Final Distance (part 1 of 30)

a Mai HiME fanfiction by jaded088

Untitled Document

I want to see you, but an invisible wave pushes us. Again, just a little more distance…”

– Utada Hikaru, Final Distance —


INTRODUCTION


Story Notes:

1. This piece takes place between the graduation day of Natsuki Kruger and the beginning of the Mai-Otome series, detailing the lives of both Kruger and Shizuru Viola during that time. There will be flashbacks from time to time for background information as well.

2. I will probably be taking aspects from the anime and the manga series along with my own twist to things, so inevitably inconsistencies with the original concept of Mai-Otome are going to occur.

3. There’s no guarantee as to how this is going to turn out. I don’t know how long it’s going to be, or if it’ll even be completed. That partially depends on myself, you the readers, and whether or not it begins to hinder the progress of my other story. Just a fair warning.


Graduation was nearly as flawless as it was every year at Garderobe Academy.

Headmistress Lucretia Oleander delivered her congratulatory speech to the graduating Pearls and expressed her utmost confidence in the rising Corals. Wave after wave of young girl’s walked across the stage receiving either new GEMs or a piece of paper proving to the world that they had successfully completed the difficult Garderobe curriculum, some even receiving awards for their efforts in the various classes the school offered.

The only slight hitch came when it was time to announce the top Pearl, only for her to not rise and accept the praise she had dutifully earned.

Throughout the extravagant ceremony so full of beaming faces, something she had been working so hard for these past years, Natsuki wasn’t able to focus in the least. In fact, she wasn’t even aware that her name had been called to retrieve her own diploma until Laura had promptly delivered a startling elbow shot to her ribs.

It wasn’t until after graduation had ended and the after-party, which was far too formal for Natsuki’s taste, had begun that the dark-haired girl was requested in the Gakuenchou’s office. The other girl’s had looked at Natsuki with great concern when Miss Maria had solemnly informed the quiet girl and led her away, and she was unable to give her classmates any reassurance as she disappeared through the giant doors of the dancehall to face the unknown.


Lucretia Oleander sat at her desk, gnawing away on her bottom lip like she had her entire life when she was worried. And now, at the graceful age of thirty-eight, she was indeed worried, which only caused her to slip into her old habit. Luckily though, an appropriately placed hand hid this act quite nicely.

The woman’s deep blue eyes watched unwavering as Miss Maria walked through the door of her office, an obviously distressed Natsuki Kruger trailing a few steps behind. Once the older woman had left the two alone, the Gakuenchou took a moment to glance over her number two Pearl.

Kruger had come from the turbulent land of Vedel, a place that was constantly in a state of civil war, and thankfully quite a distance away from Garderobe. Vedel generally didn’t care to send any of its young women to the school, Natsuki actually being the first under the request of her mother, Saeko Kruger, a politician whom had taken over the resistance against the corrupt royalty who currently ruled the country after her husband had been killed in battle.

When asked why she wished to attend, the emerald-eyed girl would answer, without hesitation, that it was “To become strong enough to help my country.” And Natsuki had worked hard; there was no doubt about that. Lucretia had to admit that she had a level of respect for the determined girl, but at the same time, she was uncomfortable with the serious aura that Kruger tended to exude, almost as if the future of her homeland had been fully set upon her young shoulders. The heavy responsibility was certainly there, it was painfully present in those striking jade orbs, but at the same time, the girl put up a strong, impenetrable exterior to shield herself from it, and inevitably, anyone who tried to help ease her burden.

There were only a handful of people Natsuki seemed to even consider trustworthy at the school, one of which Lucretia had brought her here to question about, and with a sigh, she reluctantly began her interrogation.

“I noticed that your roommate, Mai Tokiha, wasn’t present at today’s ceremony…”

“Yes, ma’am. That’s correct.”

“Would you happen to know why she didn’t attend?”

Natsuki squinted at the older woman’s words, unconsciously thumbing the small piece of paper in her hands that were hidden behind her back as she thought about the words Mai had left in her letter.

Dear Natsuki,

Forgive me for being so sudden, but I just can’t go through with the graduation ceremony. Right now, I’m not ready to make that kind of decision before I can sort out all of my thoughts and feelings. Becoming an Otome, especially a Column, is a serious matter, you taught me that more than anyone, Natsuki, and I don’t want to disrespect you and the other girls who have worked so hard to get to this point. That’s why I’m leaving, to take some time to discover myself before I finally decide. Please, don’t be too upset with me, and I hope my actions do not cause you too much trouble (I’m sure you’ll get me back later if I do). Once I’ve made my decision, you will definitely be the first to know, I promise! Until then, take care, Natsuki.

Love,

Mai Tokiha

PS: Congratulations on graduating! Despite the numbers, we all know you’re the best Otome!

“Well, Natsuki?” the Headmistress pressed at the lack of response, which caused the girl in question to jump.

“S-Sorry, Gakuenchou. I…I…”

“Yes?”

Walking up to Oleander-sama’s desk, Natsuki silently placed the note on the dark oak wood, and once the principal had read over it thoroughly, she released an unhappy sigh as she combed her fingers through her shoulder-length rust colored hair.

“So it was more serious than I thought,” the woman mumbled to herself before turning back to the girl standing in front of her, “And she didn’t tell you anything? Where she was going?”

“N-No, ma’am…” Natsuki dejectedly informed her.

“I see...Do you have any clue as to where Tokiha-san might have gone?”

“I’m afraid not, ma’am.”

Folding the piece of paper back over, Lucretia stood and walked around her desk to stand beside her raven-haired pupil and handed her the note, which Natsuki swiftly returned to the sash of her uniform.

“You’re friend was to become the newest member of the Five Columns, you know?”

“Yes, ma’am. Mai told me of your decision.”

You were a candidate for the position as well, Miss Kruger.”

The girl’s eyes immediately widened, “G-Gakue—“

“Ah, forgive me. Tonight is your graduation party, and I don’t mean to keep you from it,” the woman suddenly proclaimed, placing her hands on Natsuki’s shoulders, “Congratulations, Natsuki. I’m very proud of you.”

“Th-Thank you, Headmistress.”

Once the woman had removed herself and started back to her desk, Natsuki made to leave before the principal suddenly called out to her and hesitatingly waved her over. With a baffled expression, the girl complied and watched as Oleander-sama removed an envelope from her desk, staring at the thing thoughtfully, almost as if she was arguing with herself over what to do with it, before she slowly stretch her arm out to Natsuki who carefully took the envelope in her hands.

Read that in the morning,” the Headmistress had instructed her before she left the room, but upon setting her eyes on the emblem of Vedel accompanied by her family crest printed on the envelope, Natsuki wasted no time in ripping the letter open.

Onwards to Part 2


Back to Final Distance Index - Back to Mai HiME Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction