Final Distance (part 4 of 30)

a Mai HiME fanfiction by jaded088

Back to Part 3 Untitled Document

Silence consumed the room as the standoff continued.

Mother versus daughter…

Emerald versus emerald…

And then, finally, the older of the two stepped forward, wrapping her arms around the other while planting a kiss on the girl’s forehead.

“Natsuki…My daughter has grown up without me…”

“Mother…” Natsuki whispered, returning the embrace before both pulled back.

Saeko caressed her daughter’s cheek in her hand, “You’ve become so beautiful…”

“Are you just saying that ‘cause I look like you?” the girl shot back with an amused smirk and a raised eyebrow.

“Hardly,” the older replied, giving her daughter a firm yet playful patting on the cheek.

“Hey, hey! The kid’s back!” a deep voice boomed from across the base, and turning to seek out the source, Natsuki’s eyes brightened when seeing who it was.

Jousuke “Kuma” Kruger, older brother of Natsuki’s father Daisuke, had a voice that certainly matched his stature. He was a monster of a man; towering over anyone he met with a build of solid, bulging muscles. His bald head was countered by the black trimmed beard that ran from his sideburns to his chin, his tanned skin marred with scars and the occasional tattoo.

“Uncle, it’s good to see you again.”

“Likewise, kiddo. Although, I wish it had been under better circumstances.”

“Speaking of, why did you call me back now, mother? I haven’t received my GEM yet.”

“You haven’t told her yet, Saeko?” Jousuke questioned, the shock evident in his tone causing Natsuki to shift her eyes back and forth between the two.

“Mom…?”

“You know as well as anyone here that we’ve always been underdogs in this fight, Natsuki,” the woman somberly began.

“Well, yeah, but—“

“It seems we’ve finally reached out limit. We’re running out of resources, we’re running out of men…At this rate, the nobles will be able to wipe us out within a month if we don’t do something now.”

“That’s why we’re gonna give ‘em one last push. All or nothing. It might sound crazy, but we really don’t have any other option,” Jousuke chimed in.

“So it’s really come to this, huh?” Natsuki murmured, hand on her chin.

“Unfortunately, yes,” Saeko continued, “Despite your age, you’ve always been a gifted fighter...The soldiers love and respect you like they did your father, Natsuki. I brought you back to help lead the troops.”

Giving herself a moment to take it all in, Natsuki closed her eyes before opening them once again moments later, jade orbs burning with endeavor.

“I understand. So, what’s the plan?”


“I don’t suspect she took the new very well, did she?” Anya Kuritsin, wielder of the Swirling Dance Fluorite and current fifth Column, asked while taking a seat on the couch across from the Headmistress.

“Of course not. She’s rather vexed with me right now actually,” Lucretia casually replied before taking a sip of her tea.

“You don’t seem to be very bothered by that.”

“What? Internal bickering between the Columns? That seems to be all that we’ve put up with these past years…”

“Mmh…It is unfortunate…But at least we’ve been able to uphold our duties—”

“Only because we’re lucky,” the Gakuenchou was quick to retort, “If something major were to take place…Well, let’s just say I’d rather not think about the consequences.”

“Are we really that unstable, Oleander-sama?” the younger Column questioned with obvious concern.

“At times, yes, at others, no. It’s getting harder and harder to tell which one it will be with each passing issue.”

A silence filled the room as the two women sipped their tea and contemplated just what they were in the middle of. With a small clatter, the younger Column set her cup on the table once again.

“…I certainly hope this plan works then…”

“So do I, Anya. So do I…”


Natsuki lay on her cot in the commander’s sleeping quarters, staring up at the dirty ceiling, continuing to think over the plan that her mother and uncle had unfolded to her two days ago when she had first arrived back in Vedel.

The idea was to split the Resistance forces into three groups: one to make a direct assault on the noble’s army, hopefully pulling a majority of their troops away from the capital, while two smaller groups infiltrated Seris, the heart and soul of the Northern forces, from either side.

It was certainly risky, but with the right strategy and some luck, Natsuki knew that they could pull it off.

She herself was to help lead the main strike with her uncle while her mother and another top official lead the two sneak attacks. Of course, her mother had protested Natsuki’s decision to back the larger force, and with good merit too, since it was near suicide to fathom their smaller, weaker army fighting against the National Army of Vedel. It was like placing a house cat in front of a tiger…but even a house cat has claws, does it not?

The main attack was to serve as a mere distraction and deal as much damage to the enemy as possible. They weren’t expecting to win that battle, just buy enough time for the real assassins to do their work. But that wasn’t to say that Natsuki didn’t believe that they could survive, quite the contrary. The reason she chose the path she did was so that she could help save as many lives as possible during the raid.

But now all she could do was wait. It would still be a few days before everything was prepared for the mission, and in the meantime, she would ready herself for the task at hand; resting when she could, helping with the preparations when she was needed, and focusing her mind on the mission laid before her.


Chapter Notes:

1. Ah, Jousuke Kruger…I kind of imagine him as this big, gruff, teddy-bear of a guy (lol). You know what I mean though, he’s as tough as nails, but he also has a good heart. As far as appearance goes, I’d say the best example would be Reddas from Final Fantasy XII, just bigger and not so dark.

2. Contrary to how it may appear, Lucretia and Anya do not have a Shizuru/Natsuki type of relationship. Although they are both Columns, Anya doesn’t “serve” Lucretia like Shizuru does to Natsuki in the anime/manga. Just thought I’d make that point now, so keep that in mind during later chapters.

3. Some terminology to keep in mind:

-The Resistance: The group of men and women gathered in Southern Vedel (city of Anice) fighting to win their country from the ruling nobility. They mainly consist of the lower and middle classes of society and come from all over Vedel.

-Nobles/Northerners/Vedel National Army: The upper class group of men and women who are currently in control of Vedel. Their base of operations is located in the north at Vedel’s capital of Seris. They are also in control of the National Army.

3. I didn’t really notice until writing this chapter that the timeline got all screwy in the previous chapter (Shizuru/Garderobe got two days ahead of Natsuki/Vedel), so Natsuki got to play catch up and they’re now back to being the same. Phew.

Onwards to Part 5


Back to Final Distance Index - Back to Mai HiME Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction