Final Distance (part 17 of 30)

a Mai HiME fanfiction by jaded088

Back to Part 16 Untitled Document

Natsuki rustled underneath the silky bed sheets, snuggling closer to the warmth that was next to her as she groaned, trying futilely to escape the first rays of the new morning. The source of comfortable heat stirred, emitting a low grumble at the movement, which effective caused one of the girl’s jade orbs to creep open, but what she saw caused both eyes to snap wide open.

Cheeks flushed vibrantly as Natsuki slowly tilted her head upward, the red hue deepening further as the sight of Shizuru’s sharp angelic features came into view, along with the memories of the previous night.

How did I…we…I must have…fallen asleep in her arms…but when did we get like this? Eh…I do tend to sleep like a log, don’t I? Oh man…” she pondered, and although most of her was quite embarrassed with the whole situation, another part was contented staying just like this.

They body beneath her inhaled deeply, and as Natsuki gazed up again, she met sleepy crimson orbs and a lazy smile.

“Good morning, Natsuki.”

“G-Good morning,” the other responded, lifting herself off of the older woman.

“Ara, you’re all red,” Shizuru stated, sitting up in the bed and placing a hand to Natsuki’s forehead, “You don’t have a fever, do you?”

“No, it’s not that…Hey, um…about last night…”

“Hm?”

“I, uh…I’m sorry…you know, for getting all emotional and stuff. It was childish of me…”

“Childish?” the brunette echoed, “There’s nothing childish about having feelings, Natsuki. It’s natural. It’s human, and last time I checked, Natsuki was certainly human, yes?”

“Yeah, but—“

“Don’t apologize. If Natsuki ever needs to talk about anything, you can come to me. Always.”

A small smiled tugged at the dark-haired girl’s lips, “Thanks, Shizuru.”

“Well then,” the Column began, stretching lightly before slipping out of the bed, “I suppose we should get dressed. They’ll be calling us down for breakfast soon.”

“Yeah,” Natsuki agreed, crawling out of the large bed as well.

A mischievous grin graced the older woman’s features, “Does Natsuki need any help putting on her uniform?”

“Wh-What?! N-No! I can do it myself!”

“Mou…Maybe Natsuki could help me into my dress then?”

“A-Absolutely not!”

The other sighed as she began to walk out the door, but not before sending the younger girl a suggestive wink, “Perhaps another time then.”

“Shizuru!” Natsuki protested, pouting at the audible giggles fading down the hall.


It was at the breakfast table that Natsuki quickly discovered why it wasn’t a wise idea to sit next to Shizuru.

Throughout the entire meal, the older woman’s wandering hands had placed teasing touches all over the poor girl’s sensitive right leg under the cover of the table, and whenever Natsuki would get the chance to send her a vicious glare, she would only be met with one of Shizuru’s airy grins. It also became known to Natsuki that Anh was quite aware of what was going on and was choosing to do absolutely nothing about it. Hell, if she hadn’t been seated across the table, she probably would have been helping her understudy in the sensual torture, but her amused smile still didn’t help the situation, or Natsuki’s rising temper.

Natsuki had to fight to maintain her composure throughout her conversation with King Bao over the current political situation in Vedel, not wanting to show any disrespect to the royalty who was graciously housing her for the time being. After the meal was over and the two were in the privacy of gardens, however, Natsuki finally got to release all her pent up energy.

“You…YOU!”

“Me?” Shizuru murmured, tilting her head to the side as she dumbly pointed to herself.

“Grr…Why were you doing that?! Through the entire meal!”

“Whatever are you talking about?”

Green eyes thinned dangerously, “Don’t even act like you don’t know.”

A sigh, “I was just trying to help Natsuki relax—“

“RELAX! Relax?! Oh, no-no-no…That was anything but relaxing, Shizuru.”

The accused grinned slyly, “Then Natsuki enjoyed it, hm?”

“Wh-What?!”

“We could continue our little session…if you’d like…” Shizuru purred, walking around the girl, allowing one of her hands to lightly run across Natsuki’s back from shoulder to shoulder.

The girl’s body visibly shuddered, but before she could argue any further, Anh came into view.

“I’m not interrupting anything, am I?”

“No, Anh Onee-sama,” the older of the two stated, easily slipping back into her proper demeanor, “Did you need us for something?”

“I was just curious as to how long you would both be staying with us,” the gray-eyed woman questioned, sitting down on one of the intricately carved stone benches.

“Our being here is not any trouble, is it?” Shizuru was quick to inquire.

“Of course not, Shizuru-san.”

“Well, if I do recall, the United Nation’s anniversary is coming up within the next week—“

“Oh yeah!” Natsuki suddenly exclaimed, digging into the inside pocket of her uniform and pulling out a folded letter that she promptly handed over to the Meister, “I was supposed to deliver this to King Bao from Headmistress Oleander. It’s an official invitation to the ceremony.”

“I see,” Anh mumbled, scanning over the letter, “If that’s the case, how about we all travel together then? That is, if you don’t mind staying until the time for the celebration.”

“That sounds like a fine idea, Onee-sama. Natsuki?”

“It’s fine by me, as long as we’re not being a burden,” the girl replied, rubbing the back of her neck.

“Think nothing of it. Father is always more than happy to host friends of our family” the wielder of the Wisdom Azurite responded as she stood, “Now, if you would excuse me, I shall go inform him of the anniversary.”

Once the older woman had departed, Natsuki promptly plopped down on the now vacant seat, “A party, huh? Is that something you have to attend?”

“Well, I am a Column,” the chestnut-haired beauty answered, sauntering over to a patch of flowers to inspect.

“At least I’ll be exempt,” the girl commented with a smirk.

“You don’t like parties?”

“If they’re official, then no. They’re usually way too flashy.”

“And what makes you think you’re exempt from this one?” Shizuru questioned from her crouched position.

“Eh?”

“If I’m going, then Natsuki is certainly coming with me.”

“What? Why?”

“I can’t attend without having a date, now can I?”


AN: Okay, I thought I might have to address this. Even though it really sounds like it, which I didn’t intend for it to be that way, no, Natusuki and Shizuru did not have sex…Not yet anyway XD

All that happened was after Natsuki dozed off, Shizuru eventually tucked them in, and since Natsuki was in such an emotional state, she decided to stay rather than go back to her own room. Nothing more, I promise, but it certainly looks that way, doesn’t it? I apologize for any misconceptions.

Onwards to Part 18


Back to Final Distance Index - Back to Mai HiME Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction