The Power of Fate (part 6 of 13)

a Higurashi no Naku Koro ni fanfiction by MousE0910

Back to Part 5

The Culprit Revealed

"OK, can you please repeat the whole story again?" The police officer asked.

"I have already told you everything. But as you wish, I'll tell it once more." Chie-sensei has been sitting at the police station, clearly shocked by everything that has happened.

"Let's start when the culprit showed up. You said he had a gun?"

"Yes, that's right. He came and started aiming the gun around, shouting."

"What exactly did he say?"

"I don't remember it exactly but it was something about some conspiracy and The Irie Clinic."

"Ah yes, the Irie Clinic. That's where we found the bodies of Dr. Irie and Mr. Kasai. We can assume it was the same culprit."

"Oh, I completely forgot. He also said several times that he wants to speak with the head of 'Tokyo'. I didn't understand any of it. He seemed like a madmen to me."

"Hmm, 'Tokyo' you say? That's strange... Never mind. Please continue."

"Well, he threatened me that he'll start executing the children if anybody tries anything"

"So, naturally, you didn't resist, am I right?"

"Of course I didn't resist. I have responsibility for the children. He then tied everyone up and gagged us."

"I guess he wanted some hostages. Well, what happened next?"

"Well, he stood there in a shock-like state. I think he suffered from paranoia as he shot the gun several times whenever he heard a bird or the wind. He seemed scared. And he also scratched at his neck a lot."

"Hmm, scratched at his neck... I see... And then? You said one of your students suddenly came in, right?"

"That's right. Suddenly the door slammed open and Hōjō Satoko came in. She wanted to tell us something about Rika, when she saw us and, unsurprisingly, stared in a shock. Before she could realize what was happening, the culprit smashed her over the head with a baseball bat and tied her up."

"I see. So she didn't even know what was happening. But, as you said, she probably knew something about Rika."

"Yes, it looks like she did. The whole part with Rika is really strange."

"Yes, that's the most mysterious part. You said you saw the door being ripped off and Rika rushed through, if I'm not mistaken."

"That's true, although I can't understand how could such a small girl tear down those doors. Even the strongest man couldn't do it in such a fashion."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, first, she was standing too far from the door when they were ripped off. Second, the door weren't kicked down, the just ripped themselves off the wall and flew behind her. I know it sounds impossible, but I swear, I know what I have seen."

"Please, tell us everything, no matter how impossible it may seem."

"Thank you. This wasn't the only strange and impossible thing that happened. As I said, Rika came in and stared in shock for a while at the culprit. He noticed her and immediately aimed at her. By that time, she has already come to her senses, I could see it in her eyes, but she didn't seem scared. She calmly looked around the class, as if looking for something or somebody."

"How did the culprit react?"

"He became panicked. He aimed the gun with one hand and scratched viciously at his neck with his other hand. He even cut himself a little. He started screaming at Rika that if she doesn't take him to 'Tokyo' he'll start killing the kids... And then..." Chie sobbed a little.

"And then? What happened after that? What did Rika reply?"

"S... She said..." Chie's voice broke. Tears started pouring from her eyes.

"Calm down... Here, grab some tissues." The policeman handed her a tissue box. "Please it's important. What did Rika reply?"

"T...Thank you. I remember exactly what she replied. She said: 'Like I do care'. It was horrible! He came from one kid to another and then... And then... He put the gun to their heads and… pulled the trigger. Rika watched it all without showing any emotion. It made me sick. If I ever find her I'll kill her for sure! I'll kill her! Ah... I'm sorry... I got carried off a little."

"That's okay. It's understandable after everything you went through. Now, could you please continue?"

"Yes, yes, of course. He executed the children one after another but when he came to Ryuguu Rena, Rika called at him: 'Stop. If you touch her, I'll kill you on the spot.' "

"Ryuguu Rena... Interesting... How did he react to that?"

"He aimed the gun back at Rika shouting: 'Shut up! You can't kill me from where you are standing, but I can kill you right now."

"That certainly was true. What did Rika do?"

"That's the strange part. She just smiled which drove him mad and he shot at her."

"But she survived and now, she is wounded from the shot, right?"

"No, she isn't. I couldn't believe what I have seen. But it all really happened. The bullet stopped before Rika. It just stopped in the air. That's impossible. But it really did!"

"Bullet stopped in the air? That really is strange. Tell me more, please."

"He didn't believe it, too. He shot several bullets at Rika, but they all stopped in the air. Suddenly, the gun lifted from his hand and floated through air to Rika."

"Wait a minute. The gun floated? Are you sure he didn't throw it?"

"Yes, I'm sure. It landed right into Rika's hand. She grinned and shot at the culprit. However, there was only one last bullet and she hit him in his left shoulder."

"So he survived the shot, is that right?"

"Yes, he survived, but it only made him more paranoid. He took a lighter from his pocket and said that he spilled gas everywhere and that He is going to light it."

"Ah, so that's how the fire started, right?"

"Yes, but the strangest thing was Rika's expression when he pulled out the lighter. All the time, Rika seemed absolutely calm but when he pulled the lighter, her face changed. She looked confused and scared."

"So the culprit then started the fire. How did you get out?"

"Well, the culprit broke a window and threw me through there. He probably wanted to take me hostage. However, when he tried to climb out of the window, I heard a strange sound, like when a bone snaps. He then collapsed to the ground, screaming in pain. After a little while, the fire engulfed the whole building. I heard the screams of the few who survived. Ryuguu Rena, The Sonozaki Twins, Maebara Keiichi, Hōjō Satoko and, of course, the culprit. I thought Rika was trapped in there too but suddenly, a wall near me exploded and I saw Rika running from the school to the forest. And the strangest thing was that behind Rika, bloodied Furude Hanyuu, Rika's distant relative, was floating in the air. She left them inside. Those poor children. They didn't even get a chance to save themselves. They couldn't move and were burned alive. All because of her. I'll find her and kill her. I promise you that."

"Now, now. Don't do anything stupid. I know you want your revenge, but please let the police do their work. You can help us if you want. Do you know anything about the culprit?"

"He seemed similar to a student who went missing last year, but it couldn't be him. This culprit looked a little else than the student and he was completely crazy. The student who disappeared would never do that. That's all I... Know..."

Chie's eyes grew large as she realized something. "Oh my god. It WAS him! Of course! It all makes sense now! The way he looked at Satoko… The skill with which he handled the baseball bat…

"Officer, I know who the culprit was. His name was Hōjō Satoshi."

Onwards to Part 7


Back to The Power of Fate Index - Back to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction