little brother,” She smiled down at him and ruffled his hair. “Let's spend some time together soon okay, Elio-chan?” She ignored his blush at the sudden pet name for him. Looking at the girls beside him she smiled. “Are these your girlfriends?” She teased.

“Yes,” Lutecia confirmed, grabbing Elio's arm.

“He's mine too,” Caro stated, taking his other arm and making Elio smile nervously.

“Wow, my little brother is popular.” She grinned. “That's good to know.” Fate allowed him to stutter a moment before smiling at the three and standing up fully. “I need to be off, can you point me in the direction of Hayate Yagami's office?”

“Over there,” Caro pointed at the building, a weird feeling washing over her. “I can walk with you if you would like?”

“It's okay, thank you little one.” Fate pet her head before waving at the trio. “Nice to talk with you.”

“Y-yeah...” Elio waved at her with a fake smile and let it all fall when she turned her back. “I don't know how long I can keep smiling...”

“Be strong,” Lutecia offered him quietly. “It must be hard, but the doctor said the best thing for her right now is the smiles from her friends.”


Fate knocked on Hayate's door and saluted her when she was bid entrance. Nanoha was on the couch, back turned to her and moving as if she was wiping her eyes. “Reporting, ma'am.” The blond hailed the two. “Please forgive my tardiness, I went the wrong way for a little while to get here.”

“Stop calling me 'ma'am' please,” Hayate requested, voice trying to stay cheerful. “We're friends and that won't change no matter what.”

“I'm sorry,”

“And stop apologizing,” Hayate really did smile now. “It's okay, we understand. No one blames you for anything.”

“Thank you,” Her red eyes looked over at Nanoha, who was seemingly calming herself down. “Nanoha-san?”

“Yes?” She turned around cheerfully but her smeared makeup revealed that she had been crying. “You ready for lunch? I thought we could go get some food at Fuji's.”

“Great idea!” Hayate nodded happily. “Fate, you'll really be happy there, it's sort of our un-official meeting place.”

“Sounds fun.” She smiled at them briefly before a red monitor flashed around all of them. “What's this?”

“A scramble!” Hayate realized, waving her hand out to get the details sent to her. “Local police force in in pursuit of a group of mages and request back up!”

“I'll go,” Nanoha flashed into her barrier jacket. “I need to release some stress.”

“Don't hurt them,” Hayate warned as she ran out of the office. “This is Yagami,” She addressed the man giving the call. “I deployed my top Ace to your position, her call is Stars one.”

“Ma'am! Thank you!” He looked insanely surprised to be getting help at all. “We're indebted to you!”

“Whenever you need help, section six will come through for you,” She told him with a small smile. “Please never hesitate to ask us.”

Fate looked at Hayate with a newfound respect. “You're really kind, has anyone told you that?”

“Sometimes,” She smiled at her life long friend. A moment passed in silence between them. “I can't go right now until this is over, can we take a rain check for dinner?”

“Okay,” She nodded and went to salute but Hayate caught her arm. “Sorry, for some reason it's a habit when I see more rankings than myself.”

“Mm,” The shorter girl gave Fate's hand a small squeeze. “Have you remembered anything lately?”

“Feelings,” She confirmed. “Everything feels so nostalgic but I can't place anything. When I see people my emotions change.”

“What do you feel around me?”

“A calm feeling. I really respect you, and I feel that if you should say anything I should really take it to heart.”

Hayate blushed. “And Nanoha?”

This time Fate's cheeks colored. “Weird... my heart aches when she looks so sad. I feel as if a part of me is crying. I want to...”

“Want to what?”

“Nothing, it's silly. We're both girls.”

“You're her fiancée.”

“I'm what!?”

Hayate covered her mouth. “Oh my god I wasn't supposed to say that until you were more comfortable!”

“My... my... I'm...” She shook her head. “We're...!?”

“Calm down Fate, take a breath.”

“A breath? You just told me I'm engaged! To someone I don't even know! Oh my god no wonder she was so sad... I said such careless things!” Tears came to her eyes all at once. “Wha-what?” She wiped them quickly “Why am I crying? Why do I feel like this!?”

“Fate...” She held the girl when she suddenly collapsed onto her and sobbed out. “Try and remember, Fate... Remember her, if only just her! You love her, deep down. I know you must still feel it.”

“I don't understand,” She coughed out, pulling Hayate closer. “I do but I don't! I want her to touch me but I don't! My body tells me to hug her but my mind says to stay away!”

“Fate...”


Fate turned the page in the photo album, bringing up the images one by one in front of her. Hayate had calmed her down enough to collect her thoughts and make it back to her apartment but her chest was still aching. The news that she was engaged was too much, and for the first time she felt an earth shaking sadness at not knowing what she lost. “Bardiche?” The familiar greeting met her ears. “Is it possible to organize these so only pictures of Nanoha and myself are shown?”

“Which album?” It requested of her.

“I have album saved like that?”

“Yes sir. Many.”

“Um, the most recent ones, since we started living here together.”

“Two albums,” It replied. “Album one: Section Six. Album two: Private.”

“Private?” She repeated curiously but Bardiche brought it up in front of her. “...Password?” She thought hard. “Um... Fate?” She got a negative answer. “Nanoha?” again another negative. “Fate- Nanoha? Nanoha-Fate? Ugh...Bardiche, what is Nanoha-san's last name?”

“Takamachi, sir.”

“Nanoha Takamachi?” She frowned. “Wait a minute...Bardiche, my name is what?”

“Fate T. Harlaown.”

“What does the 'T' stand for?”

“Nothing. You kept it during your name change as a memory of how you overcame your hardships.”

“I see...” She looked at the screen. “Enter password... Fate Takamachi Harlaown.” the words came up as she spoke and soon the book opened, allowing her to flip through the pages. Her cheeks colored, viewing the several pictures that all had the two girls in random poses kissing and hugging each other. Carefully she observed each one, feeling the pressure in her chest swell. “A movie?” She pondered, pushing the play button next to the image.

Far in the light, I can see it. In every scene of the night: a tiny feather of love.

Fate blinked, the song suddenly greeting her as well as the voices of girls she didn't know. “Hey, you hear that?” Nanoha's voice came up and the people recording the movie zoomed in on Fate and Nanoha dancing. “It's our song, what are the odds!?” The girls were suddenly in a spotlight as the light's dimmed. “Hey... What's going on?” She asked suddenly, looking around. Several giggles came around by the people recording, followed by shushing sounds. “...Fate-chan?”

“This is...” She suddenly realized as she watched herself kneel down in front of Nanoha. “I proposed to her...” her eyes stayed on the video and felt a funny happy feeling in her gut when Nanoha passed out on her. “She fainted,” She spoke aloud, grinning. “How cute...” The video cut off then and came back when she pushed the play button on the next image. The blond couldn't help but smile at the new scene, showing Nanoha answering her and hugging. “She was so pretty that night...”

Her eyes went wide as the smell of Nanoha's hair came back to her, the feeling in her chest when she was hugged, and most of all the sheer happiness when she realized that she would be married to her. “That night...” She held herself, leaning over as she listened to the audio. “She...She...” She thought hard, hearing Nanoha scream out loudly that she was engaged and everyone laughing at her. “and she said that we were going to raise a family, with a little boy and girl...”

“Family...” Nanoha's voice came up softly from the film. “We're going to get married and have a family!

“With a little boy and girl,” Fate's voice came down as well.

Fate looked up in shock, almost seeing Nanoha in front of her hugging and declaring her love. “This... These are..!!”

“I'm home,” Nanoha's voice came up from downstairs

'Her keys on the coffee table' Fate thought desperately before hearing the small clinking sound. 'Her boots kicked off...' Nanoha's boots thunked lightly as she carelessly tossed them off. 'I remember... I remember!' Standing, she looked at her lover walk across the living room. “Nanoha... Nanoha!!”

“Fate?” She looked up, shocked, as the blond literally ran down the stairs and knocked her over in a hug. “Wha, what!?”

“Nanoha!” She repeated, grabbing the back of her head and smothering her in several kisses. “Nanoha! God, I missed you!”

“Fate...?” She looked up, eyes wide in shock. “You...?” She got several happy nods at her.

“I love you so much, Nanoha...” She was starting to cry again, eyes protesting the action but not being able to stop it.

“Fate...” Without warning she grabbed the girl and pulled her down hard, holding her so close it hurt. “You're back...” Already her voice was breaking. “My Fate... My beloved Fate!”

“Mm,” She confirmed softly, unable to speak anymore. “Mm!”

The two stayed on the floor for a long time, crying softly at everything they had gone through the past week. “How,” Nanoha asked softly when she could. “How did you...?”

“I'm not sure,” Fate whispered back, finally pulling away and allowing them to breathe. “I was going through out photo album and I saw the video when we got engaged and it... It just came back. Just like that.”

“Just like that?” Nanoha gave her a choking laugh. “You never stop amazing me...”

“I'm so sorry,” she went on. “For everything I said, I hurt you so bad.”

“It's okay, I'd go through it all over again if it meant having you back.” She reached up and ran a finger along her cheek. “Tho, I'll never forgive you for what you did back then on that mission.”

“I don't expect you to,” Fate countered, leaning down to kiss her again several times. “You would have done it too if you thought of it first, I know.”

“Shut up,” She gripped her again. “Tell me, what really happened that day?” Fate went to move off of her but Nanoha pulled her back down. “Don't let go! Don't let go yet...”

“Okay,” The two rolled over so they were on their sides. “After you teleported I was blown down the tunnel we flew up to get to Scaglietti. I landed in the room we fought Zest in and I collapsed. An explosion knocked me down the hole your distortion bomb made and I was laying there, about to give up, and I saw something sparkling in the light.”

“What was it?”

“I'll tell you if you let me?” She kissed Nanoha once again. “When I was fighting Zest I went to reload Bardiche but a blast made me lose the entire clip. It fell through the hole and I used another to start fighting again.”

“So you found the one you lost?”

“Yes,” She kissed her once again to keep her quiet so she could finish. “I loaded it in and started to teleport but something cracked me upside the head before I made it out... I guess Bardiche attempted to finish the spell for me when I was knocked out. I manged to teleport but I ended up way in the middle of nowhere. Dimensional tears are like worm holes so I guess that's how I ended up on a planet so far away.”

“Wow,” Nanoha shook her head. “That's something straight out of one of those science fiction novels I read.”

“But that isn't the point...I can remember everything now. The people at the hospital took real good care of me until Yuuno picked me up.”

“I'm glad.”

The two stayed on the floor a moment longer; simply content to hold each other. “Let's get in bed,” Fate offered softly. “Tomorrow is going to be busy.”


“So Lutecia is staying with Caro?” Fate pondered after sliding on her sweater. The entire first six hours of her day was nothing but being hugged several times over again by all of her friends and by now she was just happy to have a moment to breathe. Although happy at everyone's feelings, she wanted to put the situation behind her as soon as possible. An escape came to her when it was revealed that the purple haired girl didn't have any clothing to change into when Hayate gave everyone the day off to celebrate having their Fate back. “Do they get along?”

“Very well, actually.” Nanoha confirmed as she slid on a skirt after changing out of her uniform. “I was worried at first but they seem to be best of friends already.”

Fate hopped a few times to get her tight jeans up and zip them. “Sweetheart, put on something warmer, you'll freeze in that skirt.”

“I don't like pants,” Nanoha countered with a smile while Fate put on some lipstick. “I'm glad Lutecia decided to join the forwards after all, she'll be a great addition.”

“As soon as the paperwork is straightened out she'll be given her training uniform but she still needs clothes.” The blond puckered up and kissed a random piece of paper to remove the excess lipstick. “Ready?”

“Steady,” Nanoha grabbed her purse and took Fate's hand as they left their apartment and went to the elevator. “Caro-chan said she was going to help pay for Lutecia's clothes and even Elio wanted to chip in when he found out as well, but why did you decide to take her in the first place?”

“Well, you know, I can't let a girl go without clothes...”

Nanoha slowly pieced it all together. “Ah! You're going to take care of her while she's here aren't you?” The look on Fate's face confirmed it. “Mou, we almost die and you lose your memories and then once we finally get together again you go and see another poor child that needs a family...” She put her head against the wall by Caro's door. “My wallet is going to hurt so bad after taking care of three children...”

“You don't have to-!”

“I'm not going to let a child go without clothes, especially if you've already decided to look after her! You're half mine too!”

“Hello!” Caro greeted them happily, making the older women cut off their conversation. “Sorry for the wait.” She stepped out into the hallway, revealing her thick pants and long sleeved shirt. “I was trying to find something for Lutecia-chan so she wouldn't freeze.”

The girl in question slowly came outside as well by the encouragement of Caro's hand. Lutecia stood in a pair of bluejeans, held in place by a belt, and a slightly baggy blue long sleeve shirt that was obviously Elio's. “Hello,” She greeted them, still not used to seeing the leaders of the squad. Fate she knew but her interactions with Nanoha were limited at best and also not on very good terms. As an afterthought she bowed to them each. “Thank you for taking me.” To her surprise she found a hand on her head, ruffling her hair. Looking up, she saw Fate leaning over lightly and smiling at her.

“Hello,” Nanoha added in, crouching down to be more eye level with her. “Our first introduction was a little awkward and I havn't really been myself the past little while so... why don't we try again? I'm Takamachi Nanoha, you can call me Nanoha if you'd like?”

Lutecia blushed darkly. “I'm Lutecia.” When the girl tilted her head to the side she continued. “I don't have any other name.”

“Can I call you Lutecia-chan?”

“If you want...” The girl looked down, embarrassed at being treated so nice by the woman who almost had her life destroyed because of her.

“The past is the past,” Nanoha whispered to her so no one else would hear. “If you hadn't done what you've did, I would still be constantly scared for my life. Because of you, I made a new friend and no longer have to be scared every time I close my eyes. So actually I should be thanking you.” She smiled when Lutecia gave her a shocked look. “I know what you went through from the reports, so I just want to say, we're all family here...almost literally... so welcome to the dysfunctional group of section six.”

“...Thank you.” Lutecia bowed again, deeper this time.


“So,” Nanoha mused as she watched the two girls walked around the clothing store in the mall along with the very embarrassed Elio. “On a scale of one to ten, how uncomfortable do you think Elio is, holding their clothes?”

“I'd say a seven.” Fate smiled and put an arm behind the bench they were sitting on and was rewarded with Nanoha scooting a little closer to her. “You know, we could have just told Hayate-chan and saved us the money.”

“And let her pick out outfits? Remember the last time we made that mistake?”

“You won the pageant you was in didn't you?”

“Fate, it was a cosplay pageant. I was a bunny-girl.” Nanoha sighed at the memory.

“Well the playboy staff did request you to pose for them.”

“I was fourteen! I'm lucky I wasn't scarred for life!”

Fate pointed at the store. “Oh look, Caro just made Elio hold more clothes while she's changing!”

“He's so red!” The blue eyed girl instantly formed the yellow camera screen and took a picture. “Lutecia just came out of the dressing room... Oh she looks really cute!” The blond simply smiled, placing her arm around Nanoha's shoulders and pulling her up next to her fully. “Hm? You're normally not cuddly in public, Fate?”

“You know, Nanoha?” She looked up at the skylight above them. “I'm really happy right now. We're simply taking children shopping but when I see them laughing and smiling...I can't help but be really happy.”

“It's kind of like we're a family, huh?” Nanoha pondered, watching the two girls tease Elio. “I've been thinking...” The girl looked over at Fate. “That I may adopt Caro-chan. For real.”

“Why that all of sudden?”

“Because when I think about her, the more I think about me when I was growing up. People were always around me, I was always loved... But I felt a little detached, as if I was the odd one out. I want to share the feeling I missed with someone... I guess you understand that, huh?”

“Of course. I wouldn't mind have Caro as a daughter either. Elio is my brother so that would make them in-law siblings back on Earth wouldn't it?”

“Mm, but Midchilda doesn't have that. From what I can tell, it's a good thing. She has the hots for him.” Nanoha shook her head with an amused smile. “And yet they don't even know what it means... Well maybe Lutecia does, she seems wise beyond her years.”

Fate rubbed Nanoha's shoulder absently a while longer as the three shopped still. “Hey... Do you want to start planning our wedding soon?”

“Really?” She looked over and up at her fiancée. “It's only just getting cold, I thought you wanted a wedding in the summer?”

“Well... I came to realize that putting things off may lead to regretting it later.” Her red eyes closed. “When I was there, I only had one regret... I wanted to see you standing in front of me in a wedding dress.”

“Fate...” Reaching up, she loosely took the hand around her shoulders and rubbed the fingers. “Yes, let's start planning... One thing right now, though?” She grinned up at her lover. “You would look really hot in a tuxedo.”


“Is this everything?” Fate wondered aloud while nibbling on a cookie they had all gotten from a random stand.

“Y-yes,” Lutecia blushed darkly. “You bought me more than I could ever ask for.”

“Oh!” Caro looked over at Elio a moment before motioning Nanoha to lean down. She whispered into the woman's ear softly a moment before pulling back with an embarrassed face.

“What did she say?” Fate pondered.

“Oh, she needs a bra.” Nanoha answered simply, making Caro flail out. “Lutecia-chan, do you need one too?”

“I...suppose...?” She looked a little embarrassed as well. “I've never worn one before.”

“To the lingerie store!” Nanoha took Caro's hand and lead her away happily.

Elio rubbed his nose, face glowing red while waiting outside of the store. 'Don't think bad thoughts, don't think bad thoughts, don't think bad thoughts!'

“It's been a while since we shopped together like this,” Fate mused while holding up a black bra with purple flowers and contemplated buying it. “Not just going out for food or supplies or something, I mean.”

“Mm.” Nanoha watched the sales clerk measure around Lutecia before going over to Caro. “For now on let's do something every Firesday, even if it's just going to lunch.” Turning to look back at her, she stuck out her tongue. “Or we could go to that store sometime again too?”

Fate held her nose. “Don't bring that place up so randomly!”

“Nyahaha!” She turned back to the little girls and leaned over. “What sizes?”

“A!” Caro replied happily. “Just like you, mommy!”

With a small laugh, Fate looked down at Lutecia, who seemed a little surprised. “How about you?”

“B-cup,” She told her, making Nanoha suddenly go stiff. “...Did I say something bad?”

'Taking our body proportion into consideration...She... has bigger breasts than me...' The pony tailed woman sighed out dejectedly. “Life isn't fair...”


“This is nice,” Nanoha spoke softly over the light bird's chirping and other miscellaneous forest sounds. “We havn't done this in ages.”

Fate couldn't help but give her a light chuckle. “Wash each other in the holographic shower? Mm, I guess you're right, we havn't bathed together in a long time.” Her eyes fluttered closed at the gentle rubbing from her partner. “And you have been slacking on rubbing my back lately too.”

“Don't get mad when I put you to sleep of the middle of the day then.” Nanoha shifted so she was sitting on her knees when her legs started to go to go numb from sitting crossed legged for so long.

“So, about our wedding? Want to start planning it tomorrow?”

“Mm. With you in a tuxedo.”

“What is it with you and wanting me to cross-dress? You would make a better guy, miss no-boobs.” She placed her hands flat against Nanoha's chest, or lack there-of.

“Mou, but that's why I like it” Nanoha stuck out her tongue. “A hot male version of Fate, but with big boobs.” She leaned forward and gave her a quick playful kiss. “Best of both worlds.”

“Pervert.”

“Am not.”

“It's okay, I love that part about you too. You normally do it just to make me laugh.”

Nanoha pouted at her. “Busted. But it works, so it's okay right?”

“Right.”

Fate moves so she could start washing Nanoha instead now. “It's really adorable. I love it when you crawl on the bed and make those meowing sounds whenever I'm upset about work or stressed out.”

“And then lick your face until you pay attention to me?” Nanoha giggled. “That's so much fun.” The two looked at each other a while longer before laughing.

“You're a silly girl,” The blond motioned for her to turn around and gasped softly when she shifted her friend's hair. “Nanoha, what happened to your back?” She trailed her finger along one of the many small scars that hadn't been there last time she looked.

“Eh?” She looked over her shoulder, suddenly remembering what Shamal told her. “Oh... I forgot all about it.” The girl turned to look up at Fate. “I happened when we were fighting. My back got hit really bad remember?”

“Oh yeah... You were protecting me.” Fate leaned forward and gave her back a small kiss. “Does it still hurt?”

“Not at all,” She shook her head. “Does it...Look bad?

“No, you can't even tell really,” She slowly started to rub the soapy washrag over her skin. “I think they add to your charm. Without these scars, I would probably have really died then.”

“Fate...”

“Anyway, on to happy things,” She continued washing her friend. “You and your meowing, and me and my complete lack of restraint to your teasings.”

“We make such an odd couple.”

“Yeah,” Fate stood and helped Nanoha to her feet before cutting off the shower spray and killing the illusion around them. “You're really messy,”

“And you're O.C.D about cleaning.”

Fate got a towel and began drying Nanoha off instead of herself. “You are lazy with your clothes.”

“And you do laundry every two days.” Nanoha happily allowed Fate to dry her off, smiling brightly at the attention she was given.

“You never wear your glasses.”

“You eat cookies in bed.”

“But I do the sheets every week! Sometimes more.”

“Only because we had sex on them.” Nanoha stuck out her tongue a moment before Fate dabbed it with the towel and making her suck it back in. “Ew! Towel fuzz in my mouth!”

“Serves you right, that's rude.” The blond stuck her own tongue out regardless of what she just said.

“Well at least I don't bite my nails.” Reaching for another towel, she started drying off Fate now. “And then you try and kiss me, that's gross!”

“Well you kiss me after you...” Her voice trailed off, face red.

“After I whaaaat?” Nanoha cooed, knowing perfectly well what she meant. “You purr.”

“I do not purr.”

“Growl, moan, gasp, purr, same thing.” She touched her girlfriend's nose with a finger before she could reply. “Which, I absolutely love, by the way.” The blush she was looking for came, making her grin happily. “Watch this.” Reaching down, she scooped the girl up into her arms and held her. Fate squeaked in surprise, quickly looping her arms around Nanoha's shoulders to keep herself steady. “I will now carry you to bed like a princess.” She walked out of the bathroom door and did just that, grinning when Fate shivered slightly when her still damp body was hit by the coolness of their bedroom.

“I thought I was supposed to be the prince?” She pondered, swaying her legs cutely as she was carried. “Not that I mind.”

“A change is good every now and then.” Gently laying her on the bed, she smiled and crawled on top of her. “Mind if we cuddle while sleeping tonight?”

“Not at all. You love it anyway... Snuggle slut”

Nanoha broke into laughter at the pet name. “I am not a snuggle slut!”

“Are so,” She accused. “But it's okay. Come here, you.” Reaching up, she pulled Nanoha down to lay on her. “I love you anyway.”

“Somehow.” She closed her eyes and rested. “I guess this officially closes the book on Scaglietti... I wonder where we're going to go now?”

“Preferably somewhere leading to raising a family,” the red eyed girl thought aloud. “Not that I want to retire or anything, but you know, We're about to be twenty soon.”

“Most people don't start thinking about family for another few years.” Nanoha corrected her. “But we're special I guess... Okay, sure.” Looking down, she smiled at the girl. “Let's get married and adopt Caro-chan when we're both twenty. From there we'll see how Lutecia-chan goes and if we decide to in a few years we'll adopt her too?”

“Maybe have a child ourselves?” She looked up into Nanoha's eyes. “I want to have a baby by you.”

“Fate...Wow, really?”

“Mm.” Bringing her down lightly, she gave her lover a slow kiss. “We can have our genes split and artificially fertilize me with it, it's really safe.”

“...So it would really be my child?”

“In every way.”

Nanoha's lips turned up before giggling happily. “Wow, I'd be a real mother! But wait, there's so much to do! We're still young and our jobs, and and.”

“Nanoha!” Fate laughed at her. “Years honey, years. At least six or so!”

“Oh!” She blushed darkly. “Oh.. yeah...I knew that.”

“Sure.”

“Really!” Nanoha kissed her to prevent any protest from coming.

“Okay, okay,” Fate gave in to her before letting out a yawn and hugging her. “You ready to tuck in for the night?”

“Hey...before we go to sleep, can I ask something?”

“Yes?” The blond tilted her head to the side curiously.

“Will you... make love to me tonight? Gently?”

Fate felt her cheeks color at the honest question. “I'll make love with you,” She replied softly, her hands going up and cupping the girl's face to share a kiss before slowly moving to massage her neck. “I'm glad you're with me.”

“I'm glad too,” She softly told her before kissing more and trailing to Fate's ear and sucking on the lobe carefully. She felt Fate's hands rub her back sensually, trailing over her body. “We will always be together...”

“Always.”


Thus ends the second book of 6th Division, Reminisce. I want to give a special thanks to everyone who stayed with my during this, and a very special thank you to everyone who was with me during my first book as well as this one. I hope all of you enjoyed this long fanfic and please forgive the many spelling and grammar mistakes along the way. I'll go back and correct them as soon as I get over being lazy about re-uploading chapters. Please feel free to drop a review or email if you want to talk about anything in this. I also hang out at the shoujo-ai forums, as well as the ones at AnimeSuki. By now I'm sure you've noticed that this isn't the last chapter, and the reason being is the next one is an alternate ending. Although this is the official ending, the one in the next chapter was the original ending. Just like before, I will give a for fun refinance here to the many things that influenced sections of this story. I'm leaving out all the ones from “Rebirth” since you already know them.

Some people may notice this is different from the chapter seven posted before this one. I revised it and re-wrote most of it because some people felt the last version was lacking. I hope you enjoyed this new version.

I thought about some of the parts in this chapter but after doing a little research, they are really quite logical.

People walking around while in shock actually happens a bit, so I've seen. My friend's mother died and this was exactly what he did, walking around on auto pilot while talking to people and setting up the funeral and things, but you could tell he wasn't really all there and at times he just stared into space. I know some people may not like it compared to Nanoha, but this is what I can see honestly happening (as I have seen it really happen). Just because you're in a state of shock doesn't mean you can't walk around and continue to do things.

The part with Vita waking her up may make some people doubt, as I've seen "Only Fate should wake her up" before I wrote this, but I have to say... That's fairy tale thinking, being in a state where only the love of your life can snap you out of... Vita, being Nanoha's close friend, is the only one I saw who could spell it out and brake it in on Nanoha that Fate wouldn't want her to be a 'doll' and morn for her so much. "Tough Love" as it's called. Sometimes you don't need people hugging you and telling you "It's okay" because sometimes it's NOT okay. Nanoha needed to realize this, and Vita just so happen to be the one to tell her. As for her reaction of just crying and not going on a rampage: Nanoha has never shown us that she would go psycho on people (even tho the 4koma comics and fan pictures and things imply otherwise). Even when she's so angry she can't see straight or so disappointed in her students she feels the need to "cool their heads", she was always calm and more or less collected. She never raised her hand against anyone ( with a purpose to hurt with her anger) or brake things in a rage. She is just calm, so her character to me, would just break apart and not get destructive.

As for Fate just suddenly getting her memories back, that actually really does happen. Yes, just like that. Not always that simple but when I looked into cases to do research for this, a lot of people just -snap- remembered everything. Strange but true.


One minute seven seconds,” Vita informed him, making Kuhn groan and hunch over, dejected. “and you missed a triple sec in the long island.”

-Kuhn's “6 drinks in under 60 seconds” is an actual round of professional bar tending competition. Bar tenders must make six pre-selected drinks as fast , and accurately, as they can. Judges do acute measuring of the finished drinks and can tell if they're even one quarter of an ounce low or too full. They are given penalty time for any mis-pours, spills, or missing ingredients. If they are perfect, they get four seconds removed from their time. Kuhn here isn't perfect, but he's still pretty darn fast.


Being emo,” Subaru yawned as she pulled one ear bud from her ear so she could pay more attention to her partner. A song from Linkin Park was currently playing, being set on Tia's personal play list.

-Linkin Park, the band everyone says to listen to when you're having an emo moment. I admit I had their latest CD “Minutes to Midnight” on repeat while I wrote chapter 6 of Rebirth. And yes, even on Midchilda, there is Linkin Park.


By the light of Elune!” Subaru gasped out. “What is that thing!?”

-This quote came from World of Warcraft, Elune being a goddess.


I am a human being!” She countered him. “I may have been born a copy but I will die an original!”

-An alteration of a quote I saw somewhere: “You were born an original, why die a copy?”


The knight flew towards it quickly, shooting two cartridges from his spear. “Knight attack: Through the Never!”

-Another one of Elio's knight attacks. The first, “Seek and Destroy” and the second “Through the Never” are both names of Metallica songs.


Right after she became an enforcer, her leader was called to an emergency and left her in charge of the rest of the squad, unit seven.

-Unit Seven was Zero's Unit from Mega man before he became a solo operator.


Well, some of the veterans have another switch, a 'Devil Trigger' as Nanoha calls it

-Devil Trigger is the mode from Devil May Cry where Dante summons his demonic blood to help him fight.


I'm not a desk junkie,” Fate grabbed him and hauled him out the door. “Kha-san, finish up for me please!”

-Kha is a fellow Nanoha fan and one of my friends on AnimeSuki.


Um, hello,” She greeted the man across the room. Several machines were about, most of which she noticed were for standard hospital use. “I was told by Dr. Light to come see you to get my device back?”

-Dr. Light is the good scientist in the old Mega man series.


Yes.” They flew upwards slowly and touched the hatch, letting it open up in two parts, sliding away. “Go in fast and together.” She got a nod and the two hugged each other, flying up as quickly as they could. Just as the blond predicted, the hatch slammed shut and locked, hissing out.

-Keeping with the Mega man references (Wily being Skeith's creator), Jail's last line of defense to his lair is a trap door at the top of a long vertical hallway. This is what Sigma uses as his last defense against Maverick Hunters.


Ma'am, I am on Zargon Five under the care of Dr. Thomas Light, ma'am! I was wounded in my last mission and woke up here.”

-Zargon five is a random generic name for a planet...It's also a planet Vegeta destroyed in Dragonball Z.


???: So, Scaglietti is dead?

?????: Yes, Sire.

???:Very well, I will move my own hand.

?????:As you wish, Sire.

Yuuno: Next time, a new book in the life of all of section six. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha's 6th Division: Redemption

Nanoha: Feel that? A storm is coming...

Onwards to Part 8


Back to 6th Division: Reminisce Index - Back to Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction