Final Distance (part 28 of 30)

a Mai HiME fanfiction by jaded088

Back to Part 27 Untitled Document

Tap tap tap. Tap tap tap.

Russet colored eyes fluttered open to stare accusingly at the offending foot that had awakened the Graceful Amethyst from her light slumber before they slowly closed once again. A sigh resonated from the chest of the woman sitting in the seat next to the tranquil owner of those ruby orbs, and it was that, more so than the incessant tapping, that finally caused her to speak.

“You seem nervous.”

It was a simple statement. Blunt, to the point, and as a result, the young Gakuenchou-in-training groaned deeply.

Turning in her seat, Natsuki looked at Shizuru’s placid features with slight envy. “I just…What am I supposed to say?” she asked.

The question was directed more at the forces of the universe than her tawny-haired friend, but the older woman mustered a response anyway.

“It’s your mother, Natsuki. Just tell her the truth.”

“You don’t understand my mother, though,” the Vedelian whined as she shifted in her seat to face forward again, “It’s not that simple.”

“It isn’t?” Shizuru pressed, eyes still closed.

“No.” A pause, “It’s just, my mom and I had this plan—a promise really—that when the war ended, we would be the ones to get Vedel up and running again—“

“Mh.”

“—And I just feel like…like I’m going back on that promise, you know, by taking the position at Garderobe.”

“What does that have to do with your mother though? That sounds more like your feelings on the matter,” the Column remarked thoughtfully.

“She’s going to feel the same way. Like I’m betraying our country. Her trust,” Natsuki replied before burying her face in her palms. “I don’t know if I can face that disappointment,” was the muffled conclusion.

At that, Shizuru finally opened her eyes, and after taking a moment to study her sulking companion, she placed a gentle hand on Natsuki’s knee. “You were always one so willing to please, weren’t you?” she commented with a chuckle, “Do you not think that your mother will be proud of you? Supportive of your decision?”

Dropping her hands into her lap, Natsuki leaned her head back against the soft cushioning of her chair, eyes cast to the ceiling, “I don’t know.”

“I think,” the Column began, taking one of the younger girl’s hands in her own, “that if you are honest with your mother, that she cannot be angry with you. It’s your life, Natsuki. Your choice. If she were to deny you that freedom, would she not be contradicting her own beliefs?”

Turning her head, Natsuki’s viridian eyes met Shizuru’s as her clasped hand tightened. “I don’t want to let her down,” came the quiet, honest response.

“You won’t be,” Shizuru assured, returning the squeeze of their interlocked fingers.

“I hope you’re right.”


An unexpected visit, Natsuki had thought, would give her an upper hand in the discussion that was soon to come with her mother, and when she and Shizuru had stepped off of the plane onto Vedelian soil, they had indeed dodged a return ceremony of any form or fashion. What the younger girl had not considered in her tactical plan, however, was her near celebrity status since the war had ended. She possessed both a recognizable name and face, the fact that she and her mother shared so many common features not helping in the matter, so what would have been no surprise to one familiar with their own fame came as quite a shock to Vedel native and her baffled companion.

As they made their way through the Seris airport, the two women were bombarded by fellow travelers and airport workers alike. Whispered words of, ‘That’s Natsuki Kruger!’ or ‘Who’s that woman she’s with?’ amongst many other curious phrases reached their alert ears as they pushed their way through the mounting crowd, making sure to stay near one another so they wouldn’t be separated. Thankfully, airport security had reacted to the circulating activity, and a handful of guards had offered to escort them out of the building. Both Natsuki and Shizuru welcomed the assistance with graciousness, as the normally-short-turned-long trek across the building commenced.

“I wasn’t expecting this,” Natsuki managed to comment now that some breathing room from the masses was obtained.

“I didn’t know Natsuki was so popular,” Shizuru retorted back as she took a possessive step closer to her friend.

“Neither did I,” the raven-haired Otome replied as the small entourage managed to slip through another door, “This is just ridiculous.”

“Do we even know where we’re headed—“

“There’s a car outside waiting to take you to the courthouse,” one of the guards interrupted the Column, his gaze locked forward, “A message has already been sent to Senator Kruger about your arrival.”

“I-I see,” Natsuki muttered before her expression soured. “So much for coming in unannounced,” she mumbled agitatedly.

Leaning in closer, Shizuru playfully whispered into the younger girl’s ear, “You know, I could always materialize and fly us out of here myself…”

With a twinkle in her emerald eyes, Natsuki smiled for the first time since landing in her homeland, an amused chuckle actually managing to crack her somber expression as they continued their journey through the swarm of curious bystanders.

Onwards to Part 29


Back to Final Distance Index - Back to Mai HiME Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction