The Power of Fate (part 8 of 13)

a Higurashi no Naku Koro ni fanfiction by MousE0910

Back to Part 7>

The Great Hinamizawa Disaster

"Damn! Damn! This is not good! What's wrong with me?" Rika thought as she ran through the forest. Hanyuu was floating behind her. "Everybody... Dead... Why couldn't I manipulate with Satoshi's lighter? Was it the shock at seeing it and realizing the danger? No... that's not it. Normally, it wouldn't pose any threat to me. Then why? Could it be...? No, no, no. That's impossible."

Rika tried to understand it... It couldn't be that lighter... But it looked the same... Rika looked at Hanyuu and thought about the lighter but soon dissmissed that thought. There are more important thing right now. She couldn't stop the school from being destroyed in a fire and everybody in there died. She wanted to use them but that was no longer possible. On top of that, Chie-sensei probably survived, since Satoshi threw her out of window shortly after the fire started and she saw everything. It was most probable that the police is already looking for her. She had to hide. Rika changed her direction to the Furude Shrine. "With a little luck, they won't dare to open it." Rika counted on the police just checking the door and not searching the inside. "I'll have to use the window."

After Rika got in, she started healing Hanyuu.

"Au... Au..." Hanyuu slowly opened her eyes and saw Rika's face above her. "Rika! You damned sadist! I hate you! I really hate you!"

"Be quiet or I'll knock you out again. The police is looking for us."

"The police? How is this possible?"

"It's all your fault! You wanted to save Satoko?" Rika looked into Hanyuu's eyes and paused for a while. "She is dead."

"What? No! You killed her! You murderer!" Hanyuu tried to tackle Rika down but this time, she didn't even finish her first step when she was stopped by Rika's powers.

"You think I'll get distracted enough to not notice your thoughts? It may have worked once, but it won't work twice! I didn't kill Satoko."

"Then who did? Nobody else would do that!"

"It was Satoshi."

"Satoshi? But he is at the clinic, isn't he? And why would he kill his own sister in the first place?"

"Well, it's a little more complicated. Here's how it happened."

After Rika explained everything, she tied Hanyuu to be sure she won't try anything and lied down on a futon she brought here in the past. It has been a long day. Rika's eyes started to close...

Rika woke up a few hours later. She saw Hanyuu sleeping on the floor, still tied on the floor. She had to be exhausted. That poor thing. Suddenly, Rika heard some voices. They seemed familiar.

"This is the sacred Furude Shrine, we can't just go in, Akasaka!"

"Trust me Ooishi, I'm sure Rika is in there."

"Still, we don't have the key..."

"That's not a problem."

"What are you do-"

The door came down with a crash and Hanyuu woke up with a startle.

"Rika? Are you in there? This is Akasaka! Don't worry, everything will be alright!"

"No, you idiot. Nothing will ever be alright." Rika thought to herself. She waited in the darkness for the right chance.

"I'm going in. Cover me!"

"Roger that, Akasaka!"

Rika saw Akasaka come in and almost trip on Hanyuu.

"Ooishi! There's someone tied up in here!" Akasaka called while he tried to see through the night. "Hanyuu?"

Rika didn't hesitate. She slammed a chair into Akasaka, throwing him against wall.

"Akasaka! What was that sound? Are you okay?"

Rika picked up Hanyuu, tore the ropes and lifted a knife she found before in one of the chests. She ran to the exit and stabbed the knife into Ooishi while she was running. She made sure that Hanyuu is behind her by using her telekinesis.

Her only chance now was to run to the mountains. As she made her way through the forest, several policemen with shotguns appeared before her. Immediately, Rika turned and began running in the opposite direction, only to face more armed policemen. Before she could run, the policemen surrounded her completely. All of them were aiming at Rika and Hanyuu. There was no escape.

"Let us through." Akasaka and Ooishi came to the circle. Ooishi had a piece of cloth wrapped around a wound on his arm. It was fresh.

"What were you thinking Rika, when you stabbed me?" Ooishi asked in an angry tone.

"Just come with us peacefully, Rika. We will sort this mess up." Akasaka smiled at Rika.

"Never! You will not arrest me and lock me up! I'd rather die!"

"You have changed a lot... That's not like you." Akasaka's smile faded.

"You can all go to hell!"

"Rika, we are all veteran policemen, we have you surrounded and we have weapons. We can use force if we want. You cannot resist. It is better for you to submit."

"We'll see who will submit..." Rika gathered all of her focus and used it to lift the guns of the policemen and turn them around, so they would aim at the policemen instead.

"W-What are you doing?" Akasaka asked, clearly shaken by the sight.

Instead of answering, Rika only grinned. She used her telekinesis to pull the triggers.

Everybody around them exploded in a violent impact of shotgun hit from point-blank range. The blood littered the four remaining persons. Hanyuu fainted. Akasaka and Ooishi just stood there, staring in shock.

"What were you saying? Something about having me surrounded? I wouldn't call this 'surrounded'." Rika laughed maniacally.

Ooishi came to his senses. "What have you done?"

He wielded his pistol and aimed it at Rika. Without hesitation, he fired.

Rika expected the bullet and tried to stop it. It took her a great deal of focus to accomplish that. She barely made it. It stopped not even a half-inch far from her head. With extreme focus, she flung the bullet back at Ooishi. He looked surprised as his very own bullet rushed back against him. Rika saw his head splatter. Her legs felt weak. Operating so many guns at once sapped her strength. Rika fell on her knees, unable to stand anymore. She looked up and saw Akasaka aiming at her head. She knew she would not be able to stop the bullet.

"Akasaka..."

"I'm sorry Rika."

Akasaka pulled the trigger.

Pain... Sorrow... Death...

Rika found herself floating in the 'place between worlds'.

"Why am I here again? Did I die?"

Rika's memories of her last world returned. So, she really did die, even with her powers.

"Hanyuu! Where are you?" Rika shouted desperately.

"I am here, Mistress Rika." Hanyuu appeared beside Rika.

"Send me to another world!"

"I cannot do that."

"You defy me?"

"No... It's just that I don't have the power to do so. The power of Fate is now yours Rika."

"Is that so?" Rika focused on her previous world. A huge crystal appeared before her. She could see Akasaka crying over her dead body. She could see him clawing at his throat. Rika knew what is going to happen. She was the Queen Carrier after all. Soon, everybody in Hinamizawa will die of the Hinamizawa syndrome. She couldn't care less.

Rika switched the crystal with another one, this one containing new, pure world.

"Come Hanyuu, let's go to this world."

"No! I don't want to go with you! You are evil! Evil, evil, evil!"

"I don't care about what you want or don't want."

Rika grabbed Hanyuu and touched the crystal. A bright light emitted and blinded them.

Rika woke up. She was in her futon in the Furude Estate. Next to her, Satoko and Hanyuu were sleeping. Something came to Rika's mind. She almost forgot. Rika crawled to Hanyuu, covered her mouth and gently woke her.

"Come with me. Don't make a sound."

Hanyuu nodded her head and got out of her futon.

They changed from their pajamas and went out.

"Where are we going?" Hanyuu asked innocently.

Rika realized that Hanyuu doesn't remember anything. She touched Hanyuu's forehead and channeled her power. Hanyuu's eyes grew large as her memories returned.

She opened her mouth to say something but when she looked at Rika, she closed it again.

The two girls reached the sacred storehouse. Hanyuu's face lost her color. She knew what was inside.

Rika smiled cruelly at Hanyuu as she opened the door.

"Nobody will hear us here." Rika kicked Hanyuu inside and locked the door again.

"Stand up!" Rika ordered.

Hanyuu slowly lifted herself from the ground.

Rika suddenly slammed a fist to Hanyuu's stomach. Hanyuu fell on her hands and vomited. Rika immediately brought her knee to Hanyuu's face.

"Why? Why are you doing this? I have obeyed you completely!" Hanyuu wailed on ground.

"Have you already forgotten about your treason? I promised you will suffer for that. I intend to fulfill that promise."

Rika kicked Hanyuu into her ribs hardly. She heard some of them crack. Hanyuu squealed and lost her consciousness.

This time, Rika didn't use her powers to heal and wake up Hanyuu. She crouched and slapped her hard across the face.

"Wake up! I'm not done with you."

Hanyuu slowly opened her eyes and realized where she is. She tried to turn but shrieked in pain from her broken ribs instead.

"Good. Now, let's continue." Rika looked coldly at Hanyuu.

"No, please stop! This is too much!" Hanyuu cried.

"Too much? I have not yet even begun."

Onwards to Part 9


Back to The Power of Fate Index - Back to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction